Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
HHonors Sign In (if the link has disappeared)

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/customer/login/index.htm
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec

Anybody else getting a CAPTCHA this morning trying to log in to HHonors? Of course, the website was still down afterword. But having the CAPCHA was a first for me. I'm totally okay with it though, since it makes it tougher to brute force passwords and login credentials.
jalves likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Gold, FB, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Anybody else getting a CAPTCHA this morning trying to log in to HHonors? Of course, the website was still down afterword. But having the CAPCHA was a first for me. I'm totally okay with it though, since it makes it tougher to brute force passwords and login credentials.
I noticed the same thing earlier today. It almost certainly has to do with the large number of reports of people having their HHonors account hacked, maybe this simply happened by an automatic system attempting to log in via the outdated and insecure 4 digit pincode system.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
I think I would rather have the option of using a longer pass-code instead of having to type in a random generated word.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:58 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I couldn't even get the sign-in page at the HHonors site, but the Hampton Inn site let me log in and indeed has a captcha. Took three refreshes before I got one that I could actually read.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:00 am

Oh my. This is truly awful. Hate these things.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Exp, IHG Plat, National EE, Sixt Plat
I'm getting the CAPTCHA too today. Agreed that it's likely a quick bandaid due to the recent reports of hacked accounts. I'd expect a better long term solution in the not too distant future (e.g. no more 4-digit PINs), but this is just an immediate fix.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Was able to log on to iPhone Hilton app just now without having to navigate the captcha gauntlet.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
This might be a stupid question, but why don't people just use a password instead of a PIN? I've used a password every since signing up for HH.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Yes, indeed - seeing it too.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I didn't mind that it was one simple three-digit number; I can't stand it when they ask for two, difficult to make out ones.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:02 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by skunker
This might be a stupid question, but why don't people just use a password instead of a PIN? I've used a password every since signing up for HH.
Because I believe you are forced to create a four-digit PIN even if you never want to use it. So a PIN or password will work.

The "bad guys" just figure out PIN's and don't bother with a password.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Is Hilton insane? Do they simply want people to stop using their website? Is some sort of a bot automatically logging into Hilton accounts a realistic threat? What could they do even if they did get access?

I can't imagine a customer-facing company with a more incompetent IT department.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Personally I have no problem with a captcha. What I am curious about is whether the new log-in page will finally "Remember Me"
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Stripe
Is Hilton insane? Do they simply want people to stop using their website? Is some sort of a bot automatically logging into Hilton accounts a realistic threat? What could they do even if they did get access
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...r-changed.html
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:46 pm

It's probably a temporary fix. My guess is they will remove pin based access soon enough.

Pins are simply too easy to crack compared to words...and most people choose the simplest pin of 0000 or 1234.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.