Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York Times Square West {US-NY}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York Times Square West {US-NY}

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2017, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York Times Square West {US-NY}

Has anyone stayed here? I couldn't find a thread or anything post-open on it. I like that their press release had information on the Gold/Diamond benefits including the Wake Up Doubletree Breakfast which I've never tried (mostly a MR guy).

Are the elevators secured? My companion is coming late at night and it's sometimes a hassle and I sometimes lose my key when I run, so also a hassle but not a deal breaker.

I was going to book The Autograph from 5/25 to 5/30 with a combo of AAA rates and points to net out to $650 and 40K MR points. This Doubletree is $695 ($118/night) for the entire stay and no points. Boo hoo on not getting the MR nights but I'll get them later.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Also, really odd booking and rate experience. My plans for trip were most likely to do Thur/Fri as $, Sat as points and Sun/Mon (holiday) as $ with either Marriott, SPG or Hilton. I had it narrowed down to W on Lexington or Lexington (Autograph). None of the Hilton properties were price competitive so that I wouldn't have to switch.

Then I thought well, maybe I stay 3 nights at one place and switch for the last two and no points. I searched on Hilton for 5/28 to 5/30 at the AAA & MVP rates and this place showed up at $118. I started booking that and then added 5/27 after I had already selected the room. It kept the rate. I then got greedy and changed it to all 5 nights and it kept the $118 rate. I have the confirmation.

Yesterday, when I checked all 5 nights, it was $230+. Today, it was at $177 when I first checked all 5 nights. For that brief window when I picked a room, changed the dates at the pre-summary, it kept that low rate. Now I can't get it to do it and the rate for all 5 days is $50 higher. I can't imagine that my 1 room changed rates/inventory that much. Somehow the system put the rate for my 5 days as substantially lower through some booking glitch or like 5 minutes. I hope no issues with rate being honored, it's not that ridiculous.
Old May 12, 2017, 4:32 pm

I stayed there once... Brand new hotel, one of the smallest room I've ever seen in Manhattan although I was upgraded as Diamond. Hotel is "too new", the staff is poorly trained and it still need to "warm up" a little bit.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:52 am

stay away

i wanted to post a review sans-photos. I stayed about a month ago as a Diamond member. The lobby and the breakfast area are very pretty, and the buffet was great. that's where the fun ends. there are 2 elevators that are chronically backed-up to the point of the setup being simply dangerous. the rooms are TINY (smallest Hilton room i've ever used) and are completely unfurnished save for a tiny, junky set of drawers that almost tipped over on me. no closet. the carpet in my room was FILTHY when i got in (although new). the Bathroom had no decor and no shelves, meaning it felt like a hospital-room bathroom. it's non-tub shower that had a cheap plastic curtain. there are no suites, so you won't be getting a better room. my fiancee called this a motel in the sky.

bottom line is they often have great rates for last-minute bookings (and don't "lock-in"; having observed, they commonly bring the rates here down and down until the day-before or even day-of). but the place is downright depressing and eerie other than the 1st floor.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Gold (1mm) , Hilton Diamond, Aer Lingus Newbie
Thanks for the review.

I have been tempted by the low rates (almost always the cheapest in Manhattan) but put off by the location.

Now I see the hotel is afflicted by the NYC double whammy of small (tiny?) rooms and terrible elevators. I sometimes wonder how some of these new hotels got a certificate of occupancy given how bad the wait for elevators can be. Tall and thin is still tall.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
I've stayed here a few times. Once when they were only open for 2 weeks, and a few times since.

Rooms: Even as a Diamond, you're getting a tiny room. And this is a new build, so they intended to do this, which is more disappointing. Mine was clean, but views aren't spectacular, and getting to/from the floor (more on that in the property heading) is sad due to the elevators. There are no larger or corner rooms that make any difference. The x03 rooms are doubles / accessible, I believe (this is from memory), but the extra space is taken by the extra bed / floor space to access it.

Property: Inside: Fresh and new, nicely decorated. Elevators - there are four, to service a 36 floor property. (37 if you count the basement where the business center is located). To add problems to the elevator, they cordon one off to get patrons up to the 36th floor bar, so that takes elevator capacity down to 3 in the evenings. Bad idea there.

Location: Convenient: I guess it depends on what you're defining as convenient. It's at the corner of 9th and 40th. It's on the south side of the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Most of the time I would walk east up to 8th to the subway entrance. A few times I wandered up and down 9th looking for food. The pizza place at the corner of 9th/40th is not bad, but the $1 slice is only for plain cheese, be forewarned. I guess the biggest thing to me was walking up the street one morning on my way to work, from the hotel, and walking by a long line of some rather rough looking individuals. Turns out the hotel is on the same block as a NYPD Parole office, where parolees have to line up to check in with their Parole Officers. Granted, they're on their best behavior, but it's a little unnerving the first time you realize what they're there for.

Food: Breakfast buffet was fine, had all the usual stuff you'd expect from a DT breakfast buffet. They used that same restaurant space in the evening but I didn't try that so can't review it. They do have a bar on 36... I haven't tried it out yet.

Staff: Very welcoming and accommodating. They know they have challenges and are working on them. Not sure what they can do about the elevators, because that's a bad situation there. All in all, good staff.

Summary: It will do in a pinch but not my first choice. If they could stop dedicating the 4th elevator car to the 36th floor bar in the evenings that might help. Or maybe make 1-2 go to the 18th floor only, and 3-4 go 19-36 floors only. Something.
orbitmic and flockavelliFT like this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:45 pm

Just booked a stay for October. The rate was almost 40% less vs other Hilton properties. Only 2 nights so hopefully it wont be too bad as a Diamond.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 4:40 am

Completing my stay here and it's not a great hotel. Rooms are very worn and already falling apart after a few months (furniture is chipped, shower door handle fell off, etc.). Very small and noisy rooms with cheap built and designed layouts.

Service is poor too. At checkin was told no cookies available (...) and that I could pickup my breakfast coupons the next morning. Asked why I couldn't just get them now and the lady jut shrugged and said come back. Line in the morning was crazy so we just ended
up going out to eat the first night. Complained to front desk later in the day and was told there was nothing they could do. Will follow up on that one later. Already reviewed but elevators are SLOW! And they take one out of guest use and only for rooftop at night.

Wifi didn't work and hotel is aware but was told just to use the att wifi login with a code provided, but they were not able to get premium internet working.

Positives: location is good, rates are cheap.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
ok booked two nights at start of November and now a bit worried by the poor reviews! I see the restaurant seems to have closed down, is the diamond breakfast situation impacted?? Any room tip, like any side with nicer views? thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 12:58 pm

Just had a stay this past Monday as the entire New York City's hotel availability was down to near nil. Fortunately, I was able to secure a reasonable rate for a night in the city.

In general, most of the folks' comments related to the room is accurate. It is small. I stayed at Hilton Time Square the week prior and the room size was at least twice of the Doubletree at this location. Beyond that, everything is pretty much standard as far as check-in, bag of water, cookies, and breakfast voucher for Diamond member. Room furniture looked like it came from IKEA, but at least it looked new.

Elevator is indeed slow in the morning. I was glad that I didn't accept a higher floor upgrade due my requirement for a king size bed (stayed @ 15th).

Other than that, this stay served my need although it was about additional 7 minutes walk to the customer from my previous week's stay @ Hilton Time Square as I had to head to uptown.

l8r

-doc
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Just had a recent stay here and would avoid this property.

Hotel is across the street from Port Authority which is even sketchier in this environment as there are fewer tourists in the area in general.

Breakfast for Diamond members is a $15 credit for F&B which you can order to go. Be prepared to have random homeless people come into the hotel lobby and harass you for money.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
Just had a recent stay here and would avoid this property.

Hotel is across the street from Port Authority which is even sketchier in this environment as there are fewer tourists in the area in general.

Breakfast for Diamond members is a $15 credit for F&B which you can order to go. Be prepared to have random homeless people come into the hotel lobby and harass you for money.
Could you describe a little more of your recent experience? I have a stay booked here for next week. Was just going through the recent reviews on Google and Tripadvisor, they are horrible! People were saying there would be no towels, broken A/C, under staffed and long wait for the elevator?
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by gbdbld
Could you describe a little more of your recent experience? I have a stay booked here for next week. Was just going through the recent reviews on Google and Tripadvisor, they are horrible! People were saying there would be no towels, broken A/C, under staffed and long wait for the elevator?
AC was fine in my room (I think I used heat because it was still a bit chilly).

There were long waits for the elevators and people ignored social distancing and crammed in.

The location and price point has attracted a lot of guests you’d typically find at a sketchy motel. Our floor and the elevators often smelled strongly of weed.

FYI, I stayed one night and was glad that was it.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by BudgetJetsetter
AC was fine in my room (I think I used heat because it was still a bit chilly).

There were long waits for the elevators and people ignored social distancing and crammed in.

The location and price point has attracted a lot of guests you’d typically find at a sketchy motel. Our floor and the elevators often smelled strongly of weed.

FYI, I stayed one night and was glad that was it.
Yeah I booked a 2 night stay for 20k points per night. Will probably find another place to stay now. Thanks!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Have any Diamonds stayed here lately?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.