Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Homeless woman refused access to spare room in Hampton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Homeless woman refused access to spare room in Hampton

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I think the discussion point should be whether you have the right to have the guest of your choosing in a room you paid for.
That is the legal question. Does this Hampton Inn at this location have the legal right to refuse any customer for any reason they like? He could of told the front desk that his buddy is catching the midnight train to Memphis and register the new friends name to the room as an official additional guest. Weather its a new friend, a long lost friend or a family member it should not affect the hotels decision.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Either way if they had brought back a Victoria Secrets Model as their new found friend they would not been stopped or questioned about anything.
If this particular property is anything like Hampton Newcastle which is also in the middle of the party district I wouldn't bank on that.

At NCL they insist at check in that all guests names are listed on the registration form and the security staff check this when you get back late at night.

If you're not on that list you don't get near the lifts and I've seen quite a few "debates" between guests and security about it. It's also been mentioned on TripAdvisor that the security are pretty firm with it as well.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
That is the legal question. Does this Hampton Inn at this location have the legal right to refuse any customer for any reason they like? He could of told the front desk that his buddy is catching the midnight train to Memphis and register the new friends name to the room as an official additional guest. Weather its a new friend, a long lost friend or a family member it should not affect the hotels decision.
I'd love to hear both sides of the story. How did the hotel know she was homeless?

If it's a homeless person that hangs around the hotel a lot begging then maybe it would make sense to say she couldn't stay there if they had been banned from the property (some businesses tell homeless people they can't beg there) and they were scared if she spent the night there she would start begging other guests to pay for a room for her for the night.

At the Lima Peru Hilton one night I had a guest come up to my room for a little bit and the front desk clerk stopped us at the elevator and made him present an ID and made us both sign some guest form. Maybe she didn't have an ID?

Did the guy back up the room with a credit card for damages or did he pay cash? If he paid cash and the woman had been around the hotel a lot they may have had a concern of damage being done or room charges not being paid for without the security of the credit card.

What they did was very nice though. It was getting her off the street for a night without giving her the cash to spend for unintended purposes
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:57 am

Something not related to the issue at hand, but I thought I would mention it. Many years ago I had a booking at the Intercontinental Berlin, and they were being pretty anal about some early cancellation charge (reducing the booked length of stay).

So I wrote to the Front Office Manager that since my room was prepaid, I would invite a tramp to come and occupy the room and hang out in the lobby. The IC promptly agreed to refund the cost of the nights I did not plan to use!

(AFAIK, German law does allow a hotel guest to substitute another person for a booking; just like it allows a guest to claim some of the prepaid charges back for cleaning etc. if the room is not occupied).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by chrism20
If this particular property is anything like Hampton Newcastle which is also in the middle of the party district I wouldn't bank on that.

At NCL they insist at check in that all guests names are listed on the registration form and the security staff check this when you get back late at night.

If you're not on that list you don't get near the lifts and I've seen quite a few "debates" between guests and security about it. It's also been mentioned on TripAdvisor that the security are pretty firm with it as well.
The Lima Hilton is the same way at night. If you aren't registered to that room they will allow a guest up but they have to have a photo ID (which I'm wondering if she didn't have a photo ID and that was part of the problem in this case) and both the guest and person in the room have to sign a form starting they will be responsible for damages and won't allow the guest to roam around the hotel without them.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:09 am
jxd

Agree with the hotel. Too much of a security risk.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by chrism20

I agree with your point but I should of elaborated futher. The procedure should of been please register your guest on one of your rooms or purchase another room if 3 is too many in the room type they had. That is not what happened their guest was refused as a customer of any kind at that hotel. Their additional guest was not allowed on that property for any reason.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The Lima Hilton is the same way at night. If you aren't registered to that room they will allow a guest up but they have to have a photo ID (which I'm wondering if she didn't have a photo ID and that was part of the problem in this case) and both the guest and person in the room have to sign a form starting they will be responsible for damages and won't allow the guest to roam around the hotel without them.
Good point but they would not allow her to register. They did not care if she had ID or money. She was refused any access to the property for any reason
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jxd
Agree with the hotel. Too much of a security risk.
And if she was in the area begging when they decided to give her the room chances are she is a regular at the hotel trying to beg from guests. If that is the case I understand the hotel refusing to allow her to stay there. It will encourage her to start begging from other guests in the future and it's possible they had issues with her in the past. Last time I stayed at the Roosevelt in NOLA, which is a pretty high end property, I was waiting out front with out bags while my friend retrieved his car from a remote lounge and the employee working the valet stand asked me if I wanted a bottled water. A homeless guy was walking towards the hotel and asked if he could have one and the valet told him no and then he asked me if he could have my water He proceeded to enter the hotel and the employee stopped him and he said he had to use the restroom and they told him he wasn't allowed inside and they knew his first name so he must hang out there regularly. I could understand if I offered to buy him a room there that they would say he wasn't allowed in.

And the employee not having an issue with them videoing it tells me there is more to this story.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:17 pm

Good point but they would not allow her to register. They did not care if she had ID or money. She was refused any access to the property for any reason
The hotels response in the article was:
'With the registered guest having already brought a person back to the hotel that night, the maximum occupancy of the room type booked had been reached.
'Therefore the hotel team were unable to accommodate the guest's request to provide access for an additional person.'

That's pretty clear to me: He already brought a 2nd person back to his room, therefore exhausting the 2-person limit and because of this the hotel refused entry & registration of a 3rd guest for said room.
I know that differs from the story told before in the article about 2 guys, 2 rooms, but that's the way I understood the hotels response and imo they would be well within their rights.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:11 am

Hmm, I guess the question is "What is the hotel policy" for unregistered guests? While some may suggest a model would have been allowed, (I am sure it would have been obvious to all if the person was registered) that they would have been given a pass. What it says to me is that person has an inclination to allow certain folks vs. others.
If the policy says unregistered guests, it doesn't matter who they are. Here is the key, was the room booked for 2 or 3 persons? Now, some folks may plan on picking up a model (laughable) but the intent should be clear. Picking up anyone is a risk not just financially but to anyone else staying at the hotel regardless of the suggested pedigree by some. Many a rock star has severely damaged a hotel room and property
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: UA MM
Looking at that video.. Guy with no shirt in the hotel lobby, repeating the same argument with somewhat slurred speech (maybe just my difficulty with local Birmingham dialect), then they go sleep in their car... I'm afraid I'd side with the hotel security here.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by diver858
Call me cynical, but I am not buying the altruism, my BS meter is through the roof.
Exactly!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: United
Points in two rooms in the same hotel ok, different hotel not.

In the past I have had two rooms in the same hotel and believe I received points for both rooms.

Once I had a several week stay in a Hilton. I left one weekend for one night in a nearby city. To avoid taking several weeks of luggage with me I did not check out but checked into a different Hiton. I got points for the one night, not the long stay.

It took several months for Hilton Honors to remove the points for the one night and credit my account for the longer stay. They said I couldn't get points for the same night in two hotels - it was me or my stuff in both rooms, no strangers.

The next time I will check out for one night, leave my extra luggage in their storage, check back in and save one night's room charge.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
As per some posats, this Broad Street area is party-central street at weekends, and other hotels there, eg better Crowne Plaza that I frequent have similar policy/security to check returning guests 11pm onwards.

At Crowne Plaza same general location
a)returning guests must give both room number and name which security records. Nothing to stop a solo guest in double room bringing back non-registered guest. Some rooms they allow 3guests.

b)however if eg 2-guys sharing a room, with max 3ppn occupancy, (a) being recorded
i)allows first male guest bringing in a non-registered female guestwith(i) or separately
ii)allows the second male guest to return either later or at same time as (i)
BUT
iii)prevents second male guest also bringing back a second guest making room occupancy 4ppn, even if the resident guest try to sneak by 30mins or more apart.

What I don't understand from newspaper is the background of 2x rooms so 4ppn collectively allowed in the two rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.