Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors and American Express Co-brand Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:45 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors

Hi all,

Wanted to check in and let you know the latest Hilton Honors news. After an extensive RFP process, Hilton has decided to enter into an exclusive partnership with American Express for its Hilton Honors co-branded credit cards in the United States beginning Jan. 1, 2018.

We made this decision because American Express shares our commitment to providing exceptional customer service and offering our members the best, most unique experiences possible.

While we don’t have all the details just yet, I wanted to share this preview with you. Nothing will change today, as Citi cardholders will still continue to earn Points until the end of this year. Points earned on the program will be credited to their Hilton Honors account as they normally would, and current Point balances will remain in their Hilton Honors account. Status earned through the Citi Hilton Honors Visa Card will be honored through the date the status is currently set to expire.

Again, we’re in the early phases of this decision, but wanted you to be among the first to know. More details to follow in the coming months.

In the meantime, for questions related to the Hilton Honors program, including questions about Points balance and status, please reach out to Hilton Honors Customer Service at 1-800-4HONORS. For Citi members who have questions related to their cards, Citi has advised contacting them directly by calling the number on the back of their card.

Thank you,
Lauren

Last edited by Hilton Honors Ambassador; Jun 1, 2017 at 6:15 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: UA: MM
Lauren,

Thank you for sharing this.

This could be good or bad. As a holder of both the AMX Personal Platinum Card and the Citi Visa, I would welcome the opportunity to reduce my card count by one. On the other hand, I don't want to swap one card for another.

So, if I can keep my personal AMX and slap the Hilton Honors program layer on top, with all the current benefits and rules of the existing Citi card - great.

If I have to get another AMX card OR if I loose the associated benefits (especially the spend for Diamond status) - this will not be a good thing.

We will patiently wait to see how this plays out.

FWIW
DLM
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Lauren, important question, please don't let it get lost in the shuffle!

One of the perks of the Citi card was that you got a 10,000 pt H bonus if you spent $1,000 at Hilton properties in a calendar year.

Last year we earned it in October 2016, but, as stipulated in the rules, it did not post until the following calendar year, in my case February 2017.

If the Hilton relationship with Citi ends on January 1, does that mean that 10,000 pt bonus, earned in 2017, but not due to post until 2018, will NOT be credited?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Lauren thank you very much for sharing this. As I'm sure you know, we tend put a lot of thought into our spending strategies as to when and where we use our cards during the year for specific travel goals. This is very helpful to me.

Feedback - I prefer Amex and they get the majority of my spend overall. However with respect to Hilton's card offerings, I find the Citi Reserve to be a better product than the Amex Surpass because of the weekend night certificates and lack of fx fees. Citi gets my Hilton spending now, but I imagine this partnership will cause the Amex card products and offerings to be revisited. I'm willing to pay a higher fee for a card with more benefits, and hopefully the Amex exclusive relationship will create additional card offerings such as this rumor:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/americ...iamond-status/

Question - I earned my next weekend certificate that and will be issued to me in November of 2017 and will be valid for one year. Should I anticipate this certificate will still be valid for the full year, or will it expire now on 12/31/17?

Last edited by Michael19887; Jun 1, 2017 at 7:26 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:18 am

Not the best move. Amex has foreign transaction fees and no certificate. Hilton is worldwide. I won't pay 2+% on top of the yearly fee just for the privilege to use my card outside US. Citi has the better card.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: United Premier Silver, Hilton Diamond
Wow, this is disappointing as I use both cards quite a bit. I put my airline and rental cars on the Citi card to maximize the points from those, and most everything else on the AMEX. Also really like the free night certificate each year from Citi.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by kyoshiromibu
Not the best move. Amex has foreign transaction fees and no certificate. Hilton is worldwide. I won't pay 2+% on top of the yearly fee just for the privilege to use my card outside US. Citi has the better card.
I agree. Very upset about this development. If anything, I would rather Hilton continued its partnership with Citi rather than AmEx. There is nothing 'best' or 'unique' about the AmEx card.

Last edited by Andriyko; Jun 1, 2017 at 7:40 am
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:48 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Disappointing to hear this. For me personally I already have an amex I throw spend on (Delta) and having a Visa that I'm using for a spend threshold is great for places that won't take amex (e.g. Costco, some overseas places, miscellaneous merchants). Oh well ...
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Hoping that maybe with this deal, the foreign transaction fee goes away on the Amex Hilton Surpass card.

Also fingers crossed that a business version of the Hilton Amex might get introduced....
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Lauren, important question, please don't let it get lost in the shuffle!

One of the perks of the Citi card was that you got a 10,000 pt H bonus if you spent $1,000 at Hilton properties in a calendar year.

Last year we earned it in October 2016, but, as stipulated in the rules, it did not post until the following calendar year, in my case February 2017.

If the Hilton relationship with Citi ends on January 1, does that mean that 10,000 pt bonus, earned in 2017, but not due to post until 2018, will NOT be credited?

Hi Eujeanie,

Good question - glad you asked. If you meet all requirements (such as spending at least $1,000 on your Citi Hilton Honors Visa Card at eligible hotels in the Hilton Portfolio by December 31, 2017), you will receive your 10,000 Bonus Points and should receive them no later than March 31, 2018.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael19887
Lauren thank you very much for sharing this. As I'm sure you know, we tend put a lot of thought into our spending strategies as to when and where we use our cards during the year for specific travel goals. This is very helpful to me.

Feedback - I prefer Amex and they get the majority of my spend overall. However with respect to Hilton's card offerings, I find the Citi Reserve to be a better product than the Amex Surpass because of the weekend night certificates and lack of fx fees. Citi gets my Hilton spending now, but I imagine this partnership will cause the Amex card products and offerings to be revisited. I'm willing to pay a higher fee for a card with more benefits, and hopefully the Amex exclusive relationship will create additional card offerings such as this rumor:

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/americ...iamond-status/

Question - I earned my next weekend certificate that and will be issued to me in November of 2017 and will be valid for one year. Should I anticipate this certificate will still be valid for the full year, or will it expire now on 12/31/17?

Hi Michael19887,

Of course, glad to keep you all updated and thanks for the feedback. Re: weekend night certificates...

The expiration dates on weekend night certificates will still be good for one year from the date of issue.

Thanks!
Lauren
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA, DL, AF
Lauren,

I hope you're taking note of the complaints regarding the FX fees on the Hhonors Surpass card. I upgraded recently and am happy with the other benefits and the Amex level of service. Can't for the life of me understand why I have to pay FX fees on top of an AF. The $75 is a no brainer considering the free night after having the card for a year, plus the Gold status and the 100k bonus points. But I'll be going to Europe at the end of the month and not using this card. I'll even be staying at a Hilton for part of my visit! I have several other cards with no FX fees, so they'll be getting my euro-spend instead.

The SPG doesn't charge FX, so this is baffling.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi Eujeanie,

Good question - glad you asked. If you meet all requirements (such as spending at least $1,000 on your Citi Hilton Honors Visa Card at eligible hotels in the Hilton Portfolio by December 31, 2017), you will receive your 10,000 Bonus Points and should receive them no later than March 31, 2018.

Thanks!
Lauren
Thank you! Printing out this reply so when they don't post, I can remind you.

I liked this Citi card because it was no fee, and had this 10,000 pt. bonus. We also have the Amex Surpass card which gives a much higher multiple for H stays, and has the 500 pt Amex booking bonus. Each had their place.

I have other cards that have no FTFs.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:30 am

So, say I had a friend who is about $35k into the $40k spend required for earning diamond status via the Citi Reserve card, and he expects to finish by August. Is that soon enough to earn diamond for 2018? Or am I is he at risk of not getting it because Citi's losing Hilton?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:59 am

Well that's disappointing. One of the nice things with my Citi Hilton card is that it includes (at no additional charge) the travel insurance, INCLUDING reasons for things like if you pet gets sick. Amex has no such thing (which would mean I'd have to spend an extra $200 or more to get a "cancel for any reason" policy).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.