Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Citi Hilton Honors cards going away by end of 2017

Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Looking at Citi's website the official policy on the free weekend night is:

To receive the weekend night certificate, you must spend $10,000 on purchases within a year (starting from your Annual Fee Date) and your account needs to remain open for at least one billing period after your Annual Fee Date. Your Annual Fee Date is the date that your card account is billed for your annual fee and resets each year on that date.

Several websites indicate that Citi provides for a pro-rated fee refund if you don't cancel within 30 days (similar to Amex) so it sounds as if you could get your free night and cancel and receive about an $80 credit (assuming they would charge you for two months of the fee).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
I sent a secure message asking what was happening to the card and would I be receiving a prorated fee adjustment is it was no longer a Hilton card after 12/3117.
Citi responded with:

In regards to the Annual Membership Fee, please note that your account
will not be closed after 12/31/2017, it is being migrated to the new
bank.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Whoa! Sounds as though they are taking the position at AMEX that if you're good enough for Citi you're good enough for us in this one instance.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Whoa! Sounds as though they are taking the position at AMEX that if you're good enough for Citi you're good enough for us in this one instance.
It would be kind of funny since I cancelled my Surpass card last year if I wind up having one again. At least it would give me gold status in 2018.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have the no annual fee Visa, so am curious as to whether they'd match it to an existing product, or create a new equivalent? While I'm not really interested having a third AMEX card, this beats transferring the credit line to a Citi product in which I have zero interest or need.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have the no annual fee Visa, so am curious as to whether they'd match it to an existing product, or create a new equivalent?
Amex has a HHonor no fee card. So you will probably be switched to that.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I want my Free Night Certificate whether I have to pay the annual fee or not.
Does this card still have the free night as a benefit?

Neither my wife or I have received our free night certificate since late 2015. I just assumed that was a signup bonus.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
Does this card still have the free night as a benefit?

Neither my wife or I have received our free night certificate since late 2015. I just assumed that was a signup bonus.
If by "this card" you mean the Citi Reserve you get a free weekend night when you spend $10K in a year (starting with your anniversary date).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:10 pm

If by "this card" you mean the Citi Reserve you get a free weekend night when you spend $10K in a year (starting with your anniversary date).
Yes. Apologies. I thought the Hilton Citi Reserve was the topic of this thread.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Due to a very exciting divorce/theft of assets by ex/foreclosure/bankruptcy back in early 2008, I'm persona non grata with Amex, but within the last 9 ˝ years I'm back to a 770 FICO even though the BK is still on my credit report until 2018. I understand that since Amex was part of my BK, they'll most likely never approve an application from me again (all my online applications have been immediately denied without a credit inquiry...)

If (and I know it's still a big *if*) Amex buys this portfolio of cards, do you think Amex will issue me one to replace my Honors Signature card that Citi issued me? This would be an outstanding way for me to backdoor my way into the good graces of Amex once again.

Although I realize Citi and Amex have different procedures, does anyone know of anyone who was blacklisted with Citi who had a Costco Amex but didn't receive the Citi Amex (just for anecdotal purposes?)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yes. Apologies. I thought the Hilton Citi Reserve was the topic of this thread.
No, this thread is about two different Citi Hilton cards: The Reserve, and the no-AF card (which has no specific name).

Anyway, we don't know yet what Amex will do. Any guesses are pure speculation.

For many people, the much bigger question is whether they will keep the 0% forex on the Reserve cards that become Amex cards, since the current Amex Surpass cards has forex fees.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
My annual fee was February 2017. I got the night certificate after for the spend last year around March 2017. Two questions:

1) I already spent another $10K after the annual fee, so I am hoping to get another night certificate (even though technically I should get it around March 2018). Will I be able to get it before Dec 31, 2017?

2) I am really wondering when I should spend the $40K to get diamond status. My statement closes on the 20th of every month. Is it risky if I finish my spending on December 30, 2017? Will the status be valid for a year or two years?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
There is a FAQ section on the HH website. The other thing of note is that Gold status will be ongoing with the Surpass card. (I haven't had the Surpass in a while, but the old version was good for only one year of gold status and then you had to earn it. This makes the Surpass card more like the Citi Reserve card that gives status as part of the annual fee, which is positive compared to previous incarnations of the AMEX.) Don't like the 2.7% FTF. Anyone know if Amex will give the 75,000 bonus for people who had the card previously? I know they can be pretty tight when it comes to churning.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:49 am

I double-checked. It was the Citi Reserve Card that gets a weekend night after 10K spend. Did not receive a weekend night after my card's annual cycle in Jan 16 and Jan 17 (spent far in excess of $10K both years). Wife did not receive for 2017 (also spent in excess of $10K). We both received the 2 weekend night's bonus in 2015 (used them at the Conrad in Toyko).
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
I double-checked. It was the Citi Reserve Card that gets a weekend night after 10K spend. Did not receive a weekend night after my card's annual cycle in Jan 16 and Jan 17 (spent far in excess of $10K both years). Wife did not receive for 2017 (also spent in excess of $10K). We both received the 2 weekend night's bonus in 2015 (used them at the Conrad in Toyko).
bummer. ask Lauren to look into this for you. I know the previous lurker was helpful in tracking down my cert the first year. Or you can call Citi. It might be too late for the 2016 cert (though they might also make it right) but your 2017 certs (you have two coming, correct?) should still be valid through the beginning of 2018. The subject line of the email should be "Your Reward Certificate has arrived!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.