Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
My points are expiring in a few months. Can I make a booking with points for after the expiration date to renew the expiration? Or does the stay have to happen before the point expiration date to reset the activity?
The stay has to be BEFORE the expiration date.

Making an award booking does NOT qualify as activity to keep your account alive. You MUST HAVE points-generating activity or donate points to a charity or an actual stay.

You can get the free Amex card and make a single purchase on it every year to maintain your account.

This is the exact T&C:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. At the discretion of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity.. To keep accumulated HHonors points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

a. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b. earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c. purchase HHonors points; or,
d. donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 5:19 am

Programs: OnePass
Talking

The best way I've found to keep my account active when I'm not traveling much (like this year) is to setup a TopGuest.com account and simply "Check in" to a property using either FourSquare or Facebook to get 50 points. Here in NYC, I can drop by a property every month or so, buy a cup of coffee at their restaurant or Cafe, check in, and keep my account active guilt-free.

TopGuest is affiliated with other programs, too, so check into that!

Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
My points are expiring in a few months. Can I make a booking with points for after the expiration date to renew the expiration? Or does the stay have to happen before the point expiration date to reset the activity?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:54 pm

Data point:

I needed to transfer 1K points to keep my account active. I was able to transfer MR points from my husband's account into my HH account.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:17 am

HHonors points expiry

Hi,
Quick question, I have about 50k points on my HHonors account, I haven't used it in about 8 months, will I lost them after a certain amount of time, like you do with airline points?

How do I stop from losing them, make a transaction on my account?

Cheers,
pete
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:25 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 12 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. At the discretion of Hilton HHonors Worldwide, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity.. To keep accumulated HHonors points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 12 consecutive month period:

a) stay at a hotel within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
b) earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
c) purchase HHonors points; or,
d) donate points through The Hilton HHonors Giving Back Program.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Recently Four Square had a 50 point check-in promo for Hamptons and Doubletrees. If that's still going on, you might score a few points by pulling into the property and checking in (rules said you must physically be at the property to be eligible for points).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:55 am

Thankyou. What about if I transfer some airmile accross from Virgin so they are converted to HHonors points?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by CoopsJC21
Thankyou. What about if I transfer some airmile accross from Virgin so they are converted to HHonors points?
I guess this would meet the conditions of point b) from cordelli´s post, but others may know better.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:59 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Any activity in the account will extend it.

Probably the easiest is their dining program, sign up, go to a participating place and buy a meal (or just dessert or whatever) charge it and you get activity.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by CoopsJC21
NOt sure but I believe the minimum donation is either 500 0r 100 points so that would be the easiest and the quickest
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: HHonors (Diamond), Marriott (Gold), United (Gold - MM), American (Platinum), National (Executive)
Originally Posted by Hokies82
NOt sure but I believe the minimum donation is either 500 0r 100 points so that would be the easiest and the quickest
My bad. The minimum donation is 10,000 for a $25US tax deductable donation to 1 of 20 or so charities.

That said said you can purchase 1000 points for $10 and that will extend the window
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Hokies82
My bad. The minimum donation is 10,000 for a $25US tax deductable donation to 1 of 20 or so charities.

That said said you can purchase 1000 points for $10 and that will extend the window
$12.50, I just checked. But yes I might just do this, thankyou for the idea.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:26 pm

After an email to HHonors regarding keeping accounts active this is the reply I received, very helpful I thought. Thankyou Amanda of HHonors.

=================================
Dear Mr. Cooper,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding a points expiration. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

Please be advised, points resulting from a Reward Exchange will not keep an account active.

As long as you keep your account active by recording at least one eligible point earning activity every 12 months, your HHonors points will not expire. However, should you go more than 12 months without recording any eligible activity, your account will be deactivated and your accumulated point balance will be forfeited.

I can offer you a one time account extension in order to keep your account active for 12 months. Let us know if we can add the extension to your account as an exception.

To assist you in preventing your account from being deactivated, here are some other easy ways to keep your account active:

> Simply complete an eligible stay at any one of our more than 3,000 Hilton Worldwide hotels at least once every 12 months.

> Earn HHonors points with our partners by renting a car, sending flowers, or shopping at a variety of premier retailers.

> Enroll in a Hilton HHonors sponsored credit card and make purchases to accumulate HHonors points.

> Purchase points online to keep your account open. HHonors point purchases must be made in increments of 1,000 points and every 1,000 points costs US$12.50 ($.0125 per point). Purchase a minimum of 10,000 HHonors points at one time and the cost is reduced to only $.01 per point!

> OWN WITH HILTON GRAND VACATIONS CLUB- Hilton Grand Vacations Club Members enjoy a lifetime of unsurpassed vacations and Silver VIP HHonors membership! Call 1-877-246-2832 today.

For more details including participating retailers and partners, please visit us on-line at www.hiltonhhonors.com.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact us. For immediate assistance, please click on the link below for the contact number of the Hilton Worldwide Service Center location nearest you.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
So transferring from non Hilton AMEX, i.e. AMEX MR to HH does not keep the account active? Also transferring from virgin atlantic miles to HH does not keep it active?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
Hilton Shopping Mall

http://www.shoptoearn.hhonors.com/hh...=1345808360193

bookbyte.com (3HH/$) or bookcloseouts.com (7HH/$) have some very cheap books - I used bookbyte a couple months ago, points posted about 6 weeks later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.