Search

Formal policy banning uber eats?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Uber Eats must be destroying the Hotel food model. But its quite reasonable to pick up at lobby. I don't want some random food delivery person going walking through the halls.
Delivery food has been around forever. This is the same song, different verse.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf

If it was really about security they could require the delivery person to wait at the front desk while the clerk calls my room to verify that I was expecting a delivery and to give me a heads-up that it is on the way up.
I disagree. I used to work for a hotel in Las Vegas. We had no key card restrictions to get to the rooms. Pizza guys would come into the hotel and toss flyers under the doors of all the rooms. They would put multiple flyers from multiple restaurants under there each time. It was a nuisance.

Guests would come back to a room and have 3-5 flyers on the floor they would then have to pick up. Also, we had tile entryways so it created a slip hazard to have these heavy-paper pizza flyers on the floors as guests entered the room.

We sent letters to about ten pizza joints telling them to stop, they ignore the letters, and then we sued them for trespass and that helped convince them to knock it off.

Hotels have good reason not to allow delivery people, solicitors, Jehovah's witnesses, etc. to roam their halls.
Old May 26, 2017, 3:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by David Ocamb
I'm currently staying at a mainline Hilton property. I was just told by the front desk associate and later the manager when I inquired for more information that they forbid uber eats and other external delivery services for security reasons and required all guests to meet any delivery person in the lobby. I've never had a problem with this before and was curious if anyone else had heard of this. Suffice to say it gave me a horrible taste for Hilton in my mouth.
It's not a consistent policy/practice across Hilton, but I've encountered this at various properties in the Hilton portfolio as well as in the portfolio of Hilton competitors. It's also sometimes encountered at condo-hotels, including those currently or previously affiliated with Starwood and/or Marriott. Usually it seems to be that the higher end hotels are more likely to be more strict about non-guest access to the various floors than the lower end hotels. But as more and more hotels go to a key card access system to use the main elevators at least, it becomes harder and harder for delivery guys to get to the rooms, and so picking up food delivery in the lobby has increased in frequency.

When I used to stay in some rather high-end hotels in some of the more expensive cities for my extended stays, it wasn't so rare for me to become rather known for being the person ordering delivery pizza, Chinese food or the like. If the front staff and delivery guys (it's mostly males) got to recognize my pattern and the delivery personnel, then sometimes they would eventually get around to not hassling me to go down or send someone down to get my stuff.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I disagree. I used to work for a hotel in Las Vegas. We had no key card restrictions to get to the rooms. Pizza guys would come into the hotel and toss flyers under the doors of all the rooms. They would put multiple flyers from multiple restaurants under there each time. It was a nuisance.
For years, Orlando has had a problem with fake flyers. Hotel guests call the number to order pizza and give their credit card number. No pizza gets delivered. It's a scam to collect credit card numbers.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/fak...51107085454955
Old May 26, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
For years, Orlando has had a problem with fake flyers. Hotel guests call the number to order pizza and give their credit card number. No pizza gets delivered. It's a scam to collect credit card numbers.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/fak...51107085454955
Oh right, I think that was another argument we made to get the injunction against the pizza joints.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Is this an American thing? I can't imagine getting outside food delivered to my room in a hotel. If I really wanted food delivered, I would wait for the driver on the road outside the hotel, not even in the lobby.
I was a fast food delivery person in a couple of different cities in the U.K. 15 years ago. We regularly delivered to hotel guests then.

There's a limit to the number of hotel club sandwiches I want to eat in a year (1). Hotel restaurants are generally slow, awful and expensive. If you're going to eat in your room there's no real difference between food delivery and room service.

Although I don't mind meeting the delivery person in reception, it's 45 degrees C where I am right now, I'm not going to wait for the bike on the street!
Old May 26, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Delivery food has been around forever. This is the same song, different verse.
Yes, but the convenience factor of ubereats and similar apps cannot be overlooked. At a recent hotel I stayed at the front desk was flooded with delivery food from UberEats.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Yes, but the convenience factor of ubereats and similar apps cannot be overlooked. At a recent hotel I stayed at the front desk was flooded with delivery food from UberEats.
Some hotels charge to accept FedEx packages and the like for guests. I would hope that such kind of practice doesn't end up hitting food delivery services by third parties, but I expect some hotels will try to be greedy about this too.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Some hotels charge to accept FedEx packages and the like for guests. I would hope that such kind of practice doesn't end up hitting food delivery services by third parties, but I expect some hotels will try to be greedy about this too.
Not the same ballgame. Fed Ex delivers to the hotel...the hotel accepts the package then holds and brings it to or alerts the guest.

A guest isn't going to order their food at 9am. The hotel isn't going to collect and hold your Pizza and Sesame Chicken all day until you return from your activities.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I agree having the food delivered to your door is convenient, but my convenience should not out weight the safety of other guests. Ive been in too many places where guests use the flip lock to keep doors open while they go fetch ice or something. Getting dressed for a lobby pickup is not as bad as having to dress for an outside adventure in the car (if I have one) so that's fine with me.

Many motel'ish places will have menus in the room for a local delivery service, especially if they don't offer room service themselves. But then, most of those places don't have the ability to provide any security to keep out unwanted guests.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:56 am

I'll never have food delivered to a hotel that has on site restaurants. I think it's similar to bringing a bottle of water into a restaurant and drinking it.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:05 am

Why not?

you surely wouldn't refrain from using your cellphone to make calls because there was a phone in the room, or order a movie through the pay TV even though you had something you would watch on your laptop...would you?
Old May 27, 2017, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'll never have food delivered to a hotel that has on site restaurants. I think it's similar to bringing a bottle of water into a restaurant and drinking it.
This isn't about ordering food for delivery to eat it in a restaurant at the hotel. It's about using the hotel room to eat whatever you want to eat and bringing that into the room.

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Not the same ballgame. Fed Ex delivers to the hotel...the hotel accepts the package then holds and brings it to or alerts the guest.

A guest isn't going to order their food at 9am.
Some guests do. Also, some people have some history of having food ordered from one city for delivery in another city and using commercial delivery services to get the food delivered for themselves or others. Sometimes that has involved a hotel charge for holding the delivered package with food in it.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread title is a bit misleading, I doubt they are specifically banning Uber Eats from delivering to your room, they probably ban all food delivery service to your room.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Convenience of UberEATS or Yelp24 may be a small factor, but I've yet to find a hotel front desk of a business hotel that doesn't keep flyers from local delivery places or a list of nearby restaurants that deliver and phone numbers. Luxury or resorts may be different but most hotels recognize frequent travelers tire of standard hotel dining options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.