Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ramses Hilton {EGY}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:57 pm

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Many thanks for ther replies...I got the brand new Kempinski in a Deluxe cheaper than COnrad and USD 5 morfe than ramses with free woifi in room, 200 in room movies etc ect! Collegues say this is the best hotel in Cairo so,..... too bad hilton!
Old May 9, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Anyone know what kind of car the Ramses uses for pickups at the airport? I have asked the hotel twice and they don't seem to understand the question.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Anyone know what kind of car the Ramses uses for pickups at the airport? I have asked the hotel twice and they don't seem to understand the question.
Their manager reply to me :

Thank you for your e-mail.

It’s always a pleasure to hear from you.

Reference to your good self inquiry kindly note that arranged car will be Mercedes from the airport to the hotel at a cost of 40 US$ Per one way , once we receive your good self flight details and acceptance for the charges to be added to the hotel bill we will be glad to confirm your good self request.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:25 pm

Thumbs up Review Ramses Hilton Cairo

Arrival: I had a car pre-arranged. On our way to immigration there was a person with our name on a sign and after introducing himself he showed us where to get the visa on arrival and then met us after passport control, helped us retrieve our bags and showed us to our car. It was not a Mercedes as expected but a Chrysler 300 (or similar), still a nice enough car. The driver was friendly enough and decent enough English. The driver seemed to have a keen interest in selling us on other tours etc but I don't have a problem with that as he was nice about it and not pushy. We arrived at the hotel in about 1 hour.

Check In: Greeted by two very nice front desk ladies and once they looked up my name and saw we were on the executive floor they directed us to the 26th floor reception. On the 26th floor a very friendly lady checked us in and explained everything about the property and exec floor benefits.

Room: The room like the rest of the hotel is a bit dated but I thought considering its age it was very well maintained. There was fruit waiting for us and bottles of water was provided. We have a very nice view of the river from our room but the boats can get a little loud at night if you are a light sleeper. The balcony was nice but not large enough for sitting really. Internet in the room worked well enough but could be flaky at times.

Executive Lounge: Not a huge lounge but the service and offerings are pretty good. We would often come in the lounge for a snack and something to drink in the afternoon after coming back from sightseeing and always a friendly greeting. The only thing I didn't like about the lounge was that it did have a smoking section and due to the size it wasn't difficult for the smoke to fill the room. Luckily the staff did a good job at opening up doors to help vent the smoke so it would not be so bad.

Restaurants: We at the hotel restaurants a lot and found the service to be excellent and the food preparation to be excellent as well. The top floor restaurant had a great view and didn't really find it that expensive. One morning for breakfast one of the guys working came over and presented us with plates of pancakes decorated with our names on them. It was a very nice touch and as far as I know they just did it to be nice as it was no special occasion for us.

Location: This was our first trip to Cairo so I am not an expert on locations but this seemed to be quite good. The Cairo Museum is just a short walk away (difficult but short) and of course you have the river right there. So I guess it depends on where you are going and your plans but we found the location to be fine.

Summary: The staff at this property was over the top friendly and helpful. I would stay this one of the better experiences we have had with hotel staff ever. They were all fantastic. I also was very happy with our trip to Cairo. The city was fine with no reason not to go to Cairo as it was great and no troubles whatsoever.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:30 pm

Ramses Hilton Cairo Pics

Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:31 pm

Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Aeroflot Bonus, local tram pass
Thank you, especially for sharing the photographs! I love Cairo.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Just stayed there twice in the last two weeks. The photos above still apply. Basic, dated, Hilton rooms, good location, excellent service. We got it for 10k points a night, so a great deal.

My notes:

Airport pickup service was well worth it and very efficient both times, including dealing with visas etc. I would recommend it. For rides back to the airport especially, keep in mind you'll pay taxes on the trip so other sources could be better value.

Gold/Diamond get upgraded easily to the executive floors and get club access. 25th is non-smoking, 26th smoking. Lounge is on 26th and full of smoke and people hanging out most of the day. But they don't mind if you take your drink and leave. Around dinner'ish time, the lounge was attacked by people filling plates and even trays to take back to their rooms, other times was fine except for the smoke.

Nile view rooms are to be avoided at all costs. Party boats now dock right outside the hotel and go until very late hours. Request a city view.

Weekends the hotel gets overrun with folks from the middle east coming to party. It has kind of a Vegas extended weekend binge feel.

If you are HHonors status, proceed immediately to the 26th floor to check in during normal business hours. A special desk is available and easy to use. Staff there was fantastic and friendly and easy. (Warning, the juice or whatever drink they have sitting there was not changed out over several days, so I'd avoid it if I were you...)

Gold/Diamond breakfast benefit is solid and offered at the rooftop restaurant. Fantastic service and manager running the breakfast.

Free Gold/Diamond internet happens, but when using it it looks like you have to pay. So just sign up and then check your bill. They seemed pretty good about removing the charges, but when you logon you'll need to click as if you were about to pay for it.

Business center downstairs charges even for Gold/Diamond. 26th floor has one PC, printer, copier available for free 24 hours a day for boarding passes etc.

Indian restaurant is very good.

Gym had 8-10 machines of various types, all in good shape. Water in a cooler without cups, so bring a bottle, and your own sterile wipes if you're a clean freak.

Service was exceptional and friendly and gracious. Only exception was when checking in at 2am after landing CAI. Really poorly organized and kind of a push-your-way to the front situation with clearly overwhelmed staff. We arrived on a weekend night when (we were told later) they were swamped with the weekend party crowd.

Pool VERY loud due to traffic on the freeway. Wait staff kind of flakey, but the pool staff were amazingly attentive and friendly.

Finally, I'd stay there again. But I was very confused by the pricing. The Conrad food was cheaper in a much nicer setting, believe it or not. We were very perplexed by the high price points on food/drink. Easily solved, but still something to note.

Last edited by abaheti; Sep 2, 2014 at 10:58 am
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by abaheti
Just stayed there twice in the last two weeks. The photos above still apply. Basic, dated, Hilton rooms, good location, excellent service. We got it for 10k points a night, so a great deal.

My notes:

Airport pickup service was well worth it and very efficient both times, including dealing with visas etc. I would recommend it. For rides back to the airport especially, keep in mind you'll pay taxes on the trip so other sources could be better value.

Gold/Diamond get upgraded easily to the executive floors and get club access. 25th is non-smoking, 26th smoking. Lounge is on 26th and full of smoke and people hanging out most of the day. But they don't mind if you take your drink and leave. Around dinner'ish time, the lounge was attacked by people filling plates and even trays to take back to their rooms, other times was fine except for the smoke.

Nile view rooms are to be avoided at all costs. Party boats now dock right outside the hotel and go until very late hours. Request a city view.

Weekends the hotel gets overrun with folks from the middle east coming to party. It has kind of a Vegas extended weekend binge feel.

If you are HHonors status, proceed immediately to the 26th floor to check in during normal business hours. A special desk is available and easy to use. Staff there was fantastic and friendly and easy. (Warning, the juice or whatever drink they have sitting there was not changed out over several days, so I'd avoid it if I were you...)

Gold/Diamond breakfast benefit is solid and offered at the rooftop restaurant. Fantastic service and manager running the breakfast.

Free Gold/Diamond internet happens, but when using it it looks like you have to pay. So just sign up and then check your bill. They seemed pretty good about removing the charges, but when you logon you'll need to click as if you were about to pay for it.

Business center downstairs charges even for Gold/Diamond. 26th floor has one PC, printer, copier available for free 24 hours a day for boarding passes etc.

Indian restaurant is very good.

Gym had 8-10 machines of various types, all in good shape. Water in a cooler without cups, so bring a bottle, and your own sterile wipes if you're a clean freak.

Service was exceptional and friendly and gracious. Only exception was when checking in at 2am after landing CAI. Really poorly organized and kind of a push-your-way to the front situation with clearly overwhelmed staff. We arrived on a weekend night when (we were told later) they were swamped with the weekend party crowd.

Pool VERY loud due to traffic on the freeway. Wait staff kind of flakey, but the pool staff were amazingly attentive and friendly.

Finally, I'd stay there again. But I was very confused by the pricing. The Conrad food was cheaper in a much nicer setting, believe it or not. We were very perplexed by the high price points on food/drink. Easily solved, but still something to note.
I'd agree with this review. Leaving tonight after a 2 +/- night stay.

We arrived into CAI at 3 AM, spent an hour haggling with tour guides, and then arrived to the hotel around 5 AM; I did not prearrange transportation. The hotel graciously allowed us an early check in. We were put on the nonsmoking executive floor. I inquired as to the occupancy at time of check in and was told there were around 33% which was "good for them lately".

Housekeeping is great. Breakfast on the 1st level restaurant is buffet style and doable (was a little bit of a shock after a nice stay at the Park Hyatt Maldives!). Was never told about a breakfast option on the top floor restaurant.

The party boats are still going strong outside the hotel. Didn't keep us up as were are high (25th floor) and the drown of the A/C helps. But I did wake up a few times during the night and noticed the sound would quiet down around 2-3 AM.

Wifi worked great for us on this trip. Quick download time (low occupancy helps!) and never got disconnected.

We were given a late check out at 9 PM as out flight departed at 1 AM.

All in all, at 10k points this hotel is a steal, but could use a little refresh. With the Arab Spring, everything seems to have ground to a halt. Tough situation for sure.

Last edited by edbyu; Apr 4, 2015 at 8:08 am
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Originally Posted by edbyu
I'd agree with this review. Leaving tonight after a 2 +/- night stay.

We arrived into CAI at 3 AM, spent an hour haggling with tour guides, and then arrived to the hotel around 5 AM; I did not prearrange transportation. The hotel graciously allowed us an early check in. We were put on the nonsmoking executive floor. I inquired as to the occupancy at time of check in and was told there were around 33% which was "good for them lately".

Housekeeping is great. Breakfast on the 1st level restaurant is buffet style and doable (was a little bit of a shock after a nice stay at the Park Hyatt Maldives!). Was never told about a breakfast option on the top floor restaurant.

The party boats are still going strong outside the hotel. Didn't keep us up as were are high (25th floor) and the drown of the A/C helps. But I did wake up a few times during the night and noticed the sound would quiet down around 2-3 AM.

Wifi worked great for us on this trip. Quick download time (low occupancy helps!) and never got disconnected.

We were given a late check out at 9 PM as out flight departed at 1 AM.

All in all, at 10k points this hotel is a steal, but could use a little refresh. With the Arab Spring, everything seems to have ground to a halt. Tough situation for sure.

I stayed at this location in October 2014 for 2 nights as a Diamond. I also got the 10k points per night deal. Fantastic rate! I visited during the last few days of Eid, the muslim month of abstaining from vices. Like edbyu, I stayed post Arab Spring.

A few notes for my fellow American/Western travelers.

-- the party boats are not to be trifled with. They are loud, as edbyu says, and at least during my stay, they went on until 4am (perhaps to counter viceless Eid?).

-- I too stayed in a high floor (29th as I recall?) -- from my balcony at 2am I had my Shazam app on my iPhone successfully recognize songs being played when one party boat's speakers were well pointed up and at the hotel. I got a few choice dance tracks in arabic this way.

-- The A/C was loud and drowned out some of the party boat music. But the A/C is dry and I nearly got a nosebleed the first night from such crazy low humidity.

-- Important. Egyptians dress in long pants (slacks) and long sleeve shirts everywhere. I saw quite a few American tourists (one with a telltale Cabela's ballcap) in shorts and tight fitting clothes (men and women) and they endured a little cringe-worthy yells from passersby and shopkeepers. I wore brown loafers, zip-off trekking pants, and an ExOfficio light-colored long-sleeve shirt with cuffs rolled up and did not attract untoward attention. Despite this, every vendor and tour guide would approach me in English and ask me how I was enjoying my visit in Egypt from America. Folks, this isn't DisneyWorld. Dress correctly to be a little ... reverent and respectful... of the local culture and customs.

-- The tours offered by the front desk / concierge are top notch and inexpensive. I enjoyed a full-day private hire tour for under $200 with a private guide and private driver. Archeological digs have all but halted in Egypt due to the Arab Spring, so *many* scholars and academics normally on digs have turned to tourism and guiding to support their families. My tour vehicle (white van) was emblazoned with an AmEx logo ("AmEx Tours"), was perfectly fine, we stopped at good places, and I could ask open questions of my guide and got terrific cultured answers. These guys live for tips and I tipped heavily at the end of the tour and thanked them profusely and wished their families well.

-- When I was there, hotel security was heavy. (Perhaps due to Eid?). I was greeted in my black taxi by a pair of private-hire guards with M16's as the bomb-sniffing dog ran around my car and the trunk was visually inspected before getting through the front gates. Entering the hotel meant more private security, an immediate X-ray belt for luggage, a metal detector, and a pat down. Front door guys were visibly armed and wearing tactical / bulletproof vests with good radios. They are serious and all business, and as a result I never felt at risk within the confines of the hotel property.

-- There are a number of dining options in the hotel. I made use of the breakfast buffet at the top floor a few times (better than US locations, not as expansive as a good German breakfast offering for Golds / Diamonds). The views from breakfast are incredible.

-- There is a *good* Indian restaurant in the hotel. After eating lots of local food, this was a nice side-affair for dinner one night.

-- There is a lounge and a bar. I felt a little out of place in the bar during Eid, and I felt eyes upon me as the waiter approached me to take my order. I asked about the beers they had on hand, was given a decent bottled list to choose from, and settled on a Diet Coke which I ordered a little loudly. After ordering, my glances around the room were met with friendly smiles as though I had 'chosen the right thing to drink'.

-- Take heed of the markers in your hotel room that point towards Mecca (Makah). In my room, there were two nightstands by the bed, a moveable one that was unmarked, and an unmoveable one which had a semi-subtle marker and arrow for the direction of prayer. Once you see the arabic and the arrow, you'll look for it anytime you are inside in Egypt.

-- There are two ATMs / Cashpoints in the lobby that dispense Egyptian Pounds. I had no trouble pulling cash from my Wells Fargo and Chase checking accounts, both domiciled in California. As I recall, the maximum amount I could pull was the equivalent of $1000 USD, or about 7000 Egyptian Pounds. Most tourist shops take credit cards but you will have a much easier time bargaining / haggling with cash.

-- To avoid the craziness of unregulated taxis (coinciding with the end of Eid), I had the concierge arrange for my taxi back to the airport. This cab was regulated and safe and the driver spoke enough English that we could converse about typical subjects (weather, Eid, buildings on the way, etc.). The hotel was concerned it was an expensive fare for me to pay due to Eid (about 200 Egyptian Pounds, at 7:1 USD about $30), but I happily paid in cash. I tipped the driver 100 EGP and wished his family good fortune for the end of Eid. He warmly shook my hand and I got a good genuine smile from him. Money isn't the only thing that talks.

-- My tour guide friended me on WhatsApp as my tour ended as he is certain I will return to Cairo and do more exploration. It has taken a little time being away from the craziness of Cairo for me to realize he is very, very right.

Last edited by neilah; Apr 4, 2015 at 9:31 am
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I'm here right now. The HHonors desk never told me about the rooftop breakfast option as a Gold. If it is an option for me, is the food itself preferable to the second floor buffet, or only the view?
Old May 1, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Preacher7
I'm here right now. The HHonors desk never told me about the rooftop breakfast option as a Gold. If it is an option for me, is the food itself preferable to the second floor buffet, or only the view?
When I was there I'm not even sure the 2nd floor was an option. We went to the top floor roof restaurant and had a great experience. Very friendly staff. Fresh juices/smoothies made to order. Usual Hilton egg counter. Middle Eastern, British, American standard foods, etc etc.
Old May 1, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by abaheti
When I was there I'm not even sure the 2nd floor was an option. We went to the top floor roof restaurant and had a great experience. Very friendly staff. Fresh juices/smoothies made to order. Usual Hilton egg counter. Middle Eastern, British, American standard foods, etc etc.
That does sound delicious! Today, 2nd floor was open, but top floor wasn't. I'll check again tomorrow. It would sure be nice if they offered those smoothies on 2nd floor!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:20 am

Hilton Cairo. Terrible.

Hilton Cairo portrays itself as a five star hotel. More like three. Paint chipping at doors. Slower than molasses Internet. Constant 24x7 retro music from Nile River boats blasting into our room (high level). Can't sleep or relax. No coffee from morning maid service. Feeling that everything asked for is an attempt to nickel and dime us to death. Water? Two bucks for a small bottle. Three bucks for a small soda can. Heck, walked out the door to street vendors and bought water, soda, and coffee (Nescafe Packets) for a quarter each.

I was told by our tour guide that tourists should stay away from this hotel and instead stay at the Marriott (roughly same price, better quality, less noise).

Have to wait this out till Weds.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by edvasquez
Hilton Cairo portrays itself as a five star hotel. More like three. Paint chipping at doors. Slower than molasses Internet. Constant 24x7 retro music from Nile River boats blasting into our room (high level). Can't sleep or relax. No coffee from morning maid service. Feeling that everything asked for is an attempt to nickel and dime us to death. Water? Two bucks for a small bottle. Three bucks for a small soda can. Heck, walked out the door to street vendors and bought water, soda, and coffee (Nescafe Packets) for a quarter each.

I was told by our tour guide that tourists should stay away from this hotel and instead stay at the Marriott (roughly same price, better quality, less noise).

Have to wait this out till Weds.
I am assuming you are meaning the Ramses Hilton? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ton-egy-2.html

Sorry about your experience but hotels' charging for water is nothing unusual, and $2 seems quite normal. I have seen a lot more expensive in hotels in Asia and elsewhere.

And yes, crossing the street to a nearby convenience store is almost always the first thing I do when arriving at a hotel where you cant drink the tap water!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.