Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
can someone advise how big, in sqf/sqm, are the rooms here? I can't find any info on their website.
Standard rooms are 37sqm, premium rooms a bit more.
alanslegal likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok = Improved Lounge and Diamond Upgrades

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok

11 Sukhumvit Soi 24 Klongton Klongt Bangkok, TH 10110

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok = Improved Lounge and Diamond Upgrades (13 Photos)

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok

I did not stay at Hilton Sukhumvit in the last couple of years for various reasons, but this month in order to take advantage of the 2500 Lufthansa miles per stay promo, I split my 2-night stay in Bangkok between Double Tree and Hilton Sukhumvit which allows for easy check-in check-out: the hotels are next to each other.  I am glad I returned to Hilton Sukhumvit after a long hiatus – either it has improved recently, or it is better than what I remembered, or most likely a bit of both.  

Room

First off, the room.  My recollection is that Hilton Sukhumvit was not particularly generous with suite upgrades, and scanning the FT thread it seems that some other Diamonds experienced the same.  For a one-night stay I did not mind if I was not going to have any upgrade at all but I was pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to a junior suite.  Of course it’s not as nice as the full suites I often have at Marriott/Starwood properties but at least a junior suite is better than no upgrade so my desire to stay at Hilton in the future will increase as a result because I will no longer just automatically assume that I won’t get a suite.  The junior suite is nice and built to a higher standard than both the unrenovated and the renovated rooms at Millenium Hilton, in part because they only renovated the bedroom and living room at MH, not the bathrooms.  As you can see in the pictures, the bathroom at Hilton is large and if you open the blinds in the window between the bathroom and the bedroom, it feels even larger and brighter.  The shower is of a good size although the door does not close completely because the bathtub is in the way so there can be minor water leaks.  This being a junior suite, the bedroom is quite large and I enjoyed the extra space.  

20180927_020403.jpg20180927_020421.jpg20180927_020505.jpg20180927_020526.jpg20180927_020559.jpg

Dining

Perhaps my main surprise for this stay was the choice of food offerings during happy hour 5:30pm – 7:30pm : several kinds of sushis, ham pizza, veggie pizza, gyozas, and a fried noodle dish, which are in addition to salads and various vegetables.  Those choices were enough for a meal and are far superior than what you get at Millenium Hilton, and dare I say, superior to Conrad who recently downgraded food to more fried stuff than I care for.  I suspect happy hour is better at Hilton than it used to be because I remembered it as being a notch below.  Alcohol at Hilton Sukhumvit is a mixed bag: liquor is nice, but wine is limited to one red one white from Australia and it’s “fruit wine” … nothing to write home about.  On this point Conrad wins.  

20180927_032742.jpg20180927_064902.jpg20180927_064923.jpg20180927_064958.jpg20180927_065017.jpg20180927_065148.jpg

The only problem with the executive lounge at Hilton is that it is too small for a hotel of this size.  During happy hour all tables were full and there were even people sitting down and eating in the meeting rooms.  There is a nice triangle-shape terrace outside but once again fairly small. 

20180927_032755.jpg

During the evening there were no desserts but there was a good selection of sweets during afternoon tea.  

20180927_033441.jpg

Overall

Overall one of the main reasons I did not stay at Hilton Sukhumvit for 3+ years was my perception of a difficult value proposition. The rates are almost never below 3.5k THB and are usually in the range 4.0-4.5k THB so without a suite upgrade there are competitive options on the Marriott / Starwood side who are more liberal on suite upgrades.  In terms of price I have never been able to find a BRG at this hotel which does not help matters.  For comparison purposes, at Millenium Hilton I can sometimes find a rate of 2.7k THB and pay for the discounted Diamond panoramic suite upgrade of 1k THB, so in total it does not cost much more than the basic room at Hilton Sukhumvit and yet I am in their best suite.  I do not know if Hilton Sukhumvit is starting to be more generous now with the recent published Diamond benefits which specifically lists suite upgrades as a benefit, but if so then it makes this hotel more attractive in my book.  The Double Tree is usually about 1k THB cheaper but no lounge and less luxurious rooms, which means for Diamond guests part of the 1k THB extra at Hilton is the benefit of having a lounge; this makes sense for guests who actually intend to use the lounge, marginally less so for people who do not care about the lounge. Bottom line, with an improved lounge and perhaps more generous upgrades going forward, I am moving the hotel up a notch when considering alternatives in the city, and those improvements are necessary to compete with good choices on the Marriott / Starwood side.

Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok = Improved Lounge and Diamond Upgrades

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Sukhumvit Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
We will be in Bangkok in November and I am trying to decide between the Hilton Sukhumvit and the Millennium Hilton Bangkok as the Conrad is sold out on the dates that we will be in town. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

I am a Diamond and will be booking 2 rooms since we will be traveling with our adult son. Obviously, we would love a suite upgrade and I noted escape4's point on the lack of suite upgrade at the Sukhumvit. The option of buying the discounted Diamond panoramic suite upgrade of 1k THB at the Millennium is very appealing!

We will have a 7:30AM flight for Tokyo on the day of departure, and I was told that the Sukhumvit is a bit closer to the airport, correct? Thanks again for your insight
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by sapguy
We will be in Bangkok in November and I am trying to decide between the Hilton Sukhumvit and the Millennium Hilton Bangkok as the Conrad is sold out on the dates that we will be in town. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

I am a Diamond and will be booking 2 rooms since we will be traveling with our adult son. Obviously, we would love a suite upgrade and I noted escape4's point on the lack of suite upgrade at the Sukhumvit. The option of buying the discounted Diamond panoramic suite upgrade of 1k THB at the Millennium is very appealing!

We will have a 7:30AM flight for Tokyo on the day of departure, and I was told that the Sukhumvit is a bit closer to the airport, correct? Thanks again for your insight
The Hilton Sukhumvit is definitely closer to the Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK). The Millennium Hilton is on the far side of the Chao Phraya River, and takes much longer to reach.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum

The HS is definitely closer, could probably get there in 25 minutes at 4:30am or so in the morning, whereas you would add say 15 minutes more from the MH.

Now you choose a hotel based on what you want to to do in Bangkok - if you want to do lots of things on the river, stay on the river - want to explore the shopping malls, then on the Sukhimvit BTS line and so on etc. Bangkok is a large city and even getting around on public transport can take a while (not to mention, squashing in with everyone else on board).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
The Hilton Sukhumvit is definitely closer to the Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK). The Millennium Hilton is on the far side of the Chao Phraya River, and takes much longer to reach.
Thanks
Any thought on suite upgrades for Diamond?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Thanks
As HH D, I have had one suite upgrade in perhaps 6 stays (6 nights) at the Sukhumvit Hilton, that being several months ago.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Thanks
I stayed at H. Sukhumvit around 80 nights last year. They had a strict policy only to upgrade two levels up and since the occupancy never were below 90% and group bookings usually involves some suite upgrades they are preferred before Diamonds.
I got executive rooms normally, Junior Suites occasionally and if I asked I could move to a bigger suite 1 or 2 days of my stay but it was too much hassle.

So this property prioritize korean and japanese groups and are often close to 100% occupancy which makes it hard to get an upgrade, regardless what the rules say. If you have only one night stay your chances improve. I love the beds though and they are the same in every room.
Doublethree in the same location can´t compare at all. Noise between rooms, many connecting door rooms and tight spaced.

Regarding the discounted diamond suite at Millenium, do you guys book it online after you confirm your normal booking? I´d love to book one.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:44 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Insomnia4u
Regarding the discounted diamond suite at Millenium, do you guys book it online after you confirm your normal booking? I´d love to book one.
I contact the hotel directly after booking to guarantee the suite. If you book NOR1 online they you will pay a bit less, but it's not guaranteed.
Insomnia4u likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:30 pm

Do gold have any chance for executive lounge access at this property?

Last edited by zqsn5678; Dec 20, 2018 at 8:48 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
Probably yes. My first stay as a Gold in Hilton group happened in this hotel, not only got executive lounge access but also very early check in and free breakfast at restaurant. I believe that's 4+ years ago, back then Lougne offerings were OK a little below current offerings. I don't know whether that has changed considering how many Aspire Diamond. I have Aspire too but will have exactly 30 stays and 40 nights after year end. Next year I don't think I can qualify Diamond w/o Aspire card since I will switch almost all stays to Marriott to achieve Prem. platinum. The main reason is lack of 4PM check out and not so generous upgrade policy. As a matter of fact, I have never got upgrade to suit here about 10+ stays as Diamond, only premium executive plus once and most of my stays were one night (switch back and forth to DoubleTree for stay and 1,000 Myway points), part of the reason maybe I paid less room rate due to APAC promotion.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: EB*D, Hilton Diamond, Carlson Gold Elite, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
They have great recognition of gold here and treat more or less gold and diamond as same.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We just checked in here, having booked a King Premium Executive room and hoping for an upgrade to a junior suite.

We don’t see anything special about our non-upgraded room, but the front desk tells us all rooms are the same size and could only say our “coffee maker” (actually a kettle) is what makes it “Premium.”

I did speak to the duty manager, who put me on hold to find out what was “Premium” about the room. She said it’s the teapot and the fact it’s on a higher floor.

It’s also a connecting room near the elevator with a view of nearby construction, while Mrs. Fredd’s Profile preference is “away from the elevator.” In fairness, we could have had a junior suite on a smoking floor. Our dissatisfaction is not the missed upgrade but paying 1500 Baht extra per night for a “premium” experience.

We’re left with the impression we paid up for nothing. Any thoughts from those who have stayed here?
restlessinRNO likes this.

Last edited by Fredd; Jan 4, 2019 at 1:13 am
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by Fredd
We’re left with the impression we paid up for nothing. Any thoughts from those who have stayed here?
Your experience is disappointing, but not surprising. This property is very stingy with room upgrades. I've stayed here 8-10 times and recall a room upgrade twice, including once when I uncharacteristically pushed for an upgrade after repeatedly not receiving one. (Junior and regular suites were bookable online.)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:33 am

Checked-in yesterday at 7pm. App showed 1 category upgrade (lowly gold). Asked about the excutive lounge access and was told fully book for the next 3 nights (website indicated otherwise).

I offered to pay for the upgrade. Magically excutive rooms with lounge access were available but only for night 2 and 3.

edit: TBH50 for a bucket of ice cubes delivered to the room? First time I encountered in any hotels. If only self-service available.

Last edited by zqsn5678; Jan 5, 2019 at 6:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.