Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Effective Dec. 31 2016, Hilton eliminated AXON awards with no notice.
Print Wikipost

AXON Hilton Honors Award Questions and Information: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:48 pm
Suspended

A little worried here after hearing about the e-certs. I received a wedding gift from a friend of mine. This was two 4 night axon awards at two different properties. All I have is the confirmation but no certificate or anything similar.

Will I be okay? I don't want to go half way across the world and not get a room
Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by businessmachine
A little worried here after hearing about the e-certs. I received a wedding gift from a friend of mine. This was two 4 night axon awards at two different properties. All I have is the confirmation but no certificate or anything similar.

Will I be okay? I don't want to go half way across the world and not get a room
I bear some responsibility for this confusion, so I'll try to lay it out again to avoid concern.

1) Sometimes, when you book an AXON award, you also get in the e-mail something called a "certificate" which has its own number and its own expiration date.

2) It doesn't always happen. Nobody knows why -- or at least, there is some good and reasonable speculation in this thread, but there is no certainty on the issue. Sometimes, they come to your spam filter even if the reservation itself does not get caught in the spam filter. That actually has happened to me.

3) If you cancel an AXON reservation, usually (and seemingly more often lately) you need to separately cancel the cert in order to get your 125k or 140k points back. The way this often happens is that a person will try to cancel the AXON reservation on line, and the reservation will cancel, but they do not get their points back. This requires a call. The representatives do not alway say what they are doing, but there is a good belief they are cancelling the cert itself, which didn't automatically cancel when you cancelled on line, and that this is necessary to get the 125k or 145k refund.

4) You don't need the cert to check in, whether or not it was issued into your e-mail. At least, as far as I know, there is not a single report on FT or elsewhere that I have heard about where it has been a problem. So, if you don't have the cert, don't worry.

5) There is, though, one circumstance in which you might worry. When a cert gets issued, it has an expiration date one year after the date it is received. There are one or two confirmed reports of people who made AXON reservations more than one year out who were given a difficult time at check in. This is something to watch out for, especially for European reservations which allow booking more than a year out and also seem to generate the certs. In those circumstances in which I have done this and have received via e-mail a cert, I call within one year of the reservation and ask to have my certificate reissued to make the expiration date match up. This has gone pretty easily. If you are in this position -- where your AXON reservation is more than a year out -- I might remind yourself to call in within a year to see if there will be a problem. One issue we've been debating on the board (or at least I've been debating mostly with myself) is what will happen in these circumstances after 3/28. This is a bit of angels dancing on the head of a pin problem that involves considerable speculation and won't affect most people.

6) The main reason this issue of certs is even coming up is the question what might happen if you get a cert before 3/28, which is good for a year and for a category 7, for example. Might you be able to reuse that cert after 3/28 for a category 7, even if AXON no longer exists, exists in a different form, or the category 7 is considerably more expensive due to the seasonal variation issue? Again, this is a theoretical discussion at this point.

I hope that covers it. I'm not trying to panic anyone about the certs.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:54 am
Suspended

Thank you very much. I appreciate the clarification

Originally Posted by lkar
I bear some responsibility for this confusion, so I'll try to lay it out again to avoid concern.

1) Sometimes, when you book an AXON award, you also get in the e-mail something called a "certificate" which has its own number and its own expiration date.

2) It doesn't always happen. Nobody knows why -- or at least, there is some good and reasonable speculation in this thread, but there is no certainty on the issue. Sometimes, they come to your spam filter even if the reservation itself does not get caught in the spam filter. That actually has happened to me.

3) If you cancel an AXON reservation, usually (and seemingly more often lately) you need to separately cancel the cert in order to get your 125k or 140k points back. The way this often happens is that a person will try to cancel the AXON reservation on line, and the reservation will cancel, but they do not get their points back. This requires a call. The representatives do not alway say what they are doing, but there is a good belief they are cancelling the cert itself, which didn't automatically cancel when you cancelled on line, and that this is necessary to get the 125k or 145k refund.

4) You don't need the cert to check in, whether or not it was issued into your e-mail. At least, as far as I know, there is not a single report on FT or elsewhere that I have heard about where it has been a problem. So, if you don't have the cert, don't worry.

5) There is, though, one circumstance in which you might worry. When a cert gets issued, it has an expiration date one year after the date it is received. There are one or two confirmed reports of people who made AXON reservations more than one year out who were given a difficult time at check in. This is something to watch out for, especially for European reservations which allow booking more than a year out and also seem to generate the certs. In those circumstances in which I have done this and have received via e-mail a cert, I call within one year of the reservation and ask to have my certificate reissued to make the expiration date match up. This has gone pretty easily. If you are in this position -- where your AXON reservation is more than a year out -- I might remind yourself to call in within a year to see if there will be a problem. One issue we've been debating on the board (or at least I've been debating mostly with myself) is what will happen in these circumstances after 3/28. This is a bit of angels dancing on the head of a pin problem that involves considerable speculation and won't affect most people.

6) The main reason this issue of certs is even coming up is the question what might happen if you get a cert before 3/28, which is good for a year and for a category 7, for example. Might you be able to reuse that cert after 3/28 for a category 7, even if AXON no longer exists, exists in a different form, or the category 7 is considerably more expensive due to the seasonal variation issue? Again, this is a theoretical discussion at this point.

I hope that covers it. I'm not trying to panic anyone about the certs.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:36 pm
sjl

Programs: 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
AXON in Maldives

Just booked an award for 2/14 at Conrad in Maldives. Quick, efficient, friendly agent. Took total of 6 minutes^
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Same here - booked two back to back AXONs at Conrad-Maldives for late October. Good to get this in before things change.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
Trying to book AXON, no standard room available

I'm trying to book an AXON award for the Hilton Huntington Beach resort.

They don't have any standard rooms available (normally 50k) for the dates I need. The do have standard accessible rooms available for 50k. I can book these online with the GLON discount as the website says "...book these rooms if no other rooms available".

When I call on the phone the rep says they cannot book me the accessible room. Should I just keep calling to get someone that will let me book it with AXON or is it just not gonna happen?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bta15
I'm trying to book an AXON award for the Hilton Huntington Beach resort.

They don't have any standard rooms available (normally 50k) for the dates I need. The do have standard accessible rooms available for 50k. I can book these online with the GLON discount as the website says "...book these rooms if no other rooms available".

When I call on the phone the rep says they cannot book me the accessible room. Should I just keep calling to get someone that will let me book it with AXON or is it just not gonna happen?
What about booking the GLON award and then having them change it to an AXON?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:51 pm

I've had the same problem with Conrad Hong Kong and Conrad Singapore for next spring. I booked the rooms online and then called to change to AXON. I tried twice but no deal. One of the agents even kept looking for me over the course of a few days.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BA
I think I am just an idiot. I was calling the normal 1-800-hhonors #.

When I called the elite line or whatever it is, they straightened it out and booked the accessible room with AXON discount.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bta15
I think I am just an idiot. I was calling the normal 1-800-hhonors #.

When I called the elite line or whatever it is, they straightened it out and booked the accessible room with AXON discount.
No worries! We all have momentary lapses -- glad you were able to get your desired room!!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Booked AXON but showing up as diamond award

I just recently booked an AXON award. The diamond desk confirmed it was 145K but when I received the confirmation I got one that said diamond award 170K. Also, on the website is shows 170K diamond award. However, the proper amount of points seem to be deducted.

I'm a little uncomfortable with having a confirmation for the wrong award in the case that more points get deducted in the future or something goes wrong with the reservation.

Anyone have this happen to them and what did you do?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by AICML
I just recently booked an AXON award. The diamond desk confirmed it was 145K but when I received the confirmation I got one that said diamond award 170K. Also, on the website is shows 170K diamond award. However, the proper amount of points seem to be deducted.

I'm a little uncomfortable with having a confirmation for the wrong award in the case that more points get deducted in the future or something goes wrong with the reservation.

Anyone have this happen to them and what did you do?
That's just the way they do it. The CSR usually explains it , to avoid concern.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by beachmiles
That's just the way they do it. The CSR usually explains it , to avoid concern.
+1 I've had the CSR say something along the lines of, "You get an email confirmation showing a 170,000 point award, but don't worry, only 145,000 points will be deducted from your account." You're absolutely fine
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
great, thank you both for the quick response!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 1:26 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
AXON Awards Valid Any Day?

Am I able to book a AXON award at any time as long as it is 4 consecutive days or does the hotel availability need to show the points needed at a low level.

Example:

Tahiti Sat-Wed shows at 132K per night...
Tahiti Wed-Sat shows at 42,500K per night...

Would the AXON only work for the Wed-Sat booking?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.