Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Honors T&Cs changed effective July 19 2012: No Diamond Force on Reward Stays

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honors T&Cs changed effective July 19 2012: No Diamond Force on Reward Stays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There have been some benefit improvements:
It's depressing to have them specifically exclude upgrades at HGI and HI & S. I will be staying at 1 HGI and 4 HI & S in the next week, and I imagine now that my chances of an upgrade just went to zilch.

David
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Can someone help me clarify this?
1.•Gold members get an upgrade if available and then choose 1000 points or breakfast (in-room movie rather than breakfast at W=A); previously they had to choose upgrade + breakfast or 1000 points.

Does this mean we are guaranteed an upgrade to exec room (lounge access) if available if we booked either with cash,cash+points or full reward on the cheapest room?

Before this new change what was the arrangement?

Thanks,
K.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
HH has officially jumped on the devaluation wagon, though been there since pt
Cats changed and we lost RT.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by DiverDave
It's depressing to have them specifically exclude upgrades at HGI and HI & S. I will be staying at 1 HGI and 4 HI & S in the next week, and I imagine now that my chances of an upgrade just went to zilch.

David
Upgrades were never a stated benefit at HGI or HI, but some properties gave them anyhow. I don't expect that will change.
Originally Posted by k3nnis
Can someone help me clarify this?
1.•Gold members get an upgrade if available and then choose 1000 points or breakfast (in-room movie rather than breakfast at W=A); previously they had to choose upgrade + breakfast or 1000 points.

Does this mean we are guaranteed an upgrade to exec room (lounge access) if available if we booked either with cash,cash+points or full reward on the cheapest room?

Before this new change what was the arrangement?

Thanks,
K.
An upgrade to an executive room has never been guaranteed for anyone, and lounge access is not guaranteed for Golds under this or the immediately preceding T&Cs.

Now, you choose either 1000 points or continental breakfast. You will then get a space-available upgrade (which may or may not be to an Executive room). If and only if you are upgraded to a room that would give executive lounge access if paid with cash, you will also get executive lounge access.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Huge. This is the ONE benefit to Diamond status that made it worth keeping. It's been one slap in the face after another since 2009. Why don't you just do what you really want and end the program?! After many years as a Diamond I need not even think about letting it go.
It really an unfortunate development. I have used this couple of this already this year. The "Premium Room" scam is not the solution (yes there are few exceptions).
Old Jul 24, 2012, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by stifle
There are new HHonors T&Cs at http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/terms.do marked effective last Thursday. I really should start keeping old versions so I can compare. The immediate things I see are:
  • there's a new company Hilton HHonors Worldwide LLC which now operates the scheme
  • upgrades now exclude "executive suites", "villas", and "vista accommodation types"
  • Diamond Force is officially excluded on reward stays (points and certs)
  • Upgrades are officially excluded at every brand except DT/Hilton/Conrad/W=A (and the T&Cs contradict other parts of the site by saying Golds don't get upgraded at W=A)
  • Diamond Force is excluded at Maldives, Seychelles, Ho'olei, and a few others (don't know if that was there all along)
  • Gold and Diamond upgrades are restricted to one room per booking even if it is a multi-room booking
  • Gold members get an upgrade if available and then choose 1000 points or breakfast (in-room movie rather than breakfast at W=A); previously they had to choose upgrade + breakfast or 1000 points.
Is there an improvement for Gold?
I may be wrong, so please to correct me if I am wrong.
I thought the above mentioned benefit for Gold came out since January, when they last updated the T&C?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 10:51 am

This is ideed sad. I have had to use the force many times, and it was a positive for being a diamond. Many of us first nail the flights down ,if using miles. Some airlines (especially my Delta) make it difficult to use the miles.
Once I get my dates I start booking my stays. Now, it's very possible my hotel of choice will not be available.
One of the major reasons I spend around 200 nights a year with HH properties is to be sure I can use my points in Rome, Venice, Florence, Munich, etc. Now, it's a roll of the dice-and I hate snake eyes.
I guess it's time to shuffle my stays elsewhere to best protect myself. Not sure if Marriott ,or SPG are my best bets, but no force means that once again HH has thumbed its nose at diamonds.
By the way, I know all the hotel chains have weaknesses. But, the force simply meant I was sure I'd use my points as I desired. Now, it's leading to using them only when the hotel allows. Eventually, i expect there will be tiers with higher points for peak times.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Vuelos
And they decided to not honor any reservations which were under request at that point in time.

Thanks Hilton [td]
if you had a reward stay booked under the Diamond 48 then I am sure they
are still honoring those.

Did you have one that got cancelled? or are you talking about something else?

If you had one booked, you probably should just leave it in place and not try making any changes to it. That might mess up your reservation.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by jabez
This is ideed sad. I have had to use the force many times, and it was a positive for being a diamond. Many of us first nail the flights down ,if using miles. Some airlines (especially my Delta) make it difficult to use the miles.
Once I get my dates I start booking my stays. Now, it's very possible my hotel of choice will not be available.
One of the major reasons I spend around 200 nights a year with HH properties is to be sure I can use my points in Rome, Venice, Florence, Munich, etc. Now, it's a roll of the dice-and I hate snake eyes.
I guess it's time to shuffle my stays elsewhere to best protect myself. Not sure if Marriott ,or SPG are my best bets, but no force means that once again HH has thumbed its nose at diamonds.
By the way, I know all the hotel chains have weaknesses. But, the force simply meant I was sure I'd use my points as I desired. Now, it's leading to using them only when the hotel allows. Eventually, i expect there will be tiers with higher points for peak times.

are there other chains that allow the top tier status the 48 hour with reward stays? If so, which chain?

While I agree it will be difficult, it just means we have to plan ahead a little better to allow the reward stays. For me, personally, I very rarely book last minute vacations. But, I do understand for those who need to use their points they will be receiving last minute to book the stays. I guess I just save my points in advance as well. (i don't like the looks of a depleted account )

Also, if the specific hotel you are considering doesn't have the dates and you need to use points, you can always consider the hotels nearby that might have reward availability (if it exist).
I guess a little planning will just be needed though.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by shoreline
if you had a reward stay booked under the Diamond 48 then I am sure they
are still honoring those.

Did you have one that got cancelled? or are you talking about something else?

If you had one booked, you probably should just leave it in place and not try making any changes to it. That might mess up your reservation.

I made a request on 18July and they were working on it. When I called yesterday to check on the status was denied due to new rule
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
It is disappointing, but not really surprising, given the way things are going. There really doesn't seem to be much benefit to being Diamond anymore over Gold.
No more sense, right. Take the credit card, be gold and that's it. What a shame, Hilton!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Exclamation

Everyone should post something on the Hilton HHonors facebook page about this. I did and got an email from a rep (they looked up my account) they told me they would forward my comments to the Management of HHonors. Power in numbers.

Here is what I posted
" Just one more slap in the face to HH Diamonds. The new T&C on July 19 cutting the Diamond force for reward nights and giving more perks to Gold's. The Diamond force was the one benefit to Diamond status that made it worth keeping. It's been one slap in the face after another since 2009. What is the difference between Diamond and Gold other than the 50% instead of 25% bonus points and an additional 1000 (or less) points? Sure points are nice, but your top competitors keep adding REAL benefits to their top tier, Hilton Keeps taking away theirs and given more to the mid tier?!?!? "
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Facebook

Originally Posted by little_dc
Everyone should post something on the Hilton HHonors facebook page about this. I did and got an email from a rep (they looked up my account) they told me they would forward my comments to the Management of HHonors. Power in numbers.

Here is what I posted
" Just one more slap in the face to HH Diamonds. The new T&C on July 19 cutting the Diamond force for reward nights and giving more perks to Gold's. The Diamond force was the one benefit to Diamond status that made it worth keeping. It's been one slap in the face after another since 2009. What is the difference between Diamond and Gold other than the 50% instead of 25% bonus points and an additional 1000 (or less) points? Sure points are nice, but your top competitors keep adding REAL benefits to their top tier, Hilton Keeps taking away theirs and given more to the mid tier?!?!? "

This is a brilliant idea. Do you mind sharing the link?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Vuelos
I made a request on 18July and they were working on it. When I called yesterday to check on the status was denied due to new rule
huh?
you've lost me. When booking a reward stay you either book it or you don't.

If there was no availability and your 48 hr diamond guarantee was not working why didn't you speak with a supervisor?

I have no clue what 'working on it means'.

When making your request on 7/18 why didn't you just book the reward stay?

seems like an odd situation.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 5:19 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by shoreline
huh?
you've lost me. When booking a reward stay you either book it or you don't.

If there was no availability and your 48 hr diamond guarantee was not working why didn't you speak with a supervisor?

I have no clue what 'working on it means'.

When making your request on 7/18 why didn't you just book the reward stay?

seems like an odd situation.
Not odd at all. When using Diamond Force, HHonors Diamond Desk has to talk to the hotel to make the booking. It is not instant. OP was screwed when the hotel uses the new policy to deny the request.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.