Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Citi Hilton Honors vs. Amex Hilton Honors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Hilton Honors vs. Amex Hilton Honors?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I may downgrade my surpass card to a free card if I can figure out how to apply or get my current citi card upgraded.
You get 2 free weekend night certs if you apply for the Reserve (and do the minimum spend), but not if you upgrade your current Citi HH card.

Btw, you can apply for another regular (no annual fee) Citi HH Visa card even if you already have one (and earn the 50k or whatever bonus each time). We have plenty of experience with that in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...nors-visa.html

The (regular no-fee) Amex and/or the new Citi Reserve is for using (because of the earning rate). The regular Citi Visa IMHO is for churning only (not for keeping), because of the poorer earning rate.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Choice Privileges
Does anyone have both the fee free amex and fee free visa. Did you get the sign up bonus for both. I already have the AMEX but was thinking about getting VISA for some added points.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by ghostcrash
Does anyone have both the fee free amex and fee free visa. Did you get the sign up bonus for both. I already have the AMEX but was thinking about getting VISA for some added points.
Yes, you may have points from both; I do.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ghostcrash
They are from different banks and completely independent of each other.

But furthermore, while you can only apply for the Amex once (to get the bonus), you can aplpy for the Visa (from Citi) over and over again and get the bonus (after $1500 spend on each card) every time! See this thread for more info on that:

I have the fee free Amex and I keep that. I keep getting the fee free Visa but keep cancelling it and getting another one (or two) after a while.

The fee free Amex earns more in normal usage, which is why it's the one to keep. The fee free Visa can be churned, and that's why it's the one with which to spend enough to get the bonus, then put in a drawer (go back to the Visa), then after a few months cancel, and meanwhile repeat.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: DL
Can someone point me to the very best offer available for both the Amex and the Citi Hilton Honors cards? Thanks.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoelTR
Can someone point me to the very best offer available for both the Amex and the Citi Hilton Honors cards? Thanks.
Geez, I only posted it one post above yours and also four posts above yours! Did you not read at all before you posted???

The very best offer for the Citi Hiilton HHonors card (the no-fee version that has points bonuses) is here:

And you can apply for two at a time (for 100k total bonus from the Visa cards) if you can do two times $1500 spend in 4 months (ie, $1500 spend in 4 months is the spend requierement on each card, so you have to do twice the spend if applying for two cards at once).

And you can churn this card too (you have to wait at least 65 days before applying for another one or two, but for most people the spend requirement slows it down from that anyway).

Here's the thread (also in MilesBuzz!) for the best Hilton Amex offers right now:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...0-31-12-a.html

You generally cannot churn the Hilton Amex. But that one has better "everyday" earnings on use, so that's the one to keep. (The Visa is the one to churn.)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Choice Privileges
Thanks all for the quick responses. Now I have another question that could apply to both cards. Can you apply for the AMEX or VISA Honors card for say your spouse and use your HHonnors Number. I am thinking this would be a good way to get the signup bonus again for AMEX but apply under my wife and have points go to my account. Has anybody tried this? I know you can xfer points but the expense does not seem worth it. We don't travel enough to have two rewards accounts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.