Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 7, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by dmfriedman
Any estimate on how long it takes for these points to post? Just realized that my last stay was July 12, and I'd hate for my account to be wiped out in 5 days because of a lack of activity...
When you want to be sure, buy 1000 points through their website.

The points should post retroactively on the right date, but sometimes pointposting went wrong, and you don't want to loose your points because of that.
Old Jul 8, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by Brobbel
When you want to be sure, buy 1000 points through their website.

The points should post retroactively on the right date, but sometimes pointposting went wrong, and you don't want to loose your points because of that.
Thank you Flyertalk and all the folks that contribute! I didn't realize that my points could expire and I canceled my CC a year ago and no stays since. For $12.50 I am good to go for another 12 months!
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Half the points reinstated, balance to be reinstated after 4 stays

My points (approx 400,000) apparently expired in May 2009. I recall talking to the HHonors office in Singapore who had told me they will keep the accounts and points active for one year, but found out today when I called the US HHonors number that there is no notation on file from Singapore, and they stole all my points in May 2009! The supervisor reinstated half the points, and agreed to reinstate the balance after four more stays within 12 months. I spoke with Bryan Simmons at Corporate who looks after these things, and he said if you get me the name of the person you spoke with in Singapore, we may be able to do something. He did say that they were quite generous in the offer they gave me.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA CO
I have the Hilton Amex card, and was relying on that to keep my Hilton account active. Hilton just sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that if I don't have activity by October, they are going to cancel my account. Amex claims that they have been transferring the points to Hilton, but they have been rejected. I opened an investigation with Amex, and hopefully it will resolve the matter. Will look back through this forum and try to find something will award me a few points to keep things active in case the Amex inquiry takes too long. Thanks to Hilton for alerting me, as I just wasn't verifying each month that Amex was properly transferring my points.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA CO
Originally Posted by forextrader
Use the Hilton shopping mall https://www.hiltonhhonorsearningsmall.com/ and buy a dining certificate from Restaurant.com. Use code PRESENT for 80% discount.

So get a $25 off certificate from a restaurant in your area for $2 - you will earn 18 HH points and that will keep your points from expiring.
I got a $10 certificate for 80 cents somehow, using the new discount promo code NAPKIN. Hopefully the points will post quickly.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: AP, AS, BAEC, HH, SPG, FPC, PC
Transfer Amex MR to HH - does this work?

I know it's not the best use of my MR but I can afford 1,000 MR (for 900 HH points). Will this keep my account alive?
Old Jul 31, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
That should work as long as the points post before you have twelve months of inactivity.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 2:04 am

How do I find out when was my last activity?

I always thought the points don't expire.

The last time points were added to the account was in mid Oct. 2008. So soon it is a year... grrr.

Should I get worried?

If I have the AMEX HH card am I protected from this even if I don't use it?

Thanks for the help!

Update: I took care of it through erewards. The Points should be there within 72 hours.

Last edited by cutnana; Oct 4, 2009 at 7:44 am Reason: Updated
Old Oct 10, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
I received an email from HH say that my points will expire if there is no activity by 1 Dec 09. I've made two separate purchases via the Hilton Mall, from Sephora and drugstore.com. Does anyone have any idea how long it might take for the HH points to post?
Old Oct 11, 2009, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by vSFU
I received an email from HH say that my points will expire if there is no activity by 1 Dec 09. I've made two separate purchases via the Hilton Mall, from Sephora and drugstore.com. Does anyone have any idea how long it might take for the HH points to post?
I called CS yesterday & posed the same basic question. The rep. said "4 to 6 weeks", so you should be OK. He said dining points could also take that long. He also said that if my points didn't post before my acct. expired I could call & ask them to reinstate me because I had pts. pending. Cool.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by philemer
I called CS yesterday & posed the same basic question. The rep. said "4 to 6 weeks", so you should be OK. He said dining points could also take that long. He also said that if my points didn't post before my acct. expired I could call & ask them to reinstate me because I had pts. pending. Cool.
I have points from a Sept 20 Car rental pending. Faxed in all the information in mid-Oct and also requested point posting from the car rental co. Sofar, nothing posted. My points are to expire 1 Dec. Should I take any further action?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
I have points from a Sept 20 Car rental pending. Faxed in all the information in mid-Oct and also requested point posting from the car rental co. Sofar, nothing posted. My points are to expire 1 Dec. Should I take any further action?
$12.50 = 1000 points and 12 month extension. Your call. I have 75k banked so I don't take any chances.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While Sept rental still not posted, a Sixt rental posted within 4 days! Had not expected that to save me from the 12/1 deadline. Kudos to Sixt!!!

Now I hope the missing rental will not post until 09.2010!
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: thai, virgin, emirates, priority club
hhonors points about to expire

according to an e-mail from hhonors, my points are due to expire at the end of january. other than stay at a hotel or apply for a credit card, is there an easy way for a uk-based member to keep the account active and therefore extend the life of the points? are my 4,400 points actually worth saving?

ian.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: HHonors
Unless you have plans to increase your Hilton stays I'd say the points are not worth keeping. Since you haven't had any Hilton activity in a year there is no reason to put any effort into saving so few points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.