Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Checkers is easier to get to if you don't have a rental car (obviously, taxi/ride-share app will work fine for either location). Overnight parking in both areas can be expensive (street meters in effect daily until late hours). Short walk to a dead/dying mall with a Macy's nearby to Checkers. DT at ground zero of Little Tokyo; lots to do, eat experience late into the evening. Neither location has very sound-proof windows, but Checkers is slightly better (you will be serenaded by police/ambulance sirens throughout the night at both locations). Checkers feels more elegant, but DT has a nicer garden area to sit and sip coffee/tea; there's a semi-attached Starbucks at the DT.

Originally Posted by lizs
Any recent reports from here? Trying to decide whether to use 60k points at Checkers or 20k points + $85 here for a night. Obviously 20k+$85 is a better deal but should I spend more to get the Checkers?

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Jan 10, 2017 at 12:49 pm
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:18 pm

I'm in week two of seven here. This will be a few first impressions, followed by updates, as I notice stuff.

I used OLCI for first two weeks. The first week, the OLCI allowed me to choose a suite (an upgrade). The rooms have been good. 21st floor is the top. 19th and 20th have been reasonably quiet; there isn't really a "best" direction to face, noise-wise, with fairly big streets all around. I hear good things about the garden, but free-time isn't on my schedule. (yet)

The fitness center is fine, mostly Life Fitness cardio equipment, with those wonderful (not) touch screens. I haven't seen the place get really busy yet, though occupancy is up this week. The place is a little dark and get no natural light. If you want to stream music from wi-fi, you can't use your room access (HHonors), you need to use the lobby signal. For that room access, I didn't get a code when I checked in, so I had to call and explain that I was a Diamond....

Breakfast, as already described, is in Justice. When you walk in, they ask whether you are a Diamond or Gold; if so, you're immediately directed to the buffet area. The restaurant opens at 6:00AM, and I need to be at work by 6:30AM, so buffet is my only option, time-wise. It's fine, with fruit, dry cereal, oatmeal and then some meat and egg things. Weekdays, there is also a very nice lady cooking (I guess) eggs of some sort. (Sorry, I'm vegetarian and ignorant on the meat and egg stuff.) Coffee drinkers get a mini carafe...that often only has one cup's worth. There's really no table service, other than delivering that coffee...if you're Diamond or Gold. People paying for breakfast - ordering from the menu - obviously get service.

The location is great if you are an omnivore. The restaurants are really appealing. Strict vegetarians aren't well served by Japanese places anywhere; this is no exception. But we're a small minority. The Grand Central Market has some vegetarian stuff. About five blocks and open until 10:00PM.

With the OLCI and Digital Key, I really don't have any staff interactions. That's the way I like it.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Feb 7, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Just completed a five night stay here on points; DTLA rates were expensive and the fifth night free ended up being a relatively good deal for us.

My comments largely echo 365RoadWarrior's -- though I wish I had remembered his tip about OLCI. We ended up with a standard room on the 12th floor, facing Los Angeles Ave; noise wasn't bothersome. The room was a bit dated in decor but well maintained; the bathrooms are on the small side, though, and for some reason lack the curved shower bars that seem standard elsewhere. The bathroom mirror is also weirdly small.

Breakfast was fine, and a full buffet was nice to see -- there's a very generous selection of fruit and Greek yogurt, and the omelet lady is great. Service otherwise was somewhat frustrating -- getting that carafe of coffee was a bit hit or miss, and we had to flag someone down after a long wait several days to get it delivered. And they clearly didn't remember we were HH guests, so I don't think that was the issue. But I'll take a good, full buffet with lackluster service over a continental option, any day.

The location adjacent to Little Tokyo is really excellent -- there is something good to eat at nearly any hour, and good shopping as well. The plaza immediately adjacent to the DT is connected via a walkway on the mezzanine level, and has a cute bookstore (primarily Japanese books, but a nice selection of gifts, stationery supplies, and general interest books as well, including a good selection of books on LA). There is also a nice Japanese grocery in that plaza with good options.

We had an excellent dinner at Kikunoi in the Honda Plaza a few blocks away -- they style themselves a creative izakaya, and the food was upscale and creative takes on traditional Japanese dishes. Reservations are via phone and email, but we also heard them say while we were there that they often had walk-in tables available. Highly recommended.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Any recent stays here? Updated reviews? Are rooms quiet? Homeless right nearby (or far enough from skid row...)
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 2:53 pm

I’m also curios, have a 3 night stay after coastal starlight train, Labor Day wknd

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.