Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Rumor - Diamonds to get all on-property benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor - Diamonds to get all on-property benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by lewende
I doubt any diamond members would choose 1000 points instead of free breakfasts and upgrade right now.
since I am a 1-2 night kinda guy, I always choose points.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by travelexpert
So THIS is how HH plans to distinguish between Diamond and Gold?

Puleeeeeeeeze. An extra 1,000 points is so trivial. Almost an insult, really.

Show me the upgrades, baby.....

The suiter, the better!
+1, HHonors has to go a long way to differentiate diamond from gold, esp. gold has been severely diluted by numerous and endless promotions.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by jamanatu
Suite upgrades?
Apparently.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I doubt any diamond members would choose 1000 points instead of free breakfasts and upgrade right now.
I have. If it's a one night stay and I have an early morning flight, I will just take the 1,000 points and if my upgrade cleared eat on the plane and if not just eat some oatmeal or a bagel at the airline lounge for breakfast. I realy don't care about breakfast and for one night when I am getting up early really don't care about the upgrade.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i do this for all my work stays....most of my stays are single night stays & my firm always books a club room or suite for me so i don't need to rely on an upgrade to get a good room or breakfast....
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would rather see that as well. Not sure how many people chose points over upgrades/breakfast
I usually get both free breakfasts and the upgrade -- I don't see anything to get excited about.

Most recent examples were at a Hilton resort (where we got a large suite) and an HGI (where we just got queen beds).

Bob H
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
+1, HHonors has to go a long way to differentiate diamond from gold, esp. gold has been severely diluted by numerous and endless promotions.
Right on target. There definitely needs to be significant perks to differentiate the loyaly of Diamond status from that of gold. All on-property benefits would at least be a step in the right direction.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:35 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BobH
I usually get both free breakfasts and the upgrade
Ditto here.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I usually get both free breakfasts and the upgrade -- I don't see anything to get excited about.
You should be getting both if your benefits are set to upgrades

A space-available room upgrade, including breakfast.**

You will be upgraded to an Executive Floor room (where/when available) at time of check-in. If an Executive Floor room is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades exclude suites, villas and specialty accommodations. At hotels with Executive Floor lounges, if an Executive Floor room upgrade is available, you will also receive access to the lounge. In addition, you will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for you and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day of your stay.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM, Hilton - Diamond, PriorityClub - Platinum
Originally Posted by cordelli
You should be getting both if your benefits are set to upgrades

A space-available room upgrade, including breakfast.**

You will be upgraded to an Executive Floor room (where/when available) at time of check-in. If an Executive Floor room is unavailable, you will be upgraded to the next best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades exclude suites, villas and specialty accommodations. At hotels with Executive Floor lounges, if an Executive Floor room upgrade is available, you will also receive access to the lounge. In addition, you will receive complimentary Continental breakfast for you and up to one additional registered hotel guest each day of your stay.
The kicker is that you then also get the bonus points. For those of us that do a lot of 1 or 2 night stays this can add up over the year. It is not a benefit that is going to set your world on fire, but it seems better then having to choose which we value more.

To answer a previous question, the agent stated that this would be a free benefit and not require a special rate. He also did not mention suites, though I did not ask about them. That would be a nice upgrade to the program at certain properties.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
"The kicker is that you then also get the bonus points"

It's all a function of who's paying for it

I value the extra 1,000 points at about $5 --- by comparison a free breakfast for 2 can be worth at least 20-25 bucks at an HGI, FT or full Hilton.

A couple of weeks ago, under the current program I got over 9,000 Hilton points plus something like 2,500 airline points for a two night weekend stay at an HGI... and my room was booked at a deep discount rate.

Bob H
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mgoflyer
The kicker is that you then also get the bonus points. For those of us that do a lot of 1 or 2 night stays this can add up over the year. It is not a benefit that is going to set your world on fire, but it seems better then having to choose which we value more.

To answer a previous question, the agent stated that this would be a free benefit and not require a special rate. He also did not mention suites, though I did not ask about them. That would be a nice upgrade to the program at certain properties.
That just leaves one thing to my speculation - free spa!

Personally I just couldn't get it why HHonors declines to offer best available rooms to diamond members. SPG does for its platinum members; IHG does for its royal ambassador members...
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:10 am

"The kicker is that you then also get the bonus points"

It's all a function of who's paying for it

I value the extra 1,000 points at about $5 --- by comparison a free breakfast for 2 can be worth at least 20-25 bucks at an HGI, FT or full Hilton.

A couple of weeks ago, under the current program I got over 9,000 Hilton points plus something like 2,500 airline points for a two night weekend stay at an HGI... and my room was booked at a deep discount rate.

Bob H
If this took place in 2011, I will be curious about what to add up to this equation - 9000 points for a 2-night stay with a deep discount rate? Something is missing here.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
If this took place in 2011, I will be curious about what to add up to this equation - 9000 points for a 2-night stay with a deep discount rate? Something is missing here.
Q1 Promo would net 7000 HH bonus points plus 50% diamond bonus on base points. That's 2000 = 1.5* base points and base points = pre-tax cost of stay *10 so the total stay cost 2000/(1.5*10) = $133. $133 for a two night stay is pretty good.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I just finished a 4 night stay in a full service Hilton with a group of 20 or so; probably 5th straight year at this property. In past years all Diamonds and Golds were given lounge access, this year only Diamonds were allowed; Golds were given breakfast coupons for the restaurant (they were pissed). In addition Diamonds were given free appitizer/soft drinks coupons for the weekend which has never happened before (lounge closed). It certainly seemed this property was trying to distinguish between the two levels more than they ever have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.