Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

favorites for hilton for snorkeling/scuba?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

favorites for hilton for snorkeling/scuba?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by silviar
thanks, hawaii is a realistic option for us since we live in CA, will check this out
Use the public beach access at the Mariott Waikoloa, just down the street from the Hilton. There is some really nice snorkeling right off the beach there. Also drive up to the public beach access at the Mauna Kea - good snorkeling there, too! Hit up Hapuna Beach if you want some fun bodysurfing.
Another place that is usually my first place to snorkel on the Big Island (just to get my "snorkel legs" back) is down at Kahaluu Park, in between Kailua-Kona and Keahou. It's a little cove and has rocks that form a little barrier to keep the waves out. I've always seen sea turtles there.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:17 pm

Cairns Hilton. Walk 5 minutes to the docks and ride any of numerous options out to the Great Barrier Reef.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by silviar
Thanks, we have this on our list too, could you snorkel from your OWB? or do you need to take a boat out somewhere? is the diving better than snorkeling? i always heard the water was colder there than say the carribean. thanks for writing.
Actually, you don't even need to be in an OWB for snorkeling...there's a long stretch of beach that leads right into the reef. You can literally start snorkeling 50 feet from the shore. It's been a while since I visited the Caribbean, but I definitely did not find the water in Moorea to be cold (we were there in May 2011). If my wife went in without complaining, you know it was quite warm!

The water around the beach and all out by the OWB's in Moorea is never deeper than 5 or 6 feet, so there's a TON of space to snorkel. Can't speak to the diving facilities...pretty sure that would be a boat ride.

The snorkeling seriously was incredible. We used to grab a couple of rolls on our way out of breakfast and feed the fish. They would literally eat right out of our hands!

I'll also give a nod to the Hilton in Cairns. The location was perfect for hopping on a tour to the Great Barrier Reef (though the day we went, it was quite rough).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Beachfan - sorry, can't help with other chain hotels in the Maldives. I only collect HH and the Conrad has been our choice pick for a winter holiday. It ticks all our boxes.

Prior to the arrival of our son 18 months ago, we dived 4 times a year at various locations, but almost always 'liveaboard'.

We dived Tahiti years ago, but it's such a long trip from Sweden, I doubt we'd do it again. The diving was amazing. I don't have much info on snorkelling. My own personal research seem to support the fact that house reef at Conrad should be one of the best. Kuredu should also be very good, but the resort isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as Conrad
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: VS, BA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Deepd1ver7
Beachfan - sorry, can't help with other chain hotels in the Maldives. I only collect HH and the Conrad has been our choice pick for a winter holiday. It ticks all our boxes.

Prior to the arrival of our son 18 months ago, we dived 4 times a year at various locations, but almost always 'liveaboard'.

We dived Tahiti years ago, but it's such a long trip from Sweden, I doubt we'd do it again. The diving was amazing. I don't have much info on snorkelling. My own personal research seem to support the fact that house reef at Conrad should be one of the best. Kuredu should also be very good, but the resort isn't anywhere near as sophisticated as Conrad
Old thread, but any Hilton get close to the quality of the Conrad Rangali when it comes to snorkeling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.