Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Garden Inn Hong Kong Mongkok {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by OriginalName
Here's to hoping availability pre-March is released too!
They've gone back to the December 2016 opening language on the website (no mention of March 2017):

This hotel will soon be joining the Hilton Worldwide Portfolio of Brands but is not yet accepting reservations. It is scheduled to open in December 2016.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Just be advised that the ferry terminal at HKG (airport) is on the port side. Thus, unless you have a valid departing plane ticket, I doubt that you can take the ferry from Macau to HKG (airport).

Originally Posted by ttyl
Thanks all for the valuable feedback. Although I did get a few mixed messages, I think I will go with the following.

• I really wanted to visit Macau, at least to cross it out my to visit list. I think I can squeeze it in, when I first get to HKG early morning. I can head to Macau, visit the place for the day, and later at night travel back to HKG airport to pick up luggage, and then on to Hong Kong hotel. It might be tiresome, but I heard that there are quite a few transportation options between Macau-HKG airport- Hong Kong. Will have to think about luggage, but hopefully, there are some services at HKG airport.
  • With regards to Conrad vs HGI, well, it was really about saving some points for the Singapore trip (I would max out points if I take Conrad vs HGI). Nevertheless, since it will be our first time in HKG, and would like it to be a unique experience, then I will probably go with Conrad. Hopefully, I can still find a luxury hotel in Singapore that's not overly expensive.
Thanks again
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I really wanted to visit Macau, at least to cross it out my to visit list. I think I can squeeze it in, when I first get to HKG early morning. I can head to Macau, visit the place for the day, and later at night travel back to HKG airport to pick up luggage, and then on to Hong Kong hotel.
That's about the worst possible day-of-arrival plan I can imagine.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lax2010
Just be advised that the ferry terminal at HKG (airport) is on the port side. Thus, unless you have a valid departing plane ticket, I doubt that you can take the ferry from Macau to HKG (airport).
This is correct. When you arrive at HKG airport, you have the choice of taking the ferry to Macau (you do not go through Hong Kong immigration and enter Hong Kong, instead your entry is into Macau), or going through immigration and entering Hong Kong. If you enter Hong Kong when your flight arrives, you will not be able to take the ferry from Hong Kong airport to Macau - you will have to go into the city and take it from there. So with your plan, you will have to pick up your luggage in Macau (the ferry company will obtain it directly from the airline, you will not see it until you reach Macau), find a place to store it in Macau, and then carry it back to HKG.

To board the ferry in Macau to the HKG airport, you must have a same day boarding pass for a flight departing from HKG.

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's about the worst possible day-of-arrival plan I can imagine.
I agree. Macau is a very nice place to visit, but a day trip is not enough time. Come back some other time when you can spend at least a couple of nights there. You will have lots to do in Hong Kong, go ahead and spend the five nights there and enjoy it.

... since it will be our first time in HKG, and would like it to be a unique experience, then I will probably go with Conrad.
You'll have a unique experience either way - Hong Kong is a great city to visit. If I was trying to conserve points, I'd go with the HGI in Mongkok. You should try to find out the HGI room size though if you do this, sometimes Hong Kong hotel rooms are small.

Last edited by jbeckett; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:20 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by lax2010
Boarding requirements for HKG bound ferries from Macau:

https://www.turbojet.com.hk/en/airpo...g-airport.aspx
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JRV62
If not would you pick the HGI Kowloon or the DT Shenzhen Longhua? Which of those 2 properties is easier to navigate from?
Don't stay (don't even think about staying!) in Shenzhen if you want to visit Hong Kong. You will spend a lot of time in immigration lines and transport between the cities. China immigration is very similar to U.S. immigration - the lines can be atrocious. At HGI Kowloon, you'll be in a very good location.

Originally Posted by JRV62
We are staying at the Conrad in Singapore and the DT in Beijing so it doesn't make much difference with the luxury issue but if it is closer to transportation and sightseeing at the Conrad I'll probably book it.
Conrad or HGI location are both good with respect to sightseeing. There is more that you will be interested in within walking distance from Conrad, but the public transportation is cheap, frequent, and easy to use, albeit crowded.

Last edited by jbeckett; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:46 pm
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:26 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
If you really want to do Macau the day of arrival I suggest staying there (at the Conrad) the first night. If you can get a points and cash rate you will find an excellent value for your points (and cash) at that property. Probably one of the best redemptions you can get. The hotel check in is slow because they are so friendly and so interested in assisting the guest but once you get past that the rooms are wonderful and there is no shortage of places to see. Plus that way you can tell people you stayed in Macau.

They have a shuttle from the ferry terminals and you will be very well taken care of there. Then you can transport back to Hong Kong.

I was a bit of an idiot, spent my last night in Macau. I did not plan well and missed the connection between Macau and the Hong Kong airport and the next one did not give me enough time to get there. For some reason it seemed there was a 4 hour delay between them. I am not sure if I had the wrong provider or what. So I ended up having to ferry back from Macau to downtown Hong Kong, checked in luggage at one of the airport express subway stations in downtown Hong Kong, then took that to get back to the airport. Immigration in Macau and Hong Kong is simple, silent, and efficient, luckily. So make sure you review schedules before you go. However the experience was more than trying and a little stressful. It was a fourish or so hour span between leaving the Conrad and arriving to the HKG Airport.

I would not try to ferry HKG Airport-Macau back to downtown Hong Kong on day one of the trip but that is just me. That is just too much. I love 16 hour days on the go when I travel but that is really too much.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks all for the valuable feedback. Although I did get a few mixed messages, I think I will go with the following.

• I really wanted to visit Macau, at least to cross it out my to visit list. I think I can squeeze it in, when I first get to HKG early morning. I can head to Macau, visit the place for the day, and later at night travel back to HKG airport to pick up luggage, and then on to Hong Kong hotel. It might be tiresome, but I heard that there are quite a few transportation options between Macau-HKG airport- Hong Kong. Will have to think about luggage, but hopefully, there are some services at HKG airport.
  • With regards to Conrad vs HGI, well, it was really about saving some points for the Singapore trip (I would max out points if I take Conrad vs HGI). Nevertheless, since it will be our first time in HKG, and would like it to be a unique experience, then I will probably go with Conrad. Hopefully, I can still find a luxury hotel in Singapore that's not overly expensive.
Thanks again
That is really not a great idea, as mentioned by everyone upthread when they talk about the fact that the HKG ferry pier is airside, not landside.

I would again stress that if you want a luxury hotel experience, Conrad Macao would save you points. Your proposal makes more sense as a 1-2 day stay in Macau rather than a day trip full of waiting for immigration and storing luggage plus schlepping it back to Hong Kong after the day trip.

Singapore is not a particularly cheap hotel market, much like Hong Kong. A not expensive luxury hotel in that market is something of an oxymoron compared to, say, Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur. It is possible to find good, not terribly expensive value in the Singapore market, but I wouldn't call it luxury.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Immigration in Macau and Hong Kong is simple, silent, and efficient
Mostly agree with your post, but this was not my experience. In both directions, immigration was chaotic and very slow. The facilities in Macau are third-world and the concept of "queue" is much weaker than in Hong Kong.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mostly agree with your post, but this was not my experience. In both directions, immigration was chaotic and very slow. The facilities in Macau are third-world
I wouldn't say they are nice and shiny, myself, and yeah, it can get backed up at times.

All told, I still think a day trip where you're forced to take your luggage to Macau (because the ferry pier is behind immigration) and come back for it to lug it to Hong Kong is a pretty terrible idea. It would work better to drop it off in Hong Kong at the hotel and THEN head over, if one must do Macau as a day trip (still think an overnight or two is even still a better idea).
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by storewanderer
I think you will be well taken care of at either property.
Not to be obnoxious- but what is the basis for the confidence in the yet as unopened HGI? Who knows how big (read small) the rooms will be, or what sort of teething pains the property might experience?
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Who knows how big (read small) the rooms will be
Website says 22-26 sqm. 22 is pretty much a closet with a bed. Conrad rooms are over 40 sqm.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

22 is pretty much a closet with a bed.
No, I've stayed in those rooms in Hong Kong Kowloon-side (hey, it was a $100 room for two nights, didn't have to stay in Chungking Mansions either, and all I wanted was a shower and crash space). Try more like 10 sqm or so.

An HGI of that size is veritable luxury by comparison.

(Like I said, I'm cheap.)

This all depends on OP's attitude and what is acceptable/not acceptable for OP and the wife. I suggest that if the backup plan for the trip is "a luxury hotel in Singapore that's not overly expensive" after blowing all the HHonors points at Conrad Hong Kong, there needs to be some rethinking of this plan. Singapore is not particularly the place to find an inexpensive, centrally located four or five star any more than Hong Kong is. It's probably going to be "well, do you want the HGI/HIX in Hong Kong, or Singapore, and the Conrad in the other city, because you likely can't afford cash for one of them and you'll blow all the points on the other?"

(Ironically, "not overly expensive luxury hotel" is a lot more likely in Macau... but OP wants a day trip only.)
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No, I've stayed in those rooms in Hong Kong Kowloon-side (hey, it was a $100 room for two nights, didn't have to stay in Chungking Mansions either, and all I wanted was a shower and crash space). Try more like 10 sqm or so.

An HGI of that size is veritable luxury by comparison.
Ouch. I get claustrophobic somewhere around 25 sqm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I suggest that if the backup plan for the trip is "a luxury hotel in Singapore that's not overly expensive" after blowing all the HHonors points at Conrad Hong Kong, there needs to be some rethinking of this plan. Singapore is not particularly the place to find an inexpensive, centrally located four or five star any more than Hong Kong is. It's probably going to be "well, do you want the HGI/HIX in Hong Kong, or Singapore, and the Conrad in the other city, because you likely can't afford cash for one of them and you'll blow all the points on the other?"
Agreed. HKG is slightly more expensive, but neither is a cheap city for luxury hotels.

Don't know if OP has any other points currencies, such as Chase UR, but HR TST can be a good deal on points and GH Singapore a good deal on P+C.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed. HKG is slightly more expensive, but neither is a cheap city for luxury hotels.
Yeah, if this is really "show the wife a good time in Asian cities in luxury hotels", HK or Singapore are not places where money goes far.

Don't know if OP has any other points currencies, such as Chase UR, but HR TST can be a good deal on points and GH Singapore a good deal on P+C.
I was thinking boutique hotels might be an option in both cities, but there might be some come-down from a luxury full service hotel. The Shutterwhale has some interesting Singapore options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.