Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

Old Jan 21, 2002, 5:20 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Just my two lira (euro cents) worth. We stayed at this property ten months ago prior to a flight. We drove up, parked immediately in front (for free), got a good room and amenities including full buffet breakfast. My wife was concerned because she though that we were only entitled to a continental breakfast ala USA Hilton Garden Inn. Not true. This is a very good and convenient, if one is flying or driving location.

It is NOT, NOT a good place to stay for seven days in Rome. Downtown Rome is at least an hour away (one way) by train and bus. There is nothing in the immediate vicinity for shopping, sightseeing, dinner, lunch other than the airport. There is a good resturant about 5 miles away in the adjacent town. The concierge can provide directions, but you will need a car to reach it. I suggest that you reconsider your 7 day plan and spend six of the seven in Rome proper. Rome is one of the best places to see History in the raw. Much better than Athens, Istanbul and most of Greece.

Just my HO.

A negative hotel recommendation.

Hotel DellaOpera near the Termini Train Station. In fact, I would not recommend anything in that location. I also would not recommend using Hoteldiscounts.com for Rome bookings which we did for this over-priced, dingy property.

[This message has been edited by opushomes (edited 01-21-2002).]
Old Jan 23, 2002, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I would not recommend the Hilton in town either since it is remote from all the attractions. Great view. Period. Public transit is very unwieldy from there and the cabs are a fortune. They have a shuttle but not on Sunday. If you stay anywhere in town, keep in mind all the public transit pretty much shuts down at 11 PM. Strange for a city that dines at 9. Or so...
Old Jan 23, 2002, 2:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flightrisk:
Hmm. Aside from Florence, these all seem to me to be better day trips from Florence, not Rome. I can't imagine day tripping Florence from Rome, there is way too much to see there.

Better day trips from Rome would be Tivoli, Frascati and the other Castelli Romani, Ostia Antica, Civita di Bagnoregio. If you push it, you could also include some Umbrian hill towns, Orvieto being the closest.
</font>
Depends on how fast you drive...

Seriously, flightrisk offers some great suggestions for day-trips closer to Rome. Although there are a zillion things to see and do in Rome, getting out in the countryside is the best way to experience Italy.

I guess I'm just very fond of the countryside in Tuscany.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 6:20 am

Programs: SW Gold, Marriott Silver, UA Prem Exec, AA Platinum
Any Last Minute advice for Hilton Rome Airport?

I have some questions...
Does the hotel provide a converter? 110/220?
Is there anything I should know about getting to and from the city? I read there is a shuttle... how reliable is that? Should I just cab it.
Any advice is helpful for my first trip to Europe. Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2002, 7:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, Delta silver, Marriott Ambassador Hilton gold
Sorry that I have no answers for you, I am doing a weekend trip the week after you. I would be interested in your trip report when you get back. I will be staying at the st. regis sat/sun and the hilton on mon. so anything you can pass on to me about the shuttle/cab situation would be great.

Have a fantastic time! and wear comfortable shoes since Rome is a great walking city--the last time I was there I several miles a day.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 7:47 am

Programs: Starriot Platinum, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed there last March and I don't remember if for sure if the shaver socket was a dual 110/220 socket or not. I had my own converter with me, so I didn't need one from the hotel. The hotel and the airport train station are both walking distance via covered elevated walkway from the airport terminal, and I would suggest just using the train to get into the city. A quick search should reveal many other hints regarding usage of the train versus taxi's, etc..
Old Feb 13, 2002, 8:51 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I had to borrow a converter from the hotel..... no problem. This was last year about this time.

The warning for Rome is always to watch out for the pick pockets. The local police and hotel staff refer to the Gypsies as the problem. Notorious is the area around Termini Rail Station. A friend of mine lost his computer in the area from a snatch and run. They love to pick on business people with luggage and a computer case.

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Feb 13, 2002, 10:20 am

Agree with rtpflyer on the train into town. IIRC, its about 9 Euros each way and takes 30 minutes. You can take the metro or buses or taxis from Termini to get anywhere you want to go downtown.

Avoid the taxis at FCO if at all possible as the airport seems to attract the dishonest cab drivers in town. If you avoid the "bandit" taxis (unlicensed and charging $75-100 each way) the licensed cabs will claim their meters aren't working or invent a host of phony surcharges to inflate the fare. Honest taxi fare to downtown is 35-40 Euros.

Check your electrical items - many things like computers don't need voltage adapters any more. If the "Input" specs on the UL sticker says 100-240V, all you need is a plug adapter (also available from the hotel). BTW, plugs in Italy are different from those in the rest of Europe.

Enjoy the food - it's very hard to have a bad meal in Italy. Have lunch on a nice day in the Piazza Navona and admire Bernini's fountains. Have dinner at one of the restaurants on the via Veneto and people-watch. Remember that unless the menu or bill speicifies that service is not included, it is not necessary to leave any tip other than spare change. Some of the fancier restaurants have started adding a service charge onto their bills.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 13, 2002, 3:02 pm

Programs: SW Gold, Marriott Silver, UA Prem Exec, AA Platinum
Grazie for the pointers.
Ciao!

And now the wait to see if I get to use my SWU on US....
Old Feb 14, 2002, 10:42 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Hotel is short, covered walk to terminal. Agree that train into Rome is the best way. Note: it is not necessary to go to Termini. There are other stations served from FCO and you can catch a bus, tram or, sometimes, metro from these other stations. Depends on where you want to go in Central Rome. Termini is not the neatest of neighborhoods. Reminds me in some ways of the Plaka in Athens, or the area near the bazaar in Istanbul, or Brooklyn. Just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.

Hilton Rome Airport had a great buffet and welcome amenities when we stayed overnight prior to a flight. If you renting a car and are driving to another city, it has free (yes, free!) parking in front of the hotel between the hotel and the terminal. Autostrada access is easy eliminating the need to drive in Rome proper. There is little traffic near the airport so driving is easy.

Driving in Italian cities is an incomparable experience. Scariest one was Bolzano where five lanes of traffic on a two lane road approached us at high speed. second scarriest was Florence being stuck on a circle for 20 minutes in order to reach our hotel. Third was driving from Termini station out of Rome.

Yes, I have driven in Istanbul, Paris, London, Athens, Boston, Manhatten, and New Jersey. Italy is the scariest, but only on city streets.

Enjoy your Rome Airport, Hilton stay. Suggest you stay only one or two nights because it is a significant trip into central Rome.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 12:56 pm

just be aware that the FCO train shuts down around 2300-- meaning you're looking at paying for a cab back if you stay out reasonably late.

will have to say they've DRAMATICALLY cleaned-up the Termini area from when i was first there in '95. biggest inconvenience was that you can't use the lockers post 9-11, and have to wait in line to have your bags inspected and hand-checked.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 1:28 pm

there is a free hotel shuttle back and forth. The hilton coach will drop you near Marcellus theatre, a stone's throw from piazza venezia, right downtown. Moreover, after seeing the suburbs of rome in details , you'll have the chance to see the herculean therms of caracalla on the right side.

the executive lounge is nothing special and for breakfast, forget about the lounge and go instead to the main buffet on the ground floor and.
Old Feb 17, 2002, 9:08 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
http://www.adr.it/en/fiumic/fiumic-treni.html

http://goitaly.about.com/c/ht/00/07/...0962934848.htm

Also, you can buy a Rome bus/subway day ticket for e3.10.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:29 pm

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
Rome Airport Hilton

Stayed there twice in two weeks within the last 15 days and think it is a fantastic hotel.

From the 5th floor personal service (Caterina is her name) for Gold & above, to the quite decent rooms for an airport hotel to the Sunday night rockin' Italian buffet (albeit for 35 euros), we enjoyed our day single night stays.

I suppose most travelin' folk use this hotel due to its proximity to the airport (long long long moving sidewalks and you're there) but it is completely worth it.

We used it since we arrived into Rome late night and flew out early in the a.m.

My highest recommendation for a Hilton airport property.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 8:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nhila:
Stayed there twice in two weeks within the last 15 days and think it is a fantastic hotel.

From the 5th floor personal service (Caterina is her name) for Gold & above, to the quite decent rooms for an airport hotel to the Sunday night rockin' Italian buffet (albeit for 35 euros), we enjoyed our day single night stays.

I suppose most travelin' folk use this hotel due to its proximity to the airport (long long long moving sidewalks and you're there) but it is completely worth it.

We used it since we arrived into Rome late night and flew out early in the a.m.

My highest recommendation for a Hilton airport property.
</font>
Thank you for this post. I'll be staying here on Feb 15, 2003. I'm just hoping that that date is included when the point stretcher dates are announced on ????.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.