Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rant-Why doesn't HH phone line have caller id to identify members calling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I know this is going to sound petty to some but I get irritated every time I have to call Hilton and enter my HH Number and zip code and then give the live rep my phone number and email every time (not to mention if someone is driving it's dangerous they don't offer the option to give the info via voice).

I have an upcoming trip and had to call both Delta and Hilton over it since it involved some things that couldn't be done online.

When I called Diamond their caller ID recognized my number and I was greeted with a computer message "welcome back xxx" Talked to the diamond desk agent and they got everything handled without being asked any info. Only info they asked was if the email on record was good to mail the receipt to.

When I called Hilton about the availablility for using a citi cert from the phone number they have one file I had to type in my HH number and then my zip code. After being connected to an agent even though I had just put in my HH number and zip code the agent required me to verify my phone number on record (which is the phone I was using) and my email.

It would definitely save me a lot of time if their system worked like Delta's and some other companies I have to call and just have caller ID and if you are calling from that number on your account leave it at that. Seems like it would save the HH agent time as well by not having to verify that info.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

spoofing caller ID numbers is trivial. it's absolutely terrible method of authentication and authorization.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BenSenise
spoofing caller ID numbers is trivial. it's absolutely terrible method of authentication and authorization.
I know, but is someone going to really spoof a number to call Hilton? And even if they did if they know the persons HH Number through fraud they'll surely know their phone and email
Old May 22, 2017, 12:05 pm

Hilton is in the final stages of arranging for Honors points to be redeemable for virtually anything on Amazon. The bad guys (who have until now been limited to using stolen points to buy electronic goods on the current Hilton shopping mall, which is run by Maritz and is pretty crappy) can't wait. The security around Honors accounts is pretty weak. As others have pointed out, spoofing Hilton's phone system is trivial. Asking members to repeat their details is tedious (and not terribly secure), but in the absence of a robust PIN based system, etc is better than nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.