Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Old Jan 26, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection hotel property.

Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.

Moderator notes (do not delete)

Posts older than 2013 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator
Print Wikipost

Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel {ITA}

Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just finished a 4 night stay at Waldorf Rome yesterday and can confirm the breakfast is extremely good both in terms of choice, food quality and ambiance.
You can sit inside or outside by the pool and tables are covered with parasols.
Fresh fruit including Pineapple and Strawberries.
Superb fresh mini pastries and cakes.
Smoked Salmon, Granola, gluten free items and lovely bread.
Tea and Coffee served in very nice silver pots.
Service a bit hit and miss, no spoons on tables, no salt and pepper, asked waiter for some and they never came.
One grumpy waitress was quite rude and abrupt.
Also some miscommunication problems with restaurant and front desk as two mornings we were told that breakfast was not included.
Overall a very nice breakfast and highly recommended.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PaulH1
Just finished a 4 night stay at Waldorf Rome yesterday and can confirm the breakfast is extremely good both in terms of choice, food quality and ambiance.
You can sit inside or outside by the pool and tables are covered with parasols.
Fresh fruit including Pineapple and Strawberries.
Superb fresh mini pastries and cakes.
Smoked Salmon, Granola, gluten free items and lovely bread.
Tea and Coffee served in very nice silver pots.
Service a bit hit and miss, no spoons on tables, no salt and pepper, asked waiter for some and they never came.
One grumpy waitress was quite rude and abrupt.
Also some miscommunication problems with restaurant and front desk as two mornings we were told that breakfast was not included.
Overall a very nice breakfast and highly recommended.
Did you book a breakfast inclusive rate or were you given free breakfast due to status?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Virgin Gold, Hyatt Platinum
We had some mixups when we stayed here last year for our wedding anniversary
We was offered comp buffet breakfast as a one off goodwill gesture although that was not straightforward
The first 2 mornings we was told breakfast was not included and we would be charged
Breakfast is an eye watering €36 each but Gold and Diamond members get breakfast for €20 each
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:32 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Reid
Did you book a breakfast inclusive rate or were you given free breakfast due to status?
You have to book breakfast with the room. I have DIamond status, and they offered us breakfast at 20 euros a person, instead of 40. Departing from the other comments above, we found that the breakfast items, while pretty, were neither good quality nor particularly tasty. So, for the price, we decided after the 2nd day to walk down the street to a nearby bakery, which had excellent pastries and coffee for a lot less money.

Getting to tourist spots was not a big problem. The shuttle runs hourly from 9 am to noon, and then again from about 2 pm to 9 pm. It gets you a few blocks away from the Spanish Steps, and most of the other major tourist attractions and shopping are walkable from there. If you stay in town after 9 pm, a taxi back costs roughly 20 euros, plus tip.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hoc
You have to book breakfast with the room. I have DIamond status, and they offered us breakfast at 20 euros a person, instead of 40. Departing from the other comments above, we found that the breakfast items, while pretty, were neither good quality nor particularly tasty. So, for the price, we decided after the 2nd day to walk down the street to a nearby bakery, which had excellent pastries and coffee for a lot less money.

Getting to tourist spots was not a big problem. The shuttle runs hourly from 9 am to noon, and then again from about 2 pm to 9 pm. It gets you a few blocks away from the Spanish Steps, and most of the other major tourist attractions and shopping are walkable from there. If you stay in town after 9 pm, a taxi back costs roughly 20 euros, plus tip.
Pro Tip: Download the IT Taxi app and it makes ordering and paying for a taxi a breeze!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
Hi All,

As I will be dropping my car off in Rome, do your know where is the nearest car rental to Rome Cavalieri. It can be a Hertz, or Avis, or Europcar.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed here for the first time over the weekend. I got a sale fare of €250 and for that I must conclude that it's great value and a place with all the trappings of a luxury hotel - worthwhile for someone not used to paying more to get into that sort of venue.

Deep value sale fare aside, I was pretty disappointed. This struck me as an example of the "Grand old Hotel" which will struggle to stay alive in the next 10-20 years as younger generations are split between those who can't afford luxury breaks and those who do and expect high levels of service for their money.

Some thoughts:
- The interiors and rooms were crazily grand and kitsch, rather like being in Dubai. Amazingly, I think it worked, though it is a shame some people will visit Rome and think this is a non-ironic local style
- The hotel opened up the pool to non-hotel guests. This means that as a guest unless you arrive early you can't get a seat by the pool (there's a separate garden out back) and you have to pay for a chair. Once there, you get sub-hotel levels of service - staff are separated between lifeguards (admin) and waiters (service) and they refuse to communicate with each other. If you're in the garden you often have to go to the bar yourself to get any service, and they're quite inflexible on basic things - e.g. if you want a table to eat you have to wait there while your meal is made rather than arrive when it is ready (30min+)
- The 3* La Pergola was closed for summer when I was there, so I ate in the other restaurant. The food was nice, though my cod hadn't been properly de-boned (which really hurt). When I let the staff know they literally couldn't care less and presumably didn't tell the chef who walked by 5min later without saying hello
- The reception, concierge, doormen are all a bit under-resourced and so there were often long queues, uncertainty about who was in what place in the line, upset guests, etc.
- I stupidly left some valuable cufflinks in the bathroom and having only just noticed a day later, the hotel obviously hasn't found them and let me know. When I called in they were unable to even take the details and pass a message through to housekeeping as I had to find a link on the website to Hhonors corporate who will then pass it to the hotel staff who will then pass it to housekeeping. So I expect very little chance of getting them back just due to bureaucracy, which is a shame

I expect this hotel has 5-10 years of pensioners on cruises and Hhonors members spending points, but it doesn't strike me that it has developed a model which will justify the required room prices going forward given the competition in the city.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I stayed here for the first time over the weekend. I got a sale fare of €250 and for that I must conclude that it's great value and a place with all the trappings of a luxury hotel - worthwhile for someone not used to paying more to get into that sort of venue.

Deep value sale fare aside, I was pretty disappointed. This struck me as an example of the "Grand old Hotel" which will struggle to stay alive in the next 10-20 years as younger generations are split between those who can't afford luxury breaks and those who do and expect high levels of service for their money.

Some thoughts:
- The interiors and rooms were crazily grand and kitsch, rather like being in Dubai. Amazingly, I think it worked, though it is a shame some people will visit Rome and think this is a non-ironic local style
- The hotel opened up the pool to non-hotel guests. This means that as a guest unless you arrive early you can't get a seat by the pool (there's a separate garden out back) and you have to pay for a chair. Once there, you get sub-hotel levels of service - staff are separated between lifeguards (admin) and waiters (service) and they refuse to communicate with each other. If you're in the garden you often have to go to the bar yourself to get any service, and they're quite inflexible on basic things - e.g. if you want a table to eat you have to wait there while your meal is made rather than arrive when it is ready (30min+)
- The 3* La Pergola was closed for summer when I was there, so I ate in the other restaurant. The food was nice, though my cod hadn't been properly de-boned (which really hurt). When I let the staff know they literally couldn't care less and presumably didn't tell the chef who walked by 5min later without saying hello
- The reception, concierge, doormen are all a bit under-resourced and so there were often long queues, uncertainty about who was in what place in the line, upset guests, etc.
- I stupidly left some valuable cufflinks in the bathroom and having only just noticed a day later, the hotel obviously hasn't found them and let me know. When I called in they were unable to even take the details and pass a message through to housekeeping as I had to find a link on the website to Hhonors corporate who will then pass it to the hotel staff who will then pass it to housekeeping. So I expect very little chance of getting them back just due to bureaucracy, which is a shame

I expect this hotel has 5-10 years of pensioners on cruises and Hhonors members spending points, but it doesn't strike me that it has developed a model which will justify the required room prices going forward given the competition in the city.
I do not agree with what you say. Stayed there some years ago (paid stay) and will stay again here for 2 nights in October. It is not Grand and Kitsch, it is Italian / Roman style combined with a Rome Cavalieri personal touch. In Italy you will not find a pure luxury style like in Paris, there will always be other influences (see also Leading Hotels like Majestic or Boscolo´s Exedra and many other luxury hotels). Even my wife who is very on the high French style side (Plaza Athenee, Ritz etc., and also Trianon Palace) likes the Cavalieri room interiour and the hotel and its garden and terasses as a remarkable relaxing oasis / resort for families and couples, out of the city but close enough to "jump in" whenever you want to. The art collection in the lobby with Tintoretto etc. and its way of presenting maybe is not everyones () taste but I like it and I am sure my father-in-law whom I take with us in 2 months will like it, too. Looking Forward very much to be here again, it was always my wish to come again.

After this stay we will stay at Majestic Via Veneto and maybe the Indigo near Vatican City.

So let Rome Cavalieri have its own character. If you don´t like it at all it is your problem.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by submonte
I do not agree with what you say. Stayed there some years ago (paid stay) and will stay again here for 2 nights in October. It is not Grand and Kitsch, it is Italian / Roman style combined with a Rome Cavalieri personal touch. In Italy you will not find a pure luxury style like in Paris, there will always be other influences (see also Leading Hotels like Majestic or Boscolo´s Exedra and many other luxury hotels). Even my wife who is very on the high French style side (Plaza Athenee, Ritz etc., and also Trianon Palace) likes the Cavalieri room interiour and the hotel and its garden and terasses as a remarkable relaxing oasis / resort for families and couples, out of the city but close enough to "jump in" whenever you want to. The art collection in the lobby with Tintoretto etc. and its way of presenting maybe is not everyones () taste but I like it and I am sure my father-in-law whom I take with us in 2 months will like it, too. Looking Forward very much to be here again, it was always my wish to come again.

After this stay we will stay at Majestic Via Veneto and maybe the Indigo near Vatican City.

So let Rome Cavalieri have its own character. If you don´t like it at all it is your problem.
Please provide a full list of hotels that, when someone finds not to their liking, you will go hostile over.

The review you quoted is this persons opinion which is not a problem for anyone except...the obvious. And it is one shared by others. And opening the pool to non guests isn't luxury of any nationality.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by dingo
Please provide a full list of hotels that, when someone finds not to their liking, you will go hostile over.

The review you quoted is this persons opinion which is not a problem for anyone except...the obvious. And it is one shared by others. And opening the pool to non guests isn't luxury of any nationality.
Yes of course we do have freedom of speech here. But as this is the Hilton HHonors Forum I would expect some respect by VIPs from other loyalty programs. I never go to the SPG or Marriott Rewards Forum and start criticising Marriott or Starwood hotels I stayed at in such a way below the belt, you can follow up my posts here as a proof. I express my sincere compliments if I have liked the stay, and that happens often. I take (would have) the right to criticise Hilton hotels that way as I am one of their most loyal guests since many years and have done it as you can follow up also.

I will review my coming stay here and also check the other complaints of EuropeanPete and report in all objectivity.

Last edited by submonte; Sep 2, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Old Sep 2, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Yes of course we do have freedom of speech here. But as this is the Hilton HHonors Forum I would expect some respect by VIPs from other loyalty programs. I never go to the SPG or Marriott Rewards Forum and start criticising Marriott or Starwood hotels I stayed at in such a way below the belt, you can follow up my posts here as a proof. I express my sincere compliments if I have liked the stay, and that happens often. I take (would have) the right to criticise Hilton hotels that way as I am one of their most loyal guests since many years and have done it as you can follow up also.

I will review my coming stay here and also check the other complaints of EuropeanPete and report in all objectivity.

How many stays does one need Hilton chain wide before one can criticize a specific hotel? Can one have the ability to praise but not criticize? Or are they earned in tandem? Is the ability to criticize stay based or time / number of years of loyalty based? At what point does an opinion of a hotel, an inanimate object, become a low blow?

The rules as to who can express an opinion in the Hilton forum are so confusing! (I must confess that I've not read the forum wiki so I apologize if this is all covered there).
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by dingo
How many stays does one need Hilton chain wide before one can criticize a specific hotel? Can one have the ability to praise but not criticize? Or are they earned in tandem? Is the ability to criticize stay based or time / number of years of loyalty based? At what point does an opinion of a hotel, an inanimate object, become a low blow?

The rules as to who can express an opinion in the Hilton forum are so confusing! (I must confess that I've not read the forum wiki so I apologize if this is all covered there).
You may criticize a Hilton hotel after your first stay. The good will counts and the way you say it. Everyone will be thankful, company, hotel, HH members, Flyertalkers. I remember you recently said you became Diamond? Looking forward to read your constructive reviews.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:56 am

You may criticize a Hilton hotel after your first stay. The good will counts and the way you say it. Everyone will be thankful, company, hotel, HH members, Flyertalkers. I remember you recently said you became Diamond? Looking forward to read your constructive reviews.
I will flag the constructive reviews as such so as to not confuse them with the ones that you deem not to be.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 6:36 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I've stayed at this property 3 times in the past, the last time was just before the lounge access change - when was that?
Anyway, I really liked it, the location isn't an issue for us, I like the local area for a walk and some different places to eat and getting to town isn't an issue.
I'm taking another trip to Rome at the end of the year and this was going to be go to place to stay. Unfortunately, after reading about the changes, I'm not staying here again.
A 17 year Diamond doesn't get lounge access or free breakfast? Apparently any real chance of a decent upgrade is also not going to happen despite a low load when I'm staying in the winter. It might be shallow and cheap but I would expect that loyalty to a brand would get more. Guess I'm going to move on though I would rather not.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:14 am

You are a Diamond for 17 years; you may express disappointment with this property I believe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.