Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Pics can be viewed here.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
How many DT has a club lounge seriously ? Are you confused with Hilton ?
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Gurgaon-New Delhi has an executive lounge, for one.

To dsquared37, thanks for the review and pics.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richard1148

To dsquared37, thanks for the review and pics.
I've most certainly forgotten aspects I intended to post... the problem with delaying the review for 9 days.

One thing that I will mention is that breakfast was dominated by Chinese guests. While at no point did we see a tour bus on the grounds if this hotel is catering to Chinese tour groups my next stay will be my last. I personally have no desire to compete with tour groups from the mainland for a buffet etc.

NB: I have nothing against Chinese people, but plenty against tour groups.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Pics can be viewed here.
thx for the pics.

Room looks nice but indeed very small. Actually I'd book a room for 20.000 points and get a Nor1 upgrade to a suite for 900 THB. The current rates seem to be way too high for that kind of hotel. Imho too much competition in Bangkok for that.

Last edited by olisch; Jun 22, 2013 at 5:05 am
Old Jun 4, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

South down Soi 26 is Bo'lan; expensive but very good Thai food.
One of my favorite restaurants in Bangkok with great (but not inexpensive) Thai food and very high quality service.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Pics can be viewed here.
I like the looks of this hotel, but I am also looking at Club Carlson hotels in Bangkok and see that you have also posted about your stays in them. I am Gold with both HH and CC and will be using points. Which hotel would you recommend?
Old Jun 23, 2013, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the looks of this hotel, but I am also looking at Club Carlson hotels in Bangkok and see that you have also posted about your stays in them. I am Gold with both HH and CC and will be using points. Which hotel would you recommend?
I've only stayed once at the DT and will absolutely stay again. I've stayed at Park Plaza Soi 18 and the Raddisson but not the third property PP Soi 16 (?).

Excluding the final Club Carlson property for obvious reasons I'd put my preferences at PP 18 and DT. As a gold at both properties you'll get upgraded but the DT will give you breakfast. PP18 typically upgrades me to suite (either x24 or x26) but sometimes not. If you stay there and don't get one of the aforementioned rooms then try to get an odd numbered room so you're not looking into an apt building.

Both properties are a relatively easy walk from BTS but the DT is a bit closer.

There's food around both properties but soi 26 is more oriented toward the Japanese customers

Hilton will give you stay credit but CC won't if using points.

Both of these properties are good mid-level ones and you can't really go wrong with either choice.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 7:54 pm

Thanks dsquared37. I just booked the DT.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Here are my observations from my recent one night stay

- nice location at Soi 26, 3 minutes away from Phrom Phong BTS station
- very friendly and helpful staff
- great english skills with all staff that talked to me no matter if it's the front desk, restaurant or house keeping (doesn't really matter to me, but for some this might be important)
- booked a standard room (with points) and got upgraded to a superior room
- I really like the room, although it's indeed rather small. For a one or two night stay it's okay, for a longer stay I'd choose a suite or even another hotel.
- The room has all you need: a very comfortable bed, a working desk, a flat screen tv and a comfortable couch. All furniture was very good quality
- The only negative about the room is that it's not that sound proof, you can hear well what happens on the floor and in the rooms next to you
- The hotel was really packed with chinese tourists, mainly tour groups
- Breakfast was ok, lot's of variety, quality was ok, I had to remind myself that's it's just a DoubleTree and not a 5 star property

Unfortunately there was let down. I booked a standard room with points and requested a Nor1-upgrade to a suite for 900 THB. At check in I was told that they were fully booked so they just upgrade me to a superior room for free. Back in the room I checked the availability and - who might wonder - there deluxe suites still available for a booking. So I went back to the front desk and talked to some kind of front office manager. I told him that I don't mind not getting upgraded, but I can't accept getting lied to. He admitted that are suites still available and apologized for the misunderstanding at check in. As ac compensation he offered either a free upgrade to the suite (but I had to wit for that) or a compensantary dinner at hotel restaurant. Though I liked my room, I took the free buffet dinner. I don't know if it really was just a misunderstanding or something else but they settled it nicely.

Last edited by olisch; Jul 1, 2013 at 1:37 am
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by olisch
I booked a standard room with points and requested a Nor1-upgrade to a suite for 900 THB.
I have a standard room booked with points but don't recall seeing anything about a Nor1 upgrade. How do I get that offer?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 1:36 am
Original Poster

I have a standard room booked with points but don't recall seeing anything about a Nor1 upgrade. How do I get that offer?
There was a link in my confirmation email ...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by olisch
There was a link in my confirmation email ...
Thanks. I didn't see it before.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Average hotel at best, unfortunately

After having spent one night here this week, I won't return for the following reasons:
- As olisch said, there is no sound proofing at all, it's like there aren't walls between the rooms.
- I booked a superior room and that's what I got -- wasn't sure if they would upgrade me to a suite but it was worth the try.
- Breakfast was just okay, not as good as other 4-star properties in Bangkok.
- Tried to check in at 3:30pm but had to wait an hour for my room to be available. No compensation or goodwill gesture, just an apology.
- Wifi inexplicably would just stop working for periods of time. Mentioned this to different staff but they didn't understand that I couldn't get a connection.

On a good note, the staff were very friendly and were clearly trying to do a good job. They also had fresh orchids in the room as well as in the restaurant.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Pics from the hotel and Deluxe Suite

Video from Deluxe Suite
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:53 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
had a short stay here and i have to say the Doubletree bedding is really nice !!

They asked to take a picture of me for their VIP Database for better recognition.

Buffet was way overpriced for what they offer. Hotel was way overpriced for what they offer..... I could have stayed at the Westin with Club lounge access for 2000 Bath less or several other SPG / Marriott properties...

As reported here earlier the hotel is packed with chinese group tours. I dont believe they can remain competitive with rates of 4000THB more...

Staff was friendly. The only thing that impressed me was the bedding... I also like the room style but 500bath more would have taken me to W Bangkok...

I liked the welcome gift , some kind of cake which was really delicious ( no i dont mean the cookies ).

i would consider to stay here again at rates around 3000++

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.