Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013 Changes to HH Reward Stays, new cat., more pts needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:48 pm

Last time diamonds got a free night certificate because of the devaluation.
I think it was for those holding more than 100k in their account.

And I wonder what IHG will offer us this time......
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:49 pm

Doesn't the 5th night free kinda make up for the rate increase in some cases?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
This really sucks. My favorite hotels for stays are the Trafalgar, the Bentley in Miami and the DT Times Square. The DT times square is cat 10, Bentley 9 and Trafalgar 8.

I use to get a great value out of my points from my Hilton credit cards. With these redemptions I may need to switch prefered credit cards.

The free internet and upgrades at SPG for Delta flyers is making me want to give SPG a shot for some stays.

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Also, if it hasn't been pointed out, the 5th night free may only be used four times per year.
Wow, I didn't that little sneaky piece of the fine print. The 1 "positive" incentive they give even has its drawback. Ridiculous.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Pointsloop
Doesn't the 5th night free kinda make up for the rate increase in some cases?
Only if you do off peak and need to stay 5 nights. With axon awards you already had 4th night free effectively
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by timmy83
This can't be true. Even if I don't make any modifications? That's lunacy if it is true, but I can hardly see this happening.
My reading of the FAQ is that you only get hit by the new rates for stays after 28 March 13 if you modify a booking made before then. The full text reads

When do the new changes become effective? What happens if I want to book a reward stay before they are effective? Can I make modifications to existing reservations after they become effective?

The new changes will become effective as of 12:01AM CST on Mar 28, 2013. Until this time, you can redeem Points for rewards stays at the current prices. You can book online, call +1-800-HHONORS (+1-800-446-6677, toll-free in the United States) or contact your local Hilton Reservations and Customer Care center. After this date, you can continue to make modifications; however, all standard room redemptions will follow the new standard room chart. Therefore, if the number of points changes from what was originally booked, up or down, the new point values will apply.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
snip...

Old cat/rate: Cat 7 - 50K points per night
New cat/rate: Cat 9 - 50K to 80K points per night

Will have to wait to see if it will be closer to 50K or 80K
The old rates for the Rome Hilton Cavalieri were 50,000; now with the new rates all months are 80,000 except for winter where it's 70,000. Somehow that doesn't seem honest. In other words, if the new hotel is priced at Cat 9, you would certainly expect SOME dates to be 50,000. But NO dates are 50K. So that makes Hilton's "high season rates" a lot worse than with Starwood (which has a cap on the number of nights hotels can charge "high season" rates). Hilton looks like their categories are way too broad, more like the way they price premium rooms--getting as much as they can out of you! Don't like this dynamic pricing at all!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:54 pm

HGI Times Square as an example...

Now...40,000 in October
Soon...80,000 in October...

Time to book any bookings...now!
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Seabilly
According to the FAQ, even if you already booked a reward stay, if this change affects it, you'll be charged the new rates.

Not happy as the first reward stay I have booked will jump by 40000 points for my stay in October.
No, this will happen only if you change an existing award booking after 28th March.

No change? Then the original booked rate applies:
When do the new changes become effective? What happens if I want to book a reward stay before they are effective? Can I make modifications to existing reservations after they become effective?

The new changes will become effective as of 12:01AM CST on Mar 28, 2013. Until this time, you can redeem Points for rewards stays at the current prices. You can book online, call +1-800-HHONORS (+1-800-446-6677, toll-free in the United States) or contact your local Hilton Reservations and Customer Care center. After this date, you can continue to make modifications; however, all standard room redemptions will follow the new standard room chart. Therefore, if the number of points changes from what was originally booked, up or down, the new point values will apply.
:

Originally Posted by CalvaryMike
So, who is the best brand to switch too? I've been a loyal Hilton Honors member since the mid 80's. I'm done here. I've loved the brand, but they went to far this time.
Starwood - wave of the Present AND the Future now. Better quarterly promos, better redemption rates, better properties, better customer service, and lifetime status = better program. Leave Hilton in the dust.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by raghu455
Only if you do off peak and need to stay 5 nights. With axon awards you already had 4th night free effectively
Will Axon rewards still be there?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
saw this update after doing a search on the HH site. was wondering why many 25,000 point properties from the past were now 35,000 (searching late April). I also noticed that there weren't any Points+Cash results (possibly because the system is still updating?).
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
At what point are perks no longer perks? This is ridiculous.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ddavid1101
Will Axon rewards still be there?
I dont see any mention of Axon and whether we can stack Axon with 5th night free. That would make it worthwhile on some properties where we get 4th night via Axon and 5th night is free. I hope this will be the saving grace for the program!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
General info on programs belong on their specific forum so I'll move this to Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.