Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paul00
Official link showing the maximum number of points needed to redeem a standard room award after the changes: http://pointsandmoney.hilton.com/

How will standard room rewards be affected by the changes?
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Our Points prices will also become more flexible. When demand and room rates are lower, Points prices will flex and go lower than before. As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Will I earn bonus points on the cash portion of Points & Money bookings?

If you book a Points & Money rate when the new functionality goes live later this month [Feb 2017], the money portion will qualify to earn Hilton Honors Base Points. You'll also qualify to earn Bonus Points through eligible promotions, including the 2K Every Day promotion (note: I posted this update in the promotion thread, as well).

Points & Money stays booked under the current system are subject to the current Terms & Conditions of the program - therefore, you would not be eligible to earn Points on the cash portion of the stay.
Although the HonorsRepresentative stated in Feb 2017 that 'you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing', in June 2017 the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room rewards at four properties were raised. Furthermore, the HonorsRepresentative stated that:

While we won’t be updating you for each and every shift going forward, we’re fully committed to delivering the best value to our members, and will carefully consider any adjustments for Hilton Honors properties.
List of properties which have seen increases in the maximum number of points needed to redeem standard room awards since the changes:
  • Hampton Inn closest to Universal Orlando, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to Cat 4 (max 30,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Hangzhou East, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Jiaxing, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Wuhu, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Shenzhen Longhua, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Doubletree by Hilton Xiamen-Haicang, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Fuzhou Cangshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Suzhou, China: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ningbo, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago/Hoffman Estates, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Lincoln, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Las Vegas Airport, US: Cat 3 (max 20,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Ningbo Beilun, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Shenzhen Bao'an, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Dandong, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Krakow, Poland, Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn and Suites Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Oxford/Anniston, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hilton Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Conrad Macao Cotai Central: Cat 5 (max 40,000 points) to Cat 6 (max 50,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn LaGrange near Callaway Gardens, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Cartersville, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton Inn Fall River/Westport, US: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to Cat 3 (max 20,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Minsk City Centre, Belarus: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Ningbo - Chunxiao, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Foshan, China: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Corniche, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Alexandria Green Plaza, Egypt: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Melaka, Malaysia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Swinoujscie, Poland: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 15,000 points
  • Hampton by Hilton Nizhny Novgorod, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hampton by Hilton Samara, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Ulyanovsk, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • Hilton Garden Inn Volgograd, Russia: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Trabzon (previously Hilton Garden Inn Trabzon), Turkey: Cat 2 (max 10,000 points) to max 25,000 points
  • Hilton Salalah Resort, Oman: Cat 1 (max 5,000 points) to Cat 2 (max 10,000 points)
Print Wikipost

Announcing Four New Hilton Honors Perks

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: HH D
On my previouse holiday trip I was able to book 3 different properties more or less last minute at 10000 points (in New Mexico you can!), while the nightly rate was circa $120. Under the new scheme, would my rate still be 10000, with the ability to pay a part in cash - or would it be closer to 30000 points?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flyer4512
I certainly feel enhanced.

David
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by cjd
Lauren, another point I would like to make is that you state you are listening to your members in this forum. As you are making changes to the Award system, is it unreasonable to ask that you abolish the rule whereby a combination of a paid stay and an Award stay is counted as an Award stay and no points given. Similarly Points and money rates do not get Honors points. The rule has no logic to it and there have been many complaints about it here on Flyertalk. Same applies if you book 2 rooms, one paid and one Award - no points given. The rule discourages members from combining paid and Award stays. Now that you are allowing members to make flexible payments with points, it would also be good to know that Honors points will be awarded on the paid part of the reservation.
I realize that is the official rule of the 2 stay scenarios you mention but I have always had the paid portion of the stay post with points as a paid stay. Does anyone have stays post with no points for the paid nights in conjunction with award stays as mentioned above?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Lauren said the maximum amount of points for the hotels won't be increasing. Often times, the amount of points required in low season are ridiculously high given the cash rate. For example in New York City, it is nuts that rooms in the winter time cost 60,000 points when the cash rates are $150.00. If the max rate is set it will help in high seasons, while giving more flexibility to go lower when hotels are in slow times than the current structure does. Also, redemptions will continue to be valuable on the high end properties with a 95,000 cap. Also, just like if cash rates drop, you now may be able to snag even better redemption rates by cancelling the room and rebooking it.

I also like the idea of transferring points between accounts for free. I can see myself giving family members hotel nights as presents with this feature. Also, it allows family members that have small points balances to not waste them by being able to combine them with mine.

My question would be if there are any changes/impact to premium room reward pricing, which can sometimes be a reasonable value but are often times completely out of whack when compared to standard rooms.
I sure hope you are right, but it also provides them with an easier way to stealthily (or fairly so) increase the points price over time. Already with some of the categories having ranges we were starting to see a move in that direction.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Well at least they only dropped the H from HHonors and didn't change the name to World of Honors with its highest elite status called GLOBALIST. You make a good point and the short answer is you don't need the old regular price because 99 % of the time it was way to high compared to the other 4 major hotel loyalty programs. I am trusting the new Honors program is taking point redemption cost for hotel nights in the correct direction to be a more valuable program to its millions of members.
I would like to hope you are right.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
No because the first H has always stood for Hilton.
Sorry I forgot the smiley face ()
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:53 pm

TERRIBLE awful news

Enter: DYNAMIC PRICING

Exit: ANY remaining value in the program

fml. btw Ben @ OMAAT is delusional

bite the pillow, you're about to be enhanced...
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.
Well, that's lovely that Hilton isn't increasing the maximum points cost of an award above 95,000. But the rest of it is more than a wee bit murky.

Take this, for example:
As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.
What exactly does that mean? One thing you can take to the bank: it does NOT mean that a property which is cat 7 today will forever have a maximum award price of 60,000 points. Even under the present rules, Hilton can (and does) periodically change the categories, and thus the award costs, for various properties.

I think the weasel words here are "[a]s we make this transition." In other words, initially you won't see any increases, but at some future date--and you can bet it will be sooner rather than later--properties will be free to charge whatever they like, unconstrained by program category labels.

I'd love to be proven wrong, so fire away.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:56 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Hmm. Sharing/transferring points between accounts for no fee is definitely a positive.

I'm not so sure about the new flexible points thing though.

Points & money rates, which are currently at fixed prices (for example, in the eurozone, 12000 points + 38 euros (sometimes 46 euros but I can't figure out the rule) instead of 30000 points, or 16000 points + 49 euros instead of 40000 points) are basically always a good deal compared to full points redemptions at the same hotel, except for cat1/2 hotels.

Currently on premium redemptions, you basically redeem for the non-member rate at 0.5 US cents per point (which varies with the exchange rate for non-USD hotels). And because it's the non-member rate, it's even worse than 0.5c.

I wonder if the new flexible points & money is going to just be the 0.5 US cent per point thing, or if it will still represent better value than full points redemptions

EDIT: according to OMaaT http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...ogram-changes/

the points & money will be a fixed rate of 1 point for 0.46 US cents off a cash rate. POOR

Last edited by :D!; Jan 31, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:04 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

Following up on some of the questions that I've seen come through...

Members will still achieve Hilton Honors status as before through stays, nights, or Hilton Honors Base Points. All Points & Money stays and nights will continue to count the same towards the achievement of Hilton Honors status. Also, Base Points are earned on the money portion spent on a stay.

Points & Money will be "always on" at any hotel with room availability, any time.

Slider will be available on Premium room redemptions as well, the way those rewards are priced will not change from today.

When Points & Money officially launches at the end of February, we'll be using the hotel's previous peak redemption price as the continued maximum threshold for redemptions. Tomorrow you will be able to see more with the Standard Reward Pricing Tool.

Thank you!
Lauren
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:11 pm

The problem with the pooling of points may possibly point to a points devaluation in the near future, since redemption will be "easier". E.g. using a few family member accounts to purchase 100% + 100% bonus points. Isn't this a loophole?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cjd
Lauren, another point I would like to make is that you state you are listening to your members in this forum. As you are making changes to the Award system, is it unreasonable to ask that you abolish the rule whereby a combination of a paid stay and an Award stay is counted as an Award stay and no points given. Similarly Points and money rates do not get Honors points. The rule has no logic to it and there have been many complaints about it here on Flyertalk. Same applies if you book 2 rooms, one paid and one Award - no points given. The rule discourages members from combining paid and Award stays. Now that you are allowing members to make flexible payments with points, it would also be good to know that Honors points will be awarded on the paid part of the reservation.
Ive been a diamond for several years, but dont think I have 250 nights....so I guess despite my loyalty to hilton (I dont travel a ton, but ALWAYS ALWAYS stay at hampton/hgi/etc) will not really do much for me. But I can only work with what I have.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

Also, Base Points are earned on the money portion spent on a stay.

Thank you!
Lauren
This is excellent news! Thanks for clarifying.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:17 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by nlkm9
Ive been a diamond for several years, but dont think I have 250 nights....so I guess despite my loyalty to hilton (I dont travel a ton, but ALWAYS ALWAYS stay at hampton/hgi/etc) will not really do much for me. But I can only work with what I have.
Right, but you aren't losing out in any way, you now have an additional easier opportunity to maintain your status when you do get to 250 nights.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:22 pm

Is there an easy way to see our lifetime nights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.