Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION Hilton Honors Hotels near Chicago, Illinois USA {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:43 am

I have a choice of the Chicago Hilton, PH and the Conrad —.just for a night. Which one? (Also, are there any non-Hilton properties that are better, but not too much more expensive, in that area)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CSingh
I have a choice of the Chicago Hilton, PH and the Conrad —.just for a night. Which one? (Also, are there any non-Hilton properties that are better, but not too much more expensive, in that area)?

Thanks!
I'd go with the conrad. A non hilton hotel I like is the hard rock or parc 71.

if you want a doubletree property I really like the Wit
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'd go with the conrad. A non hilton hotel I like is the hard rock or parc 71.

if you want a doubletree property I really like the Wit
How do the Chicago Hilton and the Conrad compare? (I know that Conrad is a higher chain than Hilton, at least at most places) I'm getting a really good deal at the Hilton (not cost wise: the institution for which I'm visiting Chicago "recommends" and gives some perks if one stays at the Hilton).
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CSingh
How do the Chicago Hilton and the Conrad compare? (I know that Conrad is a higher chain than Hilton, at least at most places) I'm getting a really good deal at the Hilton (not cost wise: the institution for which I'm visiting Chicago "recommends" and gives some perks if one stays at the Hilton).
The conrad is probably going to cost (maybe significantly) more but if you are being reimbursed by your employer or using points, I would definately do the conrad.

The hilton, like the palmer house, is an older hotel. I hate the location of the Hilton and unless you are willing to take a cab, the walk probably won't be fun in the winter. The conrad is close to michigan avenue shopping and dining and near grand street dining and the grand street red line stop. The palmer house is near every L stop (every line but the blue is right outside the doors of the hotel and blue is only a couple blocks away) and near Macy's and theater.

I would only stay at the Hilton towers if it is the host hotel for a convention being held there. The drake is a property I have never stayed at but may be worth checking out as well.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
If all goes well with United out of Heathrow! i should be into Chicago on Christmas Day for 2 nights. Looking for a recommended property using free night certs.

Only properties i have stayed in Chicago were The Drake (when it was a free bar in the lounge)! and the Sheraton next to the river.

I have Priority Clubs certs to use to so an IC hotel an option but free Internet with Hilton.

Hilton Diamond and PC Platinum.

Any recommendations?

cheers

Alan
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wudy15
If all goes well with United out of Heathrow! i should be into Chicago on Christmas Day for 2 nights. Looking for a recommended property using free night certs.

Only properties i have stayed in Chicago were The Drake (when it was a free bar in the lounge)! and the Sheraton next to the river.

I have Priority Clubs certs to use to so an IC hotel an option but free Internet with Hilton.

Hilton Diamond and PC Platinum.

Any recommendations?

cheers

Alan
The Conrad is a nice hotel and near shopping and restaraunts. If you want a botique type hotel that is pretty new, I really like the Wit, right next to the L, and the breakfast is very good and served late on weekends and you can order off the brunch menu as well with the vouchers. I really like the Wit because the fitness center is 24/7.

If you aren't going to have a car, I would avoid the Chicago Hilton, the weather probably won't be that good for walking and it's a pretty good walk to the L and I don't think there is much in the way of shopping and dining nearby compared to the Grand street area hilton properties.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
The Chicago Hilton isn't in the best location, depending on what you want to do outside the hotel. And the 4 or 5 times I've stayed there as a Diamond I've never gotten good upgrades. Every time I've stayed at The Palmer House I've gotten a very big suite. And I like the location. Just my two cents. The Wit is also very cool with one of the hottest rooftop bars in the city.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chicago Wine Geek
The Chicago Hilton isn't in the best location, depending on what you want to do outside the hotel. And the 4 or 5 times I've stayed there as a Diamond I've never gotten good upgrades. Every time I've stayed at The Palmer House I've gotten a very big suite. And I like the location. Just my two cents. The Wit is also very cool with one of the hottest rooftop bars in the city.
Everytime I have stayed at the Palmer house as a diamond I have gotten a good upgrade. If you book their smallest room and for some reason don't get an upgrade though it can a nightmare. Once I was there for just one night for new years eve and booked the cheapest room and they were sold out (*I was only silver then but don't think it would have mattered if I was diamond) and it had a double bed and a dresser and there was barely enough room to turn around in that room.

Sometimes noise can be a pain at the PH just depends on where your room is (I have also heard others complain about noise at the WIT but I have never had that problem). With PH one thing that can be a pain is breakfast if you aren't on the 23rd floor. You have to take the elevator down to I believe 7 and then get in another bank and go to 23. On weekends the place is usually filled with families and it can be hard to find a table for breakfast so I would take the tray your ice bucket is on up with you to carry your breakfast on back to your room. It is a great location being by all the subways and the fitness center is fantastic at palmer house.

Something to consider as well with your chicago stay is how late of a check out you need on your date of departure. WIT will give you until 2. Palmer house always will give me a 4 p.m. checkout and will allow me lounge access after 4 if I need it as well as access to the fitness center to shower so if your flight out is really late, PH could be your best bet.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:54 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aglp2k
I am HHonors Gold. Any feedback on these hotels is appreciated. Good/Bad. Location, Restaurants etc.

Hilton Lisle/Naperville
3003 Corporate West Drive
Lisle, Illinois,60532
Just had a stay at the Hilton Lisle.

As a diamond was given a 6th floor club level room, I'm not sure why this level was special as the hotel is an 8 floor hotel, I would have had the club level on the top floor but oh well. On the 6th floor is also a PC & printer to use (free). We were also given a single free drink coupon (from the bar or restaurant Algauers), & two breakfast buffet coupons.

Room was a simple king bed with queen pull out sleeper sofa. When the person in the room next to us would use the water, there was a loud water in pipes sound but overall the room was pretty quiet even though facing the highway (I-88).

The hotel was hosting both a couple young boys hockey teams as well as a wedding. The hotel had posted very prominently that Quiet time was from 11pm until 7am. Very pleased that they did this as the hotel was quiet.

We were attending a birthday party at a bar called Mullens which is less than 1/4 mile away from the hotel. The hotel shuttle will drop one off for free (as well as pickup if before 10:30pm when the shuttle stops running). The shuttle driver gave us a $10 coupon good for a free appitizer, Kobe beef slider burgers were only $2.50 each so Mrs Sweet Willie & I split 4 sliders for free and a cobb salad. Quite a decent meal.

Breakfast buffet in the morning consisted of pancakes, biscuits & gravy, sausage links & bacon, scrambled eggs, egg station where one could get eggs cooked to order, fresh fruit, assorted breads and a couple pastries/muffins.

Parking is free.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
Stayed in Oakbrook at Hilton Suites for a meeting. Nothing special, but not bad either. I was "upgraded" as Diamond to a Conference Room Suite. Actually quite large and nice to have a large conference table (size of a dining room table) to spread out and work on. The room was nice (somehat on the order of an Embassy Suites, but larger due to the conference room attached to the living room. Across a few parking lots (about 5 min walk) is a J. Alexander's, where I ate the one night that I did not have a business dinner. It was a standard JA's and hard to go wrong with. I did get a coupon for breakfast in the AM, but had early morning meeting each day, so I never used it. The fitness center was small, but acceptable (easy to do cardio with an elliptical or treadmill). The parking was free as well. All in all, my exerience here was good and I would stay here again...

On a side note, I do not understand what Hilton is doing with a Hilton Suites brand. These hotels should really become Embassy Suites and Hilton should remain as their standard business class hotel. I have stayed at Hilton Suites in both Boca Raton and Oakbrook. Both are very Embassy Suites esque. Why not just make them ES? Just my opinion though...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Winecaptain
On a side note, I do not understand what Hilton is doing with a Hilton Suites brand. These hotels should really become Embassy Suites and Hilton should remain as their standard business class hotel. I have stayed at Hilton Suites in both Boca Raton and Oakbrook. Both are very Embassy Suites esque. Why not just make them ES? Just my opinion though...
I assume it's because ES gives free breakfast and happy hour, and they don't want to offer those at the properties.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 11:39 am
BCH

What I like about the Hilton Chicago is the sense of old-world grandeur and the reliably professional customer service. I have been there for a number of galas and special events, and they always do a terrific job.

On the other hand, there are parts of the property that need an upgrade. It doesn't seem to fit with the new Hilton palate.

Location-wise, it's actually quite convenient for museums, State Street shopping, Millenium Park, etc. Easily accessible by Red Line, buses, etc.

Originally Posted by Chicago Wine Geek
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:13 pm

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Recent stays at HS Downtown or Hilton Suites?

I found a couple good comments in this thread about the HS Downtown from last March. I'm checking to see if anyone has any recent comments about that property or the Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile. I have it narrowed down to those two (by price and location--I've stayed at the Wit and PH Hilton before, and they aren't my choices for this visit).

When I stayed at a Hilton Suites in Michigan last year, the rooms were nice suites; however, the hotel did not have an executive floor. I received full breakfast coupons and liked the room. Is that standard for Hilton Suites--no executive floor, and full breakfast coupons? I have Gold status.

Thanks for any information!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IrisT
I found a couple good comments in this thread about the HS Downtown from last March. I'm checking to see if anyone has any recent comments about that property or the Hilton Suites Chicago/Magnificent Mile. I have it narrowed down to those two (by price and location--I've stayed at the Wit and PH Hilton before, and they aren't my choices for this visit).

When I stayed at a Hilton Suites in Michigan last year, the rooms were nice suites; however, the hotel did not have an executive floor. I received full breakfast coupons and liked the room. Is that standard for Hilton Suites--no executive floor, and full breakfast coupons? I have Gold status.

Thanks for any information!
There are times I would rather have full breakfast coupons than the continental breakfast in the lounge. As a gold I wouldn't chose a property on if they had an exec floor, unless you are planning on resererving a room on that floor, since you won't have lounge access if they can't upgrade you to the exec level.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Chicago Midway / MDW Hilton hotels

I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has stayed at the MDW HGI or Hilton (Oak Lawn).

The Hilton looks preferable to me except that it's a little farther away from the airport. It says they offer scheduled shuttle service to/from the airport; however, sometimes when I've stayed at airport hotels that are not real close I end up waiting a long time for the shuttle bus. I'm trying to decide if the bit longer ride is worth choosing the Hilton over the HGI located in the Hotel Center Campus.

Thanks for any insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.