Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective Dec. 31 2016, Hilton eliminated AXON awards with no notice.
Print Wikipost

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by diver858
Will be interesting to see; I am not as optimistic: AXON has been limited to standard awards, any such change will expand the program, make AXON redemptions more complicated.
I agree, it will be a selling point for AXON and therefore the AMEX cards, not to have to take seasonality into account. Of course, they will readjust upwards the points necessary to redeem existing CATs 6-7 as well as 8,9,10.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
I agree, it will be a selling point for AXON and therefore the AMEX cards, not to have to take seasonality into account. Of course, they will readjust upwards the points necessary to redeem existing CATs 6-7 as well as 8,9,10.
Highly doubt there will be seasonal fluctuations in the AXON. The CSRs already have a hard enough time booking them at flat rates, I'd hate to see what happens if they have to adjust for season. That's asking for confusion and reservations being messed up.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Highly doubt there will be seasonal fluctuations in the AXON. The CSRs already have a hard enough time booking them at flat rates, I'd hate to see what happens if they have to adjust for season. That's asking for confusion and reservations being messed up.
If this in fact is the case, the AXON option will likely lose much of its value with the "adjusted" levels. I'm sure the new rates will be based on the high season point values, so a Category 7 would probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of 200,000 points for a four-night stay. That's the standard rate at many Category 7's for certain months during the year.

If Hilton wanted to actually make this customer-friendly and reward those Amex cardholders, they would make it a flat discount off a four-night stay. The old 145,000 rate at the old Category 7 was 27.5% off, so how about 25% off the standard rate?

I know, this is asking waaaaay too much...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:29 pm

I am of the belief that the recent devaluation of the top tier hotels is due to the endless churning of the credit cards, for the most part. Make no mistake, Hilton is to blame as Marriott does not let Chase provide an endless supply of bonus points for each sign up -- it is limited to the initial sign up and then that is it. If one re-ups for the card, there is not another sign up bonus.

As far as i know the Hilton Churn is relatively new ( or at least I just found out) not everyone is going to spend $4000K a year and get ( and be approved for) 4 cards a year to get 200K points. In reality very few do.

I have had at least 10 Marriott card sin the past 6 years, I get the points everytime but the free night cert is a bit trickier and lately I don't even bother.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
what are some of the best new cat 7 properties?

In the Clearwater Beach area the Doubletree North Redington Beach and the Hilton Clearwater Resort are nice
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyer4512
As far as i know the Hilton Churn is relatively new ( or at least I just found out) not everyone is going to spend $4000K a year and get ( and be approved for) 4 cards a year to get 200K points. In reality very few do.

I have had at least 10 Marriott card sin the past 6 years, I get the points everytime but the free night cert is a bit trickier and lately I don't even bother.
Ack! I thought that Chase did not give the bonus points once you had the card and that it was a one shot deal! The free night certs probably aren't worth the bother anymore.

As with HHonors, they may not get 4 cards/year but they certainly can handle 2 and in conjunction with a significant other, that is a whole lotta points! Hence, my belief that the credit card churn has killed HHonors, and given me new ammunition as to why the churn has contributed to the Marriott devaluation.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:36 pm

It's not the credit cards that killed HHonors per se, it is the ability to churn them that has.
I think it was people exploiting the drugstore Bonus on the HH Amex that killed it
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:39 pm

Ack! I thought that Chase did not give the bonus points once you had the card and that it was a one shot deal! The free night certs probably aren't worth the bother anymore.

As with HHonors, they may not get 4 cards/year but they certainly can handle 2 and in conjunction with a significant other, that is a whole lotta points! Hence, my belief that the credit card churn has killed HHonors, and given me new ammunition as to why the churn has contributed to the Marriott devaluation.

And if Chase, Citi, etc wanted all churning stopped they could have done it yesterday. They know very well with the $1000 or more spend only a small % are going to never pay interest. The people running these banks ar every smart....they let this go on for a $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ reason

I have never been denied a signup bonus on any card

Last edited by flyer4512; Apr 1, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:53 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
And if Chase, Citi, etc wanted all churning stopped they could have done it yesterday.
^
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I just got rid of my Marriott Visa when the annual fee was billed in May 2012 because my Chase Sapphire made it superfluous. Starting a few months later, I have been getting emails offering me the 70K signup bonus !
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brendan
I just got rid of my Marriott Visa when the annual fee was billed in May 2012 because my Chase Sapphire made it superfluous. Starting a few months later, I have been getting emails offering me the 70K signup bonus !
Unfortunately, I need it for the additional nights to hit lifetime Gold.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
I think it was people exploiting the drugstore Bonus on the HH Amex that killed it
agree..
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:11 am

I think HH exploited its members and relationship with Amex and duped them both. Ultimately, we're both left holding the bag. The only difference is that we can cancel our relationships with Amex.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
I think HH exploited its members and relationship with Amex and duped them both. Ultimately, we're both left holding the bag. The only difference is that we can cancel our relationships with Amex.
In my case nothing changed so far. My hotel is still a CAT 7 and the AXON 7 is still 145K

BTW, my Drugstore rewards comment was pointed towards a member of this forum who saw nothing wrong with exploiting that bonus but somehow believes churning is the root of all evil.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 4, 2013 at 6:33 pm Reason: Removed personal attack.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
I have Amex Hilton HHonors card and made an AXON booking for November this year. If I cancel the card now, will it affect my booking at all?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.