Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa {CAN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa {CAN}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:02 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I have just checked the reward calendar & NO availability now until April 21 nor Dec. 2-8, but PS are available April 22--Dec. 1 & Dec. 9--Jan. 1/ 2007. I advise anyone to grab next winter dates now or 364 days in advance before it dawns on the manager to black 'em out!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 6:59 pm

Programs: hilton diamond, hyatt platimum,best western diamond elite
thanks sabrina...have booked for 12/26 thru 1/1...see you there! now i just have to find airfare from lax or orange county......looks like a great place....i don't ski, but everyone else in my party does...hope i can find something to do (but relaxing is ok also)

any suggestions would be appreciated
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:03 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Hilton has take a play from Westin's playbook down the street...between the mandatory resort fee (ski valet and bottles of water and access to the pools) ($20 CAD/day) and parking ($25CAD/day off the top of my head), the Westin rakes in $45+ CAD per day for very little effort above what is normal and customary for a hotel anywhere in the world. Pity the rooms that aren't skiing that day...they still are forced to pay the resort fee / ski valet charges (we skied only 3 of 6 days). Add on $15 CAD (approx) per day for Westin for high-speed internet (not even free in the lobby like in the USA), Westin/Whistler can knock out as much as $60CAD/day in things that are expected as part of the basic room rate in many if not the majority of US hotels. Add in the mandatory 6 day mini reservation during the holiday period, and wow...lots of forced revenue. I would understand if this were NYC where parking is a true expense too the hotel, but my hunch is this Westin long ago paid for the parking and now simply consider this another revenue source. They have taken "captive audience" to a new art form, and you can be sure a "free award stay" definitely has some expense to it. Hilton is merely following standard practice for this resort city.

And we're still 5 yrs from the 2010 Whistler Olympics.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 7:28 pm

Do reward stays pay the resort fee? The only Additional Charge listed on my confirm for 12/30 - 1/1 lists parking...
Old Jan 2, 2006, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by sabrina
On my past trips to Whistler, I would envy the people staying at the Delta Whistler Resort -- the location is superb.

I was just putzing around tonight on the Hilton site and checked room rates -- yowza! Very pricey. So I decided to check award availability for the fun of it -- and I booked a six-night Poinstretcher award for 12/26 - 1/1 -- NYE in Whistler -- I'm totally freaking out and I can't believe I have to wait a year to go on this trip!

The Pointstretcher award was only 144k vs. 175k for the GLONP award.

I am soooooo psyched!!! And I'm still in disbelief! I had previously booked a GLONP for Paris over Labor Day, but this is a much better value.

-Sabrina
Thanks for the heads-up Sabrina. I just booked three rooms 12/26-1/1 for 144k each. What a great find. The reservation manager is going to be pretty surprised.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:31 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by todd-r
A big thanks to sabrina for sharing the news of the point-stretcher.
We just picked up 2 nights (12/30 - 1/1) for new years 2006/07 (next year) for a total of 48,000 points (vs 80,000). In checking the regular rates, they want $599 per night!
A great find, and even many occasional Hilton guests can get with a couple of these nights with a relatively small investment. For $400, members with just 8,000 points can purchase 40,000 additional points toward two nights for this award. With New Years Day on a Monday, a reservation for Dec 30 - Jan 1 doesn't even require taking off any weekday vacation time. A bargain for a room that is currently offered at $569+.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:44 pm

Awesome -- I'm so glad some of you could take advantage of this as well!

See you there!

And if you don't ski (or snowboard!) -- there is a ton of stuff to do in Whistler. You can go dogsledding, snowshoeing...and of course, you can eat amazing food, do some incredible shopping, and spend some time at one of several spas. I love Whistler!

-Sabrina
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
BTW, why does almost every hotel in Whistler charge for parking (C$20 self at Hilton)?

Land is not in short supply there as it is downtown in a metropolis!
Actually, it is in very short supply to provide parking close to the slopes -- especially underground parking.

Free overnight parking is available in the village's Lot 4 which is about a 10 minute walk from the Hilton and neighboring Westin.
http://whistler.com/playhere/info/pa...portation.html

Parking at the major hotels seems to be outsourced to Advanced Parking Systems Ltd.
http://findwhistler.com/page.cfm/2881

I agree that the prices should be less for hotel guests, though. And the resort fees at the Hilton and Westin really tick me off.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:47 pm

If anyone can post a report on this property including upgrades and ammenities provided to Golds or Diamonds it would be appreciated!! I will be staying at this property soon.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:52 am

Point stretchers during Christmas Week!!!!!!!
Yahoo! ^ ^ ^
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:42 am

The Pointstretcher awards are now available at Whistler for Jan 1 and Jan 2, too.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:13 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, Alaska MVPG100K, Marriott Titanium Elite
Unbelievable

Just booked the 29th through the 2nd. Happy New Year 2007!!

Thanks for the great find
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:48 pm

We are booking for 12/27-1/2 tonight!!! I thought point-stretchers were like mirages.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 6:29 pm

Thanks sabrina!!! I will be there 12/26-30. All of us who have benefitted from her find should be sure to meet and buy sabrina one of her favorite beverages while we are there!!
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:29 am

Looks like they are on to it....

No availability at all for rewards any month I tried at random for 2006.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.