Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by RogerD408
The purchase doesn't need to post in time, the transaction date just needs to be in time. If your points do not come back shortly after the purchase does post then a call to HH should get them reinstated.
Ah, thanks for the info. Too much of an effort though. I'll just buy the points, that way I can just be done with it.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:16 pm

Called

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Hang Up and Call Again.
Regarding loosing all my points,

I did call again and got a very nice person on the phone , who could not help me. But she offered to transfer me to the department that could. The next person was also very nice. Told me she couldn't get them back. These system wouldn't let her. Offered me 10,000 of my 18800+ points back as a courtesy. I Asked could she give me 15000. She stated she would have to check with a supervisor to get that done. I held, came back with all my points ! I know its not much, but between points and cash and a discounted price I get 2 nights for a reasonable price. I told her thank you and to be sure to thank the supervisor .

Babs

Last edited by babsjvd; Aug 8, 2015 at 5:18 pm Reason: Clarify
Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:22 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by babsjvd
Regarding loosing all my points,

I did call again and got a very nice person on the phone , who could not help me. But she offered to transfer me to the department that could. The next person was also very nice. Told me she couldn't get them back. These system wouldn't let her. Offered me 10,000 of my 18800+ points back as a courtesy. I Asked could she give me 15000. She stated she would have to check with a supervisor to get that done. I held, came back with all my points ! I know its not much, but between points and cash and a discounted price I get 2 nights for a reasonable price. I told her thank you and to be sure to thank the supervisor .

Babs
That is excellent news.

Congratulations!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 3:21 pm

How long does it take for hhonors shopping portal points to transfer into the
hhonors account ?

My points expire 9/27 and i have some "pending" points earned
in the shopping portal on 8/12. Is it enough time to post ?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lanb
How long does it take for hhonors shopping portal points to transfer into the
hhonors account ?

My points expire 9/27 and i have some "pending" points earned
in the shopping portal on 8/12. Is it enough time to post ?
The transaction date is what will count and not the posting date. Every system has a different process and therefore can vary greatly. Should your points go away before the transaction posts, just call HH and ask for your points back.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The transaction date is what will count and not the posting date. Every system has a different process and therefore can vary greatly. Should your points go away before the transaction posts, just call HH and ask for your points back.
Thanks. 8/12 is my transaction date (and the date shown in the shopping portal). Fingers crossed.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:47 am

I received and email stating that my account would be closed due to inactivity.

While I really havent stayed at a Hilton in the last year, I have a Citibank Hhonors card and earn points each month. (Enough to earn Diamond status.)

When I called the Diamond line and asked them why my account shows as inactive, the CSR said that spend on the card does not count and I need to stay at a Hilton (or buy something at the Hilton online mall) to keep my account active.

That's strange for me, since I was sure that points earned from card spend counts. And the T&Cs seem to support that understanding. Nevertheless got the email and the CSR told me it doesn't work this way.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lewinr
I received and email stating that my account would be closed due to inactivity.

While I really havent stayed at a Hilton in the last year, I have a Citibank Hhonors card and earn points each month. (Enough to earn Diamond status.)

When I called the Diamond line and asked them why my account shows as inactive, the CSR said that spend on the card does not count and I need to stay at a Hilton (or buy something at the Hilton online mall) to keep my account active.

That's strange for me, since I was sure that points earned from card spend counts. And the T&Cs seem to support that understanding. Nevertheless got the email and the CSR told me it doesn't work this way.

Any ideas?

Thanks...
Call back and if the agent says the same thing about CC spend, ask them to read their T&Cs item 13b that states points earned count as activity.

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html#general

Another example of a CSR making up rules instead of looking them up.

BTW, this is also listed in the WiKi attached to this thread.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:05 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I changed my password and got my points credited after contacting the service center. Thye're credited as a 'service center adjustment'.

Will these points count as activity in the account and keep my points from expiring?

PS I wanted to post this in the thread about the bonus points for changing the password but could not find this thread...
Sorry to bump this. I'm curious to know if this transaction will postpone the expiry date of my miles. Does any transaction postpone expiration for hilton or only stays?

Sorry for the double post, posted in the wrong thread first. I'm curious to know if this transaction will postpone the expiry date of my miles. Does service center adjustments also postpone expiration for hilton or only stays? (It's not really a third party source)

This page states it a bit broader as the wiki and T&C so I suppose I'm fine:
Hilton HHonors points do not expire as long as members remain active in the program. To keep an account active, members can stay at one of Hilton Worldwide's hotels, or earn or redeem HHonors points within 12 months.1

Last edited by Canarsie; Sep 14, 2015 at 7:47 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Sorry to bump this. I'm curious to know if this transaction will postpone the expiry date of my miles. Does any transaction postpone expiration for hilton or only stays?

This page states so I suppose I'm fine:
You should be fine. Any points activity (except book and cancel) would trigger another 12 months of validity.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by lanb
Thanks. 8/12 is my transaction date (and the date shown in the shopping portal). Fingers crossed.
To update on this - My 8/14 fandango purchase via the HH online portal posted the points into my HH account on 9/16. A couple of other purchases (newegg and lowes) are still pending points in the HH mall.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 5:29 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Does getting 500 points for listening to the timeshare marketing spiel or whatever it was count towards keeping points alive? Not sure if this would count as "third-party" earning, but then again it depends on the IT implementation of expiry.

I assume e-rewards transfers are included within condition 13b?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Does getting 500 points for listening to the timeshare marketing spiel or whatever it was count towards keeping points alive? Not sure if this would count as "third-party" earning, but then again it depends on the IT implementation of expiry.

I assume e-rewards transfers are included within condition 13b?
As far as I know, most activities that changes the balance (+/-) of your account is considered valid.

The only one I heard is not considered is in a situation where you redeem an award stay and then cancel it, triggering a re-deposit of points to your account. In that situation, neither the original redemption nor the subsequent re-deposit are considered valid account activities.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
I contacted HHonors on twitter recently (the points from my hhonors dining account haven't been posting) and got the most hilarious DM from them: I explained that I was hoping my points would post soon so that they wouldn't expire, after which they send me this about how to keep points alive:

Hi Anna, To keep accumulated HHonors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors Points through any third party source of HHonors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors Points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.

I had to reply and point out that yes, I"m pretty sure both the dining and shopping portal count as a "third party source." They haven't replied to me since, but I checked my account today and there was a 'service center adjustment' in the amount I'd earned via hhonors dining. Sounds like they wanted to convince me to stay at a hilton sometime soon by being misleading. In the past though the Hhonors dining program is always how I kept my points alive.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 5:29 pm

How to prevent HHonors points from expiring?

Okay, I need advice from the Hilton experts. Both my wife and I opened the Citi HH card 8/2014 closed 8/2015, last activity 3/2015. 62K points each which will expire 12 months after last activity or 3/2016.

I have no upcoming Hilton stays planned or needed. I was intending to sign us both up for the Amex HH with 2 weekend free nights around 6/2016 anticipating using the nights 6/2017.

So how do I keep our points active. Could I book a category 1 hotel, 5000 points and then not show up to reset the clock on these points? Any other ideas?

In hindsight signing up for this card is a good example of not having a plan for the points and just signing up for a card because I could. Bad plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.