Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond yet never upgraded!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Thumbs down Diamond yet never upgraded!

I have been a Diamond Member for quite some time and travel to various locations weekly - always choosing a Hilton brand. I seem to never be upgraded and find it ridiculous to ask (also to be told, sorry no). You clearly see our standing - UPGRADE US! Not every hotel is booked (evident) nor are the rooms purchased. I will seriously be contemplating Marriott Rewards for 2018 if your new message isn't to have clerks check and upgrade automatically!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I get upgraded regularly, though not to palatial suites suitable for a rock star.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
It would be helpful to get some examples here. For example, Embassy Suites don't typically have higher quality rooms to upgrade to. Hamptons can put you in a "Suite", which is just a bigger standard room, and isn't a big deal. I have never seen any true upgrade at a HGI. Sometimes an upgrade is simply a better view room, or a higher level room if they charge more for those. So what are you expecting? Presidential Suite every time?

And yes, I am a Diamond 7 of the 8 years I have been with HH, get upgraded probably half the time. I will ask at the front desk if there is an upgraded room available. I have gotten better view rooms, larger corner rooms, but only one or two true suite upgrades. But I try to minimize the DYKWIA attitude...
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I have received many full suite upgrades in Hiltons and Conrads. I have also received the room i booked many times. YMMV.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you can't be bothered to ask, it can't be that important to you at the time. So, something has changed.

If you think that the grass is greener at another chain, move ----- as you have said you will "seriously consider" ----- to that chain.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I have received many full suite upgrades in Hiltons and Conrads. I have also received the room i booked many times. YMMV.
This. ^

I've been upgraded and I've not been upgraded. I don't care either way.

But hope that rant made OP feel better.
krazykanuck and markko like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
OP says they're staying at a Hilton brand. Which one? There are like 4,000 different Hilton brands now, and only a handful actually have upgrades as a benefit.

Neil
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
It would be helpful to get some examples here. For example, Embassy Suites don't typically have higher quality rooms to upgrade to. Hamptons can put you in a "Suite", which is just a bigger standard room, and isn't a big deal. I have never seen any true upgrade at a HGI. Sometimes an upgrade is simply a better view room, or a higher level room if they charge more for those. So what are you expecting? Presidential Suite every time?

And yes, I am a Diamond 7 of the 8 years I have been with HH, get upgraded probably half the time. I will ask at the front desk if there is an upgraded room available. I have gotten better view rooms, larger corner rooms, but only one or two true suite upgrades. But I try to minimize the DYKWIA attitude...
This. Its not like every hotel has these massive suites and you are simply being locked out of them.

Although, never say never about HGI. I stayed at one this year in Montevideo, Uruguay it was true suite with 1.5 baths huge sitting/living room. Separate bedroom with massive bathroom and a nice private balcony. The second nicest room I saw all year and it was at an HGI. Guy at the front desk couldn't have been more cheerful oh you are a diamond you belong in a suite.

Obliviously, that opinion isn't shared by all the front desk staff at every Hilton Property around the world, but you can find some good eggs and some surprising rooms out there.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
As a diamond, I almost always get upgraded to a "club" room. So, at the very least, that's one level "below" suites. In terms of suites, I never ask and maybe 10% of the time am upgraded to one. I must admit it's disappointing, but it's also expected. I don't feel like diamond "entitles" me to a suite and thus the "bar" is low for Hilton. Whereas, my wife is Globalist at Hyatt and our upgrade percentage is about the same and for HER I do feel both disappointing and angry. Hyatt seems to "promise" more for being an elite and thus the fact they don't deliver makes me angry.

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
This. Its not like every hotel has these massive suites and you are simply being locked out of them.

Although, never say never about HGI. I stayed at one this year in Montevideo, Uruguay it was true suite with 1.5 baths huge sitting/living room. Separate bedroom with massive bathroom and a nice private balcony. The second nicest room I saw all year and it was at an HGI. Guy at the front desk couldn't have been more cheerful oh you are a diamond you belong in a suite.

Obliviously, that opinion isn't shared by all the front desk staff at every Hilton Property around the world, but you can find some good eggs and some surprising rooms out there.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by shebuilt
I have been a Diamond Member for quite some time and travel to various locations weekly - always choosing a Hilton brand. I seem to never be upgraded and find it ridiculous to ask (also to be told, sorry no). You clearly see our standing - UPGRADE US! Not every hotel is booked (evident) nor are the rooms purchased. I will seriously be contemplating Marriott Rewards for 2018 if your new message isn't to have clerks check and upgrade automatically!
We all have a choice. If Hiltonhonors is not meeting your expectations then feel free to switch your loyalty to Marriott. Don't contemplate it just make the jump, perhaps your experience may be better.

Ive had diamond status with Hilton for many years and cant ever recall a time where I have not received an upgrade. Ive always been made to feel a very valued guest and they always look after me so well wherever my travels take me in the world
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:11 pm

Also remember that upgrades are only part of the program at W-A, Conrad, Hilton, Curio, DT, and Tapestry. Although I've gotten great upgrades at other brands, upgrades are not technically part of the benefits at ES, HGI, Hampton, HWS, H2S, or HGVC.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:12 pm

Diamond for 1 year: I am upgraded regularly including suites. I always ask which seems to be the important part. I specifically say, "Are there any upgrades available" when I checkin. They then check and put me in one. I'd say I'm 75% upgraded with maybe 25% of those to suites.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
As a Diamond, I find that booking standard awards, AAA or other discounted rates rarely if ever result in ANY kind of an upgrade at Hilton and DT properties, particularly over the past 2 - 3 years.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by diver858
As a Diamond, I find that booking standard awards, AAA or other discounted rates rarely if ever result in ANY kind of an upgrade at Hilton and DT properties, particularly over the past 2 - 3 years.
I disagree that AAA hurts upgrades likelihood as i use it all the time. Failing to ask on the other hand....
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
5-year diamond road warrior here....

Vast majority of my paid stays are HIs and HGIs where they know me by name. I was put into a suite at an HGI for the first time after 20+ stays in the last 18 months after there were issues with my paid room.

Almost all all of my reward stays are WA and Hilton resorts. I’ve been upgraded once in 5 years. Most recently, I specifically inquired about an available upgrade to a specific room that was still bookable online and was told “no” by the front desk. This was at a Hilton resort. They wouldn’t even tell me how much it would cost to pay to upgrade to that room. They ended up moving us into a nicer room than the one we booked because our booked room wasn’t ready.

I dont consider “upgrades” to HHonors floors a true upgrade. Being higher up with a special logo on the door provides no tangible benefit. The rooms are no different than lower-floor rooms.

Despite the T&C’s of the program, I’ve come to never expect an upgrade anywhere because they are so few and far between.

Face it, HHonors is a transactional reward program. You spend, you earn. Other additional benefits/perks are rare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.