Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: davie355
HHonors Sign In (if the link has disappeared)

https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hh/customer/login/index.htm
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "CAPTCHA for logging in?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Hi everyone,

We did recently update our website to include a CAPTCHA system, a protective measure that will help authenticate your Hilton HHonors account.

This is a commonly used security measure across many industries and is meant to serve as an extra step to further secure your HHonors account.

Thanks!
Erin
I believe it is commonly used for creating a new account, but not commonly used for every single login. Actually I have only seen it on Hilton site for the first time (on every login) and it is more troublesome because the "remember me" never worked.

Is this going to be permanent or a temporary fix until a permanent solution could be found?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:40 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Need
I believe it is commonly used for creating a new account, but not commonly used for every single login. Actually I have only seen it on Hilton site for the first time (on every login) and it is more troublesome because the "remember me" never worked.

Is this going to be permanent or a temporary fix until a permanent solution could be found?
and I have never seen one that takes four tries. As a MINIMUM, I have to enter 3 and often 4 times.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by underpressure
and I have never seen one that takes four tries. As a MINIMUM, I have to enter 3 and often 4 times.
Is anyone else having a problem getting to see the Captcha part of the screen on Google Chrome? It just does not work. Works only on Internet Explorer (eeeeks!!!)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Is anyone else having a problem getting to see the Captcha part of the screen on Google Chrome? It just does not work. Works only on Internet Explorer (eeeeks!!!)
I have had no trouble with Firefox.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:05 am

This is absolutely true in my experience. I know that I am on the low end of the spectrum here, but I have at least 20 airline, hotel, and car rental loyalty accounts. Hilton is the only one that requires this at every log in.

Can anyone here name another loyalty program website that requires this at every log in versus just creating an account?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zachary
Can anyone here name another loyalty program website that requires this at every log in versus just creating an account?
China Eastern's Eastern Miles. But not someone you want to compare to... sorry company.

http://passport.ceair.com/cesso/logi...=1&local=en_US
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by zachary
This is absolutely true in my experience. I know that I am on the low end of the spectrum here, but I have at least 20 airline, hotel, and car rental loyalty accounts. Hilton is the only one that requires this at every log in.

Not just loyalty program website.. any financial institute website doesn't use it either. Usually if they want to be secured, they would ask to TXT the registered phone a code, and you input it back for the first time you use that particular computer to access the website. After that, it would ask if you want to remember this computer for future access.

That's why I thought CAPTCHA was a quick fix and a more permanent and secured method will be coming. But from Erin's post, it seems like this is permanent?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Are people really that upset about a slight inconvenience that vastly increases their account security?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Are people really that upset about a slight inconvenience that vastly increases their account security?
http://www.sitepoint.com/captcha-are...urity-measure/
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by underpressure
I've had it work first time every time.

It works fine with Safari.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Works fine on Chrome here...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Howste
Works fine on Chrome here...
I use Chrome and I find myself refreshing it a couple of times until I get something legible enough for me to log in.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
In Chrome, it just seems to stop and load forever.

I hit the F12 key (debug console) and see:

index.htm:326 The page at 'https://secure3.hilton.com/en/hi/customer/login/index.htm?WT.bid=Home,,,logged_out_view' was loaded over HTTPS, but is submitting data to an insecure location at 'http://www3.hilton.com/en_US/hi/search/keywordsearch/keywordsearch.htm': this content should also be submitted over HTTPS.

So - - what that means for the non-technical people among us, is they are loading the login screen over https (secure) but sending the data back to Hilton over regular plain old http (not secure). What the hell, Hilton!?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I'd never seen the capcha going directly to Hilton.com; however, when I followed a link from an event (for their special rate), the login page did require one.

Awardwallet is still updating Hhonors points correctly for me.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:44 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors

Hi there,

Thanks for your question! At this point, CAPTCHA is a long-term solution and has been implemented as an extra security measure for the safety of our members. I am collecting your feedback each day and passing along to my team so they are looped in on the user experience.

Thanks,
Erin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.