Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What is Hilton doing with DoubleTree?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Hilton doing with DoubleTree?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
How much difference is there between HGI and Doubletree.
Most HGIs are purpose-built, newer properties that reflect a rigorous standard. Most Doubletrees are random, older, often reflagged properties with few to no common elements (unless you count the cookie).

Doubletree is Hilton's "none of the above" brand. It's the column where they stick outlier or one-of-a-kind properties that are more than a Hampton Inn, less than a Hilton, too shabby or aged to be an HGI, etc.

There are superb Doubletrees in Europe (look at the former Mint properties in the UK, some of which are nicer than Conrads: modern, sleek, elegant, great service) and horrible ones in the US (the SFO Airport perimeter Doubletree is one of the saddest hotels you will ever see, inside or outside the Hilton empire: dated, musty, shabby).

Nobody knows what Doubletree is meant to stand for, not even Hilton.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:04 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I've stayed in Doubletree properties nicer than any Hilton, and I've stayed in Doubletree properties that were abysmal. Most are somewhere in between.

But for me, when I see "Doubletree" I say "double check." Double check the reviews, the photos. Then I can make a better decision.

Consistency is really the biggest problem with Hilton properties. HGI is about the only brand that really IS super consistent.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I like that they keep DT's unique when it is a unique location (San Antonio comes to mind). What I don't like is when they force a brand into a not-conducive mold, for example with Hampton Inns - I've been to a couple that were unique, old buildings (New Orleans on Carondelet, and Bradenton Florida downtown, for example), and these beautiful buildings are slapped with the same "summer in Americana" vignettes on every door, elevator and other surface that just don't have the right feel in those hotels.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by dll
But for me, when I see "Doubletree" I say "double check." Double check the reviews, the photos. Then I can make a better decision.

Consistency is really the biggest problem with Hilton properties. HGI is about the only brand that really IS super consistent.
I agree, Double Tree is Double Check. I've been to a few that are nice and/or unique, but others are stale cookie-cutter holdouts from decades ago.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by Bretmd
I am staying at the Bahia Mar right now! It is definitely the worst Doubletree I've stayed at, mainly because it's just in such poor condition. They are advertising renovations starting this fall (2017).
The rooms in the marina building have been renovated and aren't too bad. Just stay away from the old tower rooms.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Pre✓, Delta DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Mariott Plat, PC Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smmrfld
This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads...bottom line is DT is a hodgepodge.
What's changes is, as the OP said, Hilton is now building new DT hotels en masse.

My thoughts are that Hilton sees market opportunity within that sector of their portfolio.

I noticed a sign for a new one in Joplin, MO just this week. Speaking of DT, I stayed a a very nice DT on my way home from Joplin in Springfield, MO last night.

Last edited by KenTarmac; Apr 14, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
Yea I have noticed several "new" ones, which is what got me to thinking about what Hilton is trying to accomplish. New being brand new or a gut of a former building.

At the same time, in the USA, I feel like they have been taking some of the nicest DT's and turning them into Curio's. The Curio Waterstone in Boca Raton, FL comes to mind.

DoubleTree = Double Check is the best line I've heard for that brand.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have also heard "TroubleTree".
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by craz
a few things, many years ago Hilton purchased another chain (forget the name) which consisted of DT,ES and Hampton Inn. I take it they felt to keep those who stayed with those hotels Hil figured its best to keep each brand rather than confuse people by getting rid of a brand and also maybe some customers

Also a few years ago Hilton decided every "Hilton' had to have a lounge, those who for whatever reason werent willing to go along were switched to being a DT. Ive stayed at tons of DTs (Stateside) cant remember any of them having a lounge

I think the same can be said for Marriott vs Renaissance or Sheraton vs Westin. In Hiltons case I think they see Hilton as a step above DT
Promus was the acquired company that owned DT, Homewood, Hampton, and Embassy Suites. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prom...el_Corporation
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
I have been to many hotels of Hiltons Brand (although no Conrad or Waldorf). Minus the Hilton Paris Opera, honeslty, most of the hotels have crappy breakfast regardless of whether it is "hot and fresh" or not. I've had a few exceptions.

Completely agree, the frozen commissary prepared eggs reheated at H2 is the same as made to order eggs at Embassy Suites.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
One of the cleverist posts I ever saw on FT, and I forget who wrote it, said that the rules for being a DT are:

1. Be a hotel
2. Have cookies.

There are some great properties and there are some terrible properties and there's everything in between. At any other Hilton brand I have a general idea of what to expect. At Doubletree I have no idea. It could be a new construction built specifically to be a DT or a former God knows what. There could be a lounge, there could not be a lounge. Breakfast could be anything. The rooms could be anything. It's so, so odd.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by BearX220
Most HGIs are purpose-built, newer properties that reflect a rigorous standard. Most Doubletrees are random, older, often reflagged properties with few to no common elements (unless you count the cookie).

Doubletree is Hilton's "none of the above" brand. It's the column where they stick outlier or one-of-a-kind properties that are more than a Hampton Inn, less than a Hilton, too shabby or aged to be an HGI, etc.

There are superb Doubletrees in Europe (look at the former Mint properties in the UK, some of which are nicer than Conrads: modern, sleek, elegant, great service) and horrible ones in the US (the SFO Airport perimeter Doubletree is one of the saddest hotels you will ever see, inside or outside the Hilton empire: dated, musty, shabby).

Nobody knows what Doubletree is meant to stand for, not even Hilton.
There was a time when Doubletree was a better brand. It is pretty sad to see Hilton reflagging old painted over 70's Holiday Inns (Livermore, CA... and supposedly soon Chico, CA which is a Ramada now but supposedly renovating into a Doubletree), and previous limited service properties (various former Phoenix Inns in OR/WA) over to that flag. It was a bad sign when Hilton reflagged some Red Lions to Doubletree in the 00's and we see how that went; most of those properties got divested and few still have the Doubletree flag (some have actually flat out shut down).

I think one of their biggest mistakes was the "Doubletree BY Hilton" thing. They should have kept Doubletree as a stand alone. Some of those properties really bring down the Hilton name.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by storewanderer
There was a time when Doubletree was a better brand. It is pretty sad to see Hilton reflagging old painted over 70's Holiday Inns (Livermore, CA... and supposedly soon Chico, CA which is a Ramada now but supposedly renovating into a Doubletree), and previous limited service properties (various former Phoenix Inns in OR/WA) over to that flag. It was a bad sign when Hilton reflagged some Red Lions to Doubletree in the 00's and we see how that went; most of those properties got divested and few still have the Doubletree flag (some have actually flat out shut down).

I think one of their biggest mistakes was the "Doubletree BY Hilton" thing. They should have kept Doubletree as a stand alone. Some of those properties really bring down the Hilton name.
Some of the hotels more in particular the old Phoenix Inns the buildings were in horrible shape they simply painted over failed parts of the walls including tape!! No don't stay in a DT unless you can see it was one from birth
Old May 9, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - PLT Pro, United Premier PLT, HHonors - Diamond, National - Ex. Elite
DoubleTree

Originally Posted by technical_bob
Cannot speak to what they are intending, but I have also found DT properties to be bizarrely variable in quality. I have had a couple of great stays that felt like 4 and half stars, and a couple of places where I felt a bit short changed.

I think in the long run it will kill the brand, because people tend to base opinions on the worst experience, not the best.
Already killed it for me. Beginning about a year again started avoiding DT properties like the plague.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael El
Have you stayed at a Home2? It looks like Ikea threw up inside and the breakfast is no better than the corner gas station.
I'm staying at my first one later this summer. Not much choice: doing a long roadtrip, arriving for 1 night in Sioux Falls on a night when most hotels are $180-200. (Don't ask me what's actually going on in Sioux Falls to generate those rates...I have no idea.) H2S is 20k HH Points, so it seems like a good value for a roadtrip stop.

Maybe we'll just head to the fine cuisine of McD's (or whatever else is at our particular Interstate exit) for breakfast...

Originally Posted by TGarza
The breakfast options are not even comparable. Following your list my experience has been continental microwave items versus cooked to order breakfast at Embassy Suites.
Only problem: there's also a huge difference between a well-run Embassy and a poorly-run one. Some Embassies are completely *not* set up to handle breakfast crowds, whereas others do it quite well. I like the floorplan of an Embassy room, but I'm really skittish on booking them unless I've read enough reviews that suggest the breakfast process was not a complete circus.

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Doubletree European properties are generally a step above their Domestic counterparts -
Amsterdam/Madrid/Manchester.
Dublin has a nice one if you need it.

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Some of the hotels more in particular the old Phoenix Inns the buildings were in horrible shape they simply painted over failed parts of the walls including tape!! No don't stay in a DT unless you can see it was one from birth
LOL...I've stayed in a couple of those. One near PHX and one in Tempe. Obviously done by the same designer in the 1970s. If I could go back in time, I'd go back to that guy's childhood and convince him to go into something besides architecture.

There seems to be a new chapter in the DT story: they're building suburban ones that look *almost* like an HGI, just with the bar and a slightly-expanded evening menu of mostly frozen and/or processed foods. Stayed in one in Beaverton, OR a couple weeks ago. Very cookie-cutter feel...the first one I've been to that truly looked like an HGI from the outside, and was situated right near a mall like a lot of HGI's are. The whole thing felt very limited-service, even though technically I guess it offered everything that "regular" DT's do.

On the plus side, this particular DT was trying to do little extra things for Diamonds, such as a free drink each night and an extra goody bag beyond normal. (It obviously did not have a lounge.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.