Go Back   > > >

Old Jun 16, 17, 9:10 am   #1
Original Poster

Programs: Former NW WP Platinum, now a Delta pleb Hilton Diamond
How long before Hilton follows Marriott's 72hr cancellation policy?

I've seen comments that some properties have already adjusted their policies to match this:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...licy-72-hours/
exree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 9:32 am   #2

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR Gold
that really sucks for me if Hilton goes this way. My travel plans are always up in the air. I have Customers cancelling a day or two in advance all the time and rescheduling. I was thinking about trying to get marriott plat this year but with this news no way
robnc35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 9:40 am   #3
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP, HHonors Diamond
Hilton lead the charge: they switched to a 24-hr cancellation policy about two years ago. We all complained bitterly about it. We all still stay at Hiltons.

Neil
missamo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 9:45 am   #4

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BAEC nobody, Hyatt Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Premier, Marriott Gold, Nexus
It is already here. On my last two reservations that I just booked, including one 5 night award stay, the policy says 'If you wish to cancel, please do so 3 days prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties'. On the confirmation email, it is more specific: 'Cancellations are required by 11:59 PM on Jun 25, 2017 local hotel time'. This is for a stay starting June 28.
Finkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 9:52 am   #5

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold
Can they go in and retroactively change the terms on reservations you booked long ago?
Eujeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 10:23 am   #6
Original Poster

Programs: Former NW WP Platinum, now a Delta pleb Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
It is already here. On my last two reservations that I just booked, including one 5 night award stay, the policy says 'If you wish to cancel, please do so 3 days prior to arrival to avoid cancellation penalties'. On the confirmation email, it is more specific: 'Cancellations are required by 11:59 PM on Jun 25, 2017 local hotel time'. This is for a stay starting June 28.
I made reservations in Boston yesterday that are still 1-day cancellation
exree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 11:15 am   #7

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Wheeeee! A speculation thread!
Herb687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 12:25 pm   #8

Hilton Actually Led on This

Hilton started making longer cancelation policies months ago. But they've been stealthy about it. If you book online or through the app, you really need to read to see what the cancelation policy is. Some have continued to allow cancelation on the day of arrival. Others have gone to 24 hours or 23:59 pm the day before arrival. Others have gone to 2,3,5,7 or 14 days in advance.

The bigger deal is that reps on the Diamond Desk used to call properties to ask for exceptions for Diamond members who had to late cancel. No more. They've been told in no uncertain terms that the decision on whether to charge for late cancelation now rests entirely with the property. And they have been particularly prohibited from calling properties for exceptions. The Diamond desk can lodge an appeal after the fact if the member wants. But those are almost uniformly rejected if an exception has been made previously for the member.
retiredfromhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:06 pm   #9

Programs: UA MP HH
Embassy Suites...at least most the ones I frequent, have been 72 hours for a long time.
BlueZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 2:30 pm   #10

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M, HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Hilton lead the charge: they switched to a 24-hr cancellation policy about two years ago. We all complained bitterly about it. We all still stay at Hiltons.

Neil
I tend to book hours before arrival due to 24h cancellation policy. Accors have same day cancellation, some other chains and non-chain hotels up to 18.00 on the day of arrival.
Richmond_Surrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 17, 3:55 pm   #11
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat, DL Plat, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Plat, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis CC, Hertz Plat
There is a way around everything. This change wouldn't bother me at all.
GNALUZU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:44 am   #12

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond National Executive Elite
I have noticed it totally varies depending on which property it is...I have had last minute changes, and 1 trip when I was caught in a suck a cluster*k of traffic there was no way I was going to make it to hotel--I called and the hotel graciously rebooked me--I did have to pay more for a last minute reservation but I had no choice.

Last edited by nlkm9; Jun 17, 17 at 5:44 am Reason: mispell
nlkm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:45 am   #13

Programs: American Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond National Executive Elite
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredfromhilton View Post
Hilton started making longer cancelation policies months ago. But they've been stealthy about it. If you book online or through the app, you really need to read to see what the cancelation policy is. Some have continued to allow cancelation on the day of arrival. Others have gone to 24 hours or 23:59 pm the day before arrival. Others have gone to 2,3,5,7 or 14 days in advance.

The bigger deal is that reps on the Diamond Desk used to call properties to ask for exceptions for Diamond members who had to late cancel. No more. They've been told in no uncertain terms that the decision on whether to charge for late cancelation now rests entirely with the property. And they have been particularly prohibited from calling properties for exceptions. The Diamond desk can lodge an appeal after the fact if the member wants. But those are almost uniformly rejected if an exception has been made previously for the member.

this is true. they do not appeal on your account anymore.
nlkm9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 5:53 am   #14

Programs: HH Gold, AA Plat
I have seen these extended windows on some of my reservations recently as well. I got lucky on one recent stay that i knew i wanted to change about 80 hours ahead of time, i had not realized it had that window.

Are we still not getting stay / night credit in the event of a no-show or late cancel. I have never been able to figure that out - and i know the airlines do it too..... it just doesn't make any sense to me.
Bkniaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 17, 9:57 am   #15

I have no idea about the US but in Europe the chains are absolutely desperate to poach corporate biz from one to another and cancellation periods are absolutely imperative to that lucrative business. I still see 6PM cancellations on the big corporate contracts and I would be extremely surprised if that were to change. On the other end, Hilton's et al might not like it but OTAs still pull the shots-just take a glance at a breakfast list to see the sea of BOOKINGCOM rates. They have typically generous cancellation policies and I can see more OTAs USP being their flexible cancellation policy because its a big negotiating point where the independent hotels are so weak and rely on the OTAs. We all look through the prism of Marriott vs Hilton but independents are on that platform when the biggest booking engines of all list them all together and if its two clicks to book most travellers couldn't give a hoot if its Hilton or a nice 4*.
hugolover is offline   Reply With Quote