Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Current Marriott Platinum, gonna check out Hilton Props. what I need to know?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite

I am a current Marriott Platinum Elite, after speaking to a Hilton guy on my flight home tonight I decided I would check out Hilton Props.

Right now I only have two stays last year at Hilton's for 13k points. I typically stay 4-5 nights a week at a hotel.
What I need to know?
-He mentioned a double dip, points + miles?
-Does Hilton do any promotions I need to sign up for?
-Will HH match my Marriott status?
-What is the HGI Bed and Breakfast rate mean? Do I just get a breakfast? Or delivered to room?

Anything else I need to know?

Last edited by SvnTwoo; Jul 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Originally Posted by SvnTwoo
I am a current Marriott Platinum Elite, after speaking to a Hilton guy on my flight home tonight I decided I would check out Hilton Props.

Right now I only have two stays last year at Hilton's for 13k points. I typically stay 4-5 nights a week at a hotel.
What I need to know?
-He mentioned a double dip, points + miles?

Hilton allows you to earn hotel points and airline miles on the same stay or you can earn points and more points. Just decide what your goal is.

-Will HH match my Marriott status?

Hilton tends not to do a direct status match but will give a "challenge".
-What is the HGI Bed and Breakfast rate mean? Do I just get a breakfast? Or delivered to room? A bed and breakfast rate will get you breakfast included but I've never seen it include room service.

Old Jul 27, 2012, 8:15 am

I recently completed the challenge (from Ritz/Marriott Plat) and am now Diamond through early 2014.

The challenge is 'Stay 21 nights in 90 days'.

You can PM the HHonors representative here on FT to initiate the challenge.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:36 am
Original Poster

thanks for the info.

I was able to contact HH and they said to fax a request for Tier Compete and my current Marriott status info over and they will get back to me.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It may be worth staying enough for gold. Hh dia is essentially equivalent to gold and Hilton points are being aggressively devalued into cashback kind.
Look into PC, Hyatt and spg rather than hilton for better program value.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Yes, go the HHonors.com home page and sign up.

-What is the HGI Bed and Breakfast rate mean? Do I just get a breakfast? Or delivered to room?
This is a local property rate and not HGI-wide. Note that once you attain Gold or Diamond status, you can select breakfast as your "My-Way" on-property benefit even when you book a cheaper room.

Yes - get one of the HH co-branded credit cards. There is the free Amex, the Amex surpass and the just-announced Citi card. The free Amex gets you 6 pts/$ at HH properties while the latter get you 9 pts/$ plus a bonus on certain categories of spending.

If you do all of the bonuses, double-dip and pay with the co-branded CC you will be raking in the points. Keep in mind that award redemptions will cost more points than the equivalent MR award, but if you do as above, you should come out ahead.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I would say HH Gold is fairly similar to Marriott Gold except the lounge access is not guaranteed with HH Gold. I don't think there is a significant benefit of being a HH Diamond as compared to HH Gold as others have mentioned here, but the same can be said for the marginal benefit of Marriott Platinum vs. Gold. The top tiers do get better room upgrades than the mid tiers in both programs though.

One thing to note about HH elite levels is that it is a lot easier to hit Gold or Platinum via credit card spend and so many peole complain about this "dilution" effect.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I agree with the last sentence. I hit diamond on stays last year and will renew it this year, and I have to say it rather cheapens the top tier when it's given only by credit card spend.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by stifle
I agree with the last sentence. I hit diamond on stays last year and will renew it this year, and I have to say it rather cheapens the top tier when it's given only by credit card spend.
How many people do you think put $40K on their surpass / citi card to achieve Diamond status?

Additionally, if they are achieving status through CC spend, that means they are probably not staying in Hiltons all that often and are really not competing with you for Diamond upgrades with any great frequency.

I understand your concern, but I don't really think the impact of CC Diamonds is that great.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist;Bonvoy Lifetime Titan ; Hilton DIA (amex); AA Plat
I wouldn't "lose" Marr Plat for HH, but if you can get Diamond easy, not bad. I use it was the extra pts and amenities on check in, even if the pts are overvalued.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA, UA, HHonors, PC
You can use the gyms/fitness centers for free.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by keeton
If you do all of the bonuses, double-dip and pay with the co-branded CC you will be raking in the points.
And if you are willing to hotel-hop, especially during promos like "stay 4, get 1," you will be surprised how fast it adds up.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
How many people do you think put $40K on their surpass / citi card to achieve Diamond status?

Additionally, if they are achieving status through CC spend, that means they are probably not staying in Hiltons all that often and are really not competing with you for Diamond upgrades with any great frequency.

I understand your concern, but I don't really think the impact of CC Diamonds is that great.
^ +1

I agree. I think the number of diamond members from mere CC spend is a very low percentage.

Also, Gold members receive a 25% bonus while Diamond receive a 50% bonus. Plus, the Diamond 48hr guarantee may be a big benefit for the OP (who sounds like a frequent business traveller).
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:05 pm

Lucky (one mile at a time) did a review of Gold vs. Diamond Today.

Really did not make Diamond sound too compelling.... (for my stay pattern anyway)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.