FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Honors T&Cs changed effective July 19 2012: No Diamond Force on Reward Stays (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1369218-honors-t-cs-changed-effective-july-19-2012-no-diamond-force-reward-stays.html)

stifle Jul 23, 2012 1:36 am

Honors T&Cs changed effective July 19 2012: No Diamond Force on Reward Stays

Buried in the T&C update of 19 July is this sentence:

Guaranteed reservations availability, subject to the restrictions stated herein, at hotels within the Hilton Worldwide portfolio when paid reservations are made before midnight hotel local time, two or more days (48 hours) prior to intended arrival. RESTRICTIONS: This guarantee does not apply to reservations paid for in part or in full by HHonors points, free night certificates issued by Hilton Worldwide.
While this had already been effectively removed by the premium room reward nonsense at a number of highly desirable properties, it seems to me to be yet another way our Hilton points are being devalued.

stifle Jul 23, 2012 1:44 am

HHonors T&Cs changed effective July 19 2012

There are new HHonors T&Cs at http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/terms.do marked effective last Thursday. I really should start keeping old versions so I can compare. The immediate things I see are:
  • there's a new company Hilton HHonors Worldwide LLC which now operates the scheme
  • upgrades now exclude "executive suites", "villas", and "vista accommodation types"
  • Diamond Force is officially excluded on reward stays (points and certs)
  • Upgrades are officially excluded at every brand except DT/Hilton/Conrad/W=A (and the T&Cs contradict other parts of the site by saying Golds don't get upgraded at W=A)
  • Diamond Force is excluded at Maldives, Seychelles, Ho'olei, and a few others (don't know if that was there all along)
  • Gold and Diamond upgrades are restricted to one room per booking even if it is a multi-room booking
  • Gold members get an upgrade if available and then choose 1000 points or breakfast (in-room movie rather than breakfast at W=A); previously they had to choose upgrade + breakfast or 1000 points.

moore1984 Jul 23, 2012 5:28 am

Not seen any announcement yet - are there any positives?

stifle Jul 23, 2012 5:29 am

Technically the last one is an improvement, I suppose.

moore1984 Jul 23, 2012 5:30 am

For Golds it is.

Looks like more dilution for Diamonds though.

PanGalactic Jul 23, 2012 5:42 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 18983539)
[*]Upgrades are officially excluded at every brand except DT/Hilton/Conrad/W=A (and the T&Cs contradict other parts of the site by saying Golds don't get upgraded at W=A)

It's still showing on the My Way options

Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts
As a Gold member, you receive the following benefit:
One category, space-available room upgrade*
(Excludes suites, Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and the Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri)
And choose ONE of the following:
1,000 Hilton HHonors® Bonus Points
One in-room movie included with your stay (where locally available).
* Note: If a room upgrade is not available, you will receive both of the remaining benefits.

Filthy Monkey Jul 23, 2012 6:34 am

It is disappointing, but not really surprising, given the way things are going. There really doesn't seem to be much benefit to being Diamond anymore over Gold.

FLYGVA Jul 23, 2012 6:55 am

There are new HHonors T&Cs (...)
  • Gold and Diamond upgrades are restricted to one room per booking even if it is a multi-room booking

Is this really a change, I think this has been this way in the last t&c as well, but was handled to our (i.e. the customers) advantage by the most hotels in the past (i.e. upgrading all rooms)?

ChinaShrek Jul 23, 2012 7:00 am

[*]Gold members get an upgrade if available and then choose 1000 points or breakfast (in-room movie rather than breakfast at W=A); previously they had to choose upgrade + breakfast or 1000 points.[/LIST]

So, if I book a rate that includes breakfast, should I now select points? (I still want an Executive Lounge room.) Another way to put the question: am I at risk of being denied the full restaurant breakfast if I select points but I have booked a rate that includes breakfast?

stifle Jul 23, 2012 7:08 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek (Post 18984456)
So, if I book a rate that includes breakfast, should I now select points? (I still want an Executive Lounge room.) Another way to put the question: am I at risk of being denied the full restaurant breakfast if I select points but I have booked a rate that includes breakfast?

To the first question, it seems yes. To the second, I cannot imagine a hotel reasonably denying you a breakfast that you have paid for in your rate, irrespective of what HHonors choices you may have made.

stifle Jul 23, 2012 7:09 am

Originally Posted by FLYGVA (Post 18984429)
Is this really a change, I think this has been this way in the last t&c as well, but was handled to our (i.e. the customers) advantage by the most hotels in the past (i.e. upgrading all rooms)?

I don't have the last T&C to hand, but I don't think it was quite this unambiguous.

stifle Jul 23, 2012 7:11 am

The only useful benefit is guaranteed lounge access whether upgraded or not. Certainly I don't consider being able to force a room at £369 a night (or whatever the rack rate is) to be a benefit. And in any case, it's probably an extraordinary demand date.

Need Jul 23, 2012 8:25 am

Well, at least they make it official now.

ChinaShrek Jul 23, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 18984490)
To the first question, it seems yes. To the second, I cannot imagine a hotel reasonably denying you a breakfast that you have paid for in your rate, irrespective of what HHonors choices you may have made.

Thanks for the opinion. It seems that they have improved Gold while devaluing Diamond.^

lewende Jul 23, 2012 10:14 am

[*]Upgrades are officially excluded at every brand except DT/Hilton/Conrad/W=A (and the T&Cs contradict other parts of the site by saying Golds don't get upgraded at W=A)

It doesn't say gold members have upgrade at W=A, only DT/Hilton/Conrad.