Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Elite Status Matching To Other Hotel Chains From Hilton Honors Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Long time listener, first time caller here.

I'm at HH Diamond level, and am wondering if anyone here has had any experience getting other hotel chains (Starwood, Marriott, etc.) to match that level in their program as an incentive to get you to try their properties and/or elite status benefits? If so, how long was the match good for, and how long did it take to get in place?

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2005, 5:04 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Search function...

You should have known better if you are a long time listener. A search would have give you plenty of answers...specially in the Starwood and Marriott Forums...
Old May 16, 2005, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks Larry...that was helpful

OK, nothing comes up in a search. Anyone here willing to be more helpful than Larry?

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
OK, nothing comes up in a search.
Search again. And in the relevant forums this time.
Old May 16, 2005, 9:20 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Welcome to flyertalk!

I was successful in getting a comp to Starwood Platinum based on my Hhonors Diamond status.

I faxed the following request along with a print out of my previous 12 months activity at HHonors hotels from the HHonors website to SPG customer service. An e-mail saying I was approved to an upgrade to SPG plat was sent to me with in 4 days. If you want the exact fax number, there are previous threads that list the best fax number to use. I'm not sure how many nights you have with HHonors, but I had over 60 nights when I made my request.

Per your second question, I requested my comp last fall, and the gave me status through 02/06; so I have to stay enough this year to re-qualify for status next year .

FWIW, I do stay at SPG locations when ever I can now! The benfits for Platinums are great

RE: SPG Status Match Request

For the past few years I have been staying most often at HHonors or Marriott properties as I travel for business and pleasure, however more than one of my coworkers have mentioned that they prefer SPG properties because of your great service and the excellent benefits to Platinum members. I am currently SPG Gold, but it was suggested to me that I could request to be comped Platinum status based on my Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP status.

I would like to begin staying at your properties more, and if I had Platinum status it would be an easy decision to stay at SPG properties over Hilton. I have included a copy of my current HHonors Diamond card and a print out of my most recent stays from the HHonors website.

Sincerely,

MKEbound
SPG# XXXXXXXXXX
Xxx xxxxx Rd
Xxxxxx, WI XXXXX
414-555-1234
Old May 16, 2005, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks MKEbound!

Really appreciate your info and you taking the time to respond. I'd thought the newbie hazing thing was below the standards of this forum, but apparently there are others here who get some sort of thrill from it.

Thanks again!
Old May 16, 2005, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
For what it's worth, Marriott does not typically comp Plat status. There are anecdotal reports of people being able to do a "challenge" - you'd have to toil at Silver for the duration of the Challenge and then (hopefully) you'd make it to the higher level.

But honestly...if you've got Diamond, what's making you want to change? Of the three big-program top-tiers, HH Diamonds are typically the happiest bunch, followed perhaps by SPG Plat and finally MR Plat. (Nothing wrong with Marriotts - they just don't tend to treat their Plats like royalty.)
Old May 16, 2005, 10:19 am

i have look up the word hazing smmrfld and super larry does not haze here. he only give good advisement.

you say nothing comes up in a search? i look in four minutes using only the single word match and find these.

Status Match from HHonors Plat to Starwood Plat

Status match, Platinum service, etc

Status Match?

Shortcut to Status

p.s. noone gets thrill from newbie hazing but also noone gets a thrill from answering same questions hundreds of times. it is no offense meant.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Marriott has comped Platinum, it is rare, however.
Starwood will easily comp Platinum based on top tier Hilton on Marriott.

I started with Marriott (earned) and got comped both Hilton and Starwood in the same year. I then earned Diamond/Platinum from then on (though I have recently let my SPG membership lapse) along with Marriott Platinum. Too much time in hotels!
Old May 16, 2005, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by smmrfld
OK, nothing comes up in a search. Anyone here willing to be more helpful than Larry?

Thanks.
Maybe you're a little too sensitive, having a bad day ?
Old May 16, 2005, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LHstatus
p.s. noone gets thrill from newbie hazing
Actually, lots of folks here get a kick out of hazing noobs.
Old May 16, 2005, 11:50 am

Here's a link that will answer any questions you ever had about status match between HH and SPG...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175916
Old May 16, 2005, 11:57 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I got comped to SPG Gold without even asking for it.

I stayed at a SPG property back in February, after my stay, I got some e-mail from them asking for feedback.

Well, I gave feedback, and indicated that I am HH Diamond, and that the only reason I stayed with them, was because the wedding was there (My wife would have killed me if I had put us up somewhere else).

About two weeks later I get a Starwood Gold card in the mail (good through the end of NEXT year I believe) + they offered to double my stays value to get me to platinum quicker.

I considered defecting, but then I got the Tripple points offer from Hilton. I expect that to net me an extra 100k points or so, so I stayed with Hilton.

Had Starwood given me Platinum, it would have been a tough choice, as some of the SPG properties are better in places I stay.

Welcome to Flyertalk
Old May 16, 2005, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Hyatt will comp you diamond if you fax in your statement and a copy of your card. No challenge needed.
Old May 16, 2005, 12:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Hyatt will match Hilton status. If you request it it now, it is good thru the end of the year. If you request it later in the year (was July 1, not sure if that has changed) it will be good thru the end of 2006.

Keep in mind that any status match is a once in a lifetime offer, so request it at the point that you are ready to use it. I've done my one match with Hyatt, and am finding it a very good program. I'll wait to do a Starwood match until a year when I anticipate travel where I can really enjoy it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.