Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Difference between a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:53 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Hilton Garden Inn vs Hampton Inn

Hi All,
I've looked at the stickies and searched past threads but am unable to find a response.

I'm looking for cheaper hotels in the Minneapolis/St Paul area and need to know the difference between Hilton Garden Inns vs. Hampton Inns. If you had a choice of either chain, which hotel would you go with and why?

As far as points, HGI earns 10 points/dollar spent on all room charges like room service, etc. Hampton only earns points on room rate.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going for miles, you get 100 w/ Hampton but 500 w /HGI.

On the MY Way preference, forgoing b'fast/upgrade gets you 750 points; I think it's only 250 points with Hampton.

The HGI is usually a lot newer and a bit more upscale. Many have cook-to-order breakfasts.

All else being equal, I'd go for the HGI. Depends on the price differential.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BigLar
All else being equal, I'd go for the HGI. Depends on the price differential.
Agree completely.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
HGI is the next notch up in the brand chain. Hampton is Chevy, HGI is Pontiac... or something like that.

Hamptons are a mix of purpose-built and acquired/reflagged properties, some new, some old. They vary dramatically from well-kept suburban properties to ratty in-town towers in need of rehab. HGIs are mostly newer and purpose-built, therefore more uniform, and I've never walked into an HGI and thought it needed renovation.

Every HGI I've ever seen has a pool, fitness center, lobby bar, and conference rooms. Hamptons vary wildly -- some have none of the above, and I don't think any have a bar (although one HI I like in suburban Atlanta used to put out a big Coleman cooler of longneck beers each evening).

Hamptons have a free lobby "continental breakfast" on paper plates with one or two heat-and-serve hot items. HGIs have a complete breakfast bar + cooked breakfast option but it's not free (though normally comped for Gold/Diamond elites).

HGIs usually have room service; Hamptons don't.

Both have free wifi.

I always look for an HGI first -- then default to a Hampton if I can't find one. It's a nicer experience for not too much more money -- sometimes a bit less.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Thanks for your input.
Hamptons vary wildly -- some have none of the above, and I don't think any have a bar (although one HI I like in suburban Atlanta used to put out a big Coleman cooler of longneck beers each evening).
Now that's funny.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by badjuju
Thanks for your input.
Hamptons vary wildly -- some have none of the above, and I don't think any have a bar (although one HI I like in suburban Atlanta used to put out a big Coleman cooler of longneck beers each evening).
Now that's funny.
Then you haven't been to the Hampton Inn in Pennsville, NJ (in the shadow of the Delaware Memorial Bridge). Cocktail bar in the lobby.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
It can be hard to make generalizations... Sometimes Hamptons have more limited food (simple, but free, buffet breakfast, no restaurant) while the HGIs have more of a full breakfast, and restaurants. Pool, fitness center, business center and other amenities may vary. I'd suggest comparing the two hotels directly as to what you like and will use.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
From my experiences (which are limited), HGI's have 1 or 2 types of standard rooms (2 queens or 1 king), and that's pretty much it. Yes, they do have a nicer lobby, if that's what you're into.

HI's (at least the Hampton Inn & Suites versions) can have a wide variety of suites, with upgrade options available. Even as a Silver last year, I was upgraded to a Jr Suite at the HI in Kingman, AZ (which by the way is a nice property). I got a full suite at the HI in Flag in late Jan, full kitchen, living room, bedroom, huge bath, etc.

Depends what you're into I guess. I typically don't spend too much time in the hotel lobby, and do spend time in my room, so I'd prefer to have a nicer/larger room. I'll always do the 'show all room types' when booking to see what the property has. I'm not a fussy breakfast eater, usually just have cereal, so HI's are fine for me.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:38 pm
Suspended

To me an HI is a Motel, while a HGI is an Upscale Motel.

The older HIs are a hit or miss when it comes to what they offer, while you wont have that problem at a HGI. I chose where I'll stay all according to the rates that are being charged. At times Ive found HGIs to be cheaper then the HI just down the block, although the rule is an HGI will be more.

If Im simply on the road and in transit then an HI is perfect and does the job.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
From my experiences (which are limited), HGI's have 1 or 2 types of standard rooms (2 queens or 1 king), and that's pretty much it.
The HGI I frequent often puts me into a Jr. Suite or a large handicapped room. Both of which have a lot of room, and I'm quite happy with them.

I've been in (newer) Hamptons where I've gotten Jacuzzi suites and so on, so -- you're right. Hamptons tend to have more variety, but the HGI's do have some upgrade possibilities.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:02 am

Programs: UA MP, M&M, AMEX
HGI vs HI New York

delete

Last edited by benpop; Mar 10, 2010 at 3:51 am
Old Apr 7, 2011, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
A few years on, I wonder if people still feel the same about the distinctions between HGI and HI? I must have been lucky, because all the HIs I've stayed at have been fairly nice. tls
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thelostshark
A few years on, I wonder if people still feel the same about the distinctions between HGI and HI? I must have been lucky, because all the HIs I've stayed at have been fairly nice. tls
All else being equal (rate, close to work, parking fees, etc) HGI every time.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Garbage CRT TVs are pretty prevalent at Hamptons - not that every HGI has LCDs + HD programming. I am not a fan of the Hampton breakfast. I'll pay more for HGI, but how much more can vary.
Old Apr 8, 2011, 10:55 pm

Interesting comments in this thread, not all of which agree with my experience. A bunch of new Hampton's built in the NW US in the last three years and I have stayed in a bunch of them. They are all almost exactly the same: new, clean, nice enough, but impersonal and nothing notable about them. I have only stayed in a couple of HGIs, but certainly prefer them to the HIs. The real difference though, if you are Gold, is the quality of the free breakfast. You get tired of the Hampton breakfast pretty quickly, and it is the same everywhere I have been. The HGI breakfast, on the other hand, is cooked to order and very good. The HGIs have also been good about giving us not only the two comped breakfasts Golds are entitled to, but also giving us a couple more when we have guests for the meal. Not expected, but much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.