Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Tallinn Park {EST}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:35 pm

Also, why would you cancel the reservation rather than just insist on getting it sorted?

You had a contract for the room at the booked price. You could have kept them to that. By cancelling you have thrown that away.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Sketchy Eastern European countries? One hotel in one city does something you don't like and half an entire continent is now sketchy.

As someone whose spouse is from a "sketchy Eastern European country" I find your post quite offensive.

I hope your trip results in you get infested with sketchy Eastern European bugs. Oh, and don't drink the water as it too is sketchy. And the food.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Likely a system glitch, similar to what is seen here, rather than a red-phone call from the Kremlin:

Hilton Cash & Points: All Points rate have cash component?!?! ...

So no need to adjust the tin foil hat.
Yep. And Tallinn of all places doesn't exactly flash into my mind when the term "sketchy Eastern European countries" is used.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Estonia isn't in the least bit sketchy, so maybe you want to reevaluate your assumptions and generalise a little less.

Hilton Tallinn would be one of the first hotels on my list for a visit to Estonia, given its excellent reputation.
Same here. But I fail to see how Hilton CS was able to determine who made the change (it would probably just show a time stamp and a non-descript ID code in the rerservation's history). Moreover, why would a night auditor go into a reservation a month out and change it at the beginning of his/her shift?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Ugh those Estonian night auditors! Don't get me started about the Latvians and Lithuanians!

I also found a thread on Flyertalk posted in 1969 about this very issue for my stay at the Hilton in Helsinki.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:39 pm

As others have mentioned, Estonia is not in the least bit 'sketchy'. And it's not even in Eastern Europe, it's recognised as part of Northern Europe by the UN.

Perhaps it's best you adjust your attitude and educate yourself, otherwise you're best cancelling your entire trip.

I doubt this was an intentional act, although the initial hotel response doesn't sound the best. You should follow this up with the GM and reinstate the booking at the original rate.

This has actually happened to me with an upcoming stay in New York at the Edition....so it can happen anywhere.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We had 2 consecutive nights stay at Hilton Tallinn in May. It was a very pleasant stay on every aspect, up till checking out - what happened was a trainee at the executive lounge did not know how to release a preauthorization (incidental guarantee) - instead she put it thru, and told me to get my receipt at downstairs front desk as that was where "they print the invoice."

Needless to say front desk was equally puzzled as me and they called up - a supervisor was called and mistake was found. Supervisor came down to the lobby to apologize the mistake, said it should never happen... promptly gave me a slip of the "reversal" of the billing.

After all said and done, my card saw a pending charge and a pending credit - it washed out, all with the same transaction date. At the end the hotel agreed to give 5K courtesy points as an apology for causing the trouble (in order to sort it out we missed our bus to the ferry terminal - the bus only runs once every 28 min...)

Estonia is NOT sketchy. For the OP if he has such notion, he should then completely avoid places like Prague or Budapest - as those are more "Eastern Europe" than Estonia which really is The Baltic, and of course Northern Europe.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:28 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
found the reservation had been changed to 90K points and 525 Euros.
That's probably how much Hilton is paying them.

Yes, the hotel's "night auditor" had changed the reservation at 11:15 at night. But no explanation of why.
Probably because they upgraded you and points bookings made before April 2017 suffer from the buggy IT of Hilton Corporate (located in the sketchy country called the USA).

I had the same issue with a points booking at Doubletree Bratislava, but I didn't contact anybody about it, nor did I mention anything at check-in, and I was not asked to pay anything except the city tax which was clearly detailed on my original booking. I suspect the same thing would have happened to you if you didn't do anything.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
I suspect franchises are very common with hotels. Some chains may own and/or operate the property, but I suspect many are not. Some chains may have a strong control over franchises. Some properties will snap to when someone from corporate calls, some don't care. Most chains will have a regional director to oversee the properties, but my guess is they won't deal with the FDCs.

There is always the fear when travelling that someone will try to take advantage of those less informed. If I haven't been there before, I will ask someone at the hotel what to expect and what to watch out for. I was in Chile and was approached in the airport by someone about a ride to the airport. A couple of military types came over and shooed him away telling me all legitimate taxis were outside (as I expected).
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:19 am

Dear valued guest,

thank you for staying with us and taking the time to provide us with a feedback. We are happy that you enjoyed the stay however I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused during check out. If you could please be so kind and provide me with your phone number and/or email address so i can get in touch with you separatly.

Thank you and Regards,
Christoph Puschmann
Front Office Manager

Originally Posted by Happy
We had 2 consecutive nights stay at Hilton Tallinn in May. It was a very pleasant stay on every aspect, up till checking out - what happened was a trainee at the executive lounge did not know how to release a preauthorization (incidental guarantee) - instead she put it thru, and told me to get my receipt at downstairs front desk as that was where "they print the invoice."

Needless to say front desk was equally puzzled as me and they called up - a supervisor was called and mistake was found. Supervisor came down to the lobby to apologize the mistake, said it should never happen... promptly gave me a slip of the "reversal" of the billing.

After all said and done, my card saw a pending charge and a pending credit - it washed out, all with the same transaction date. At the end the hotel agreed to give 5K courtesy points as an apology for causing the trouble (in order to sort it out we missed our bus to the ferry terminal - the bus only runs once every 28 min...)

Estonia is NOT sketchy. For the OP if he has such notion, he should then completely avoid places like Prague or Budapest - as those are more "Eastern Europe" than Estonia which really is The Baltic, and of course Northern Europe.
Dear Mr Hanson,
Thank you for below feedback. Could you please be so kind and provide me with your phone number or email address on [email protected] as i would like to follow on below and have certain question to clarify what happened. Thank you Christoph Puschmann

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Be careful with Eastern European Hiltons

Yes I did try to look up a FT thread that pertains to this, and looked thru several pages of thread titles, including threads that were last posted on in 1969, but didn't find one that seemed to fit.

Last Feb. I booked a 3 night stay at the Hilton Tallinn, Estonia, for a month from now on points. 90K points 3 nights. Logged onto our HHonors website this morning, and found the reservation had been changed to 90K points and 525 Euros. HHonors customer service was very nice, had her Supervisor call the hotel, and found out:

Yes, the hotel's "night auditor" had changed the reservation at 11:15 at night. But no explanation of why. Hotel CSR would not do anything about it. HH Supervisor asked for the hotel Supervisor, and was only told "he's in a meeting, you will have to email him". Yeah, right, he's going to be in that meeting all week I suppose. Cancelled the reservation of course, but the King Bed room didn't go back into inventory, at least not yet, so had to rebook as a 2 double bed room.

So if you are going to sketchy Eastern European countries, check your reservations online to make sure the "night auditor" hasn't tried to scam you. And make sure you have the HH International phone number with you just in case they do it last minute.
You could provide me with your contact details on [email protected]

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 12, 2017 at 7:32 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by keitherson
Ugh those Estonian night auditors! Don't get me started about the Latvians and Lithuanians!
Well, Estonia is 25% ethnic Russian. So, the night auditor could have been a Gopnik-- the sketchiest kind of eastern European.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Looking forward to staying here in early 2018. Seen conflicting updates - - breakfast for Diamonds - - lounge and restaurant, or lounge-only?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Abidjan
Looking forward to staying here in early 2018. Seen conflicting updates - - breakfast for Diamonds - - lounge and restaurant, or lounge-only?
I was there back in April of this year for two nights, Abidjan.

The answer is: your choice of both. I had breakfast in the executive lounge on the first morning; and breakfast in the restaurant the next morning.

Both were buffet style; and both were very good to excellent.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Excellent news, much appreciated Canarsie!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:27 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I had a stay last week and one this week (well I am in my room as I type this), despite high occupancy they upgraded me from a King room to a corner suite and granted a late check-out. The evening spread in the lounge was good, and the breakfast still available in the Able Butcher for Gold and Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.