Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: _kurt
Hilton Points Purchase Promotions
FAQ

How often does Hilton offer promotions on purchased points?

What is the typical / best offer?

Hilton frequently offers a 100% bonus on points purchases. There may be a minimum purchase required to receive the bonus.

How many points can I purchase in a calendar year?
The normal restriction in Hilton T&C limits each member to purchasing 80,000 points per year. Typically the bonus points are awarded after the restriction is enforced, meaning with a 100% bonus promotion you can purchase 80,000 points and receive another 80,000 as a bonus for a total of 160,000. Sometimes for promotions later in the year, Hilton will temporarily raise the limit on purchased points to 160,000 per year. Meaning, if you had purchased 80,000 in a previous promotion you could now purchase 80,000 more. Or, if it was the first points purchase of the year on your account you could purchase 160,000 and receive a bonus of 160,000.

What are the rules on purchasing points from a new / recently created Hilton account?

Posted by jbeckett in a now-locked thread:
From the Hilton Honors terms and conditions: https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/terms/

A new Hilton Honors Member may purchase Points 30 days after enrollment if the account reflects activity including a stay (as defined herein) or earning Hilton Honors Points through a Hilton Hilton Honors Marketing Partner. After 90 days of enrollment, a new Member is eligible to purchase Points regardless of their account activity.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Current Points Purchase Promotion" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Maximum Limit to Buy HHonors Points Raised from 20,000 to 40,000 Points/Year

After the June 2003 jump in the number of points required for some of the best HHonors awards -- from 25k to 50k more HHonors points -- HHonors apparently noted that they could make more money by raising the purchase limit for points and that there was a need for people to find a way to make up the point shortfaul.

Last year there was a maximum purchase limit of 20k points per year. This year the maximum purchase limit is raised to 40k points per year. The purchase price per point is discounted 25% if you buy points in 10k point lots; normally each HHonors point costs 1.25 cents to buy and when bought in bulks of 10,000 or more the cost falls to 1.00 cents per point.

I don't know when this went into effect, but at this time last year, the limit was 20k/year.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:33 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The purchase price per point is discounted 25% if you buy points in 10k point lots; normally each HHonors point costs 1.25 cents to buy and when bought in bulks of 10,000 or more the cost falls to 1.00 cents per point.
0.25 is a 20% discount from 1.25, but thanks for the info.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question Purchasing points for others?

Maybe it's my lack of sleep, but I could have sworn there used to be a way to purchase points for other HH members. Can anyone point me in the right direction if it's still possible?
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:58 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
How long for purchased points to be on account?

I am a few thousand points short for a free stay I would like to use this weekend.

If I purchase the points on line is the posting 'real time' or is there a 24 hour delay or something like that?

Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I am a few thousand points short for a free stay I would like to use this weekend.

If I purchase the points on line is the posting 'real time' or is there a 24 hour delay or something like that?

Thanks!

Bought a few to top off last year and it was immediate.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
Bought a few to top off last year and it was immediate.
Thanks!
Old May 19, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can someone enlighten me where on HHonor site I can purchase HHonor points?

Need to purchase 1000 pts for a redemption. I searched up and down HHonor site to try to find the tab where it let you do it online but I wasn't able to find it. When I clicked the Purchase points under account service, it pulled up a totally irrevelant page, telling you there are 2 types of accounts to join!

Can you do it online, or must you do it thru the customer service?

If one can do it online, anyone knows where it is hidden?
Old May 19, 2007, 4:32 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
Need to purchase 1000 pts for a redemption. I searched up and down HHonor site to try to find the tab where it let you do it online but I wasn't able to find it. When I clicked the Purchase points under account service, it pulled up a totally irrevelant page, telling you there are 2 types of accounts to join!

Can you do it online, or must you do it thru the customer service?

If one can do it online, anyone knows where it is hidden?
You can do it online

Click on members services in left navigation bar

Purchase points the last choice under account services

MSV
Old May 19, 2007, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. That was where I checked at first. Earlier it did not work and it was working now and I made the purchase.

How long for the points to show up in your account online?
Old May 19, 2007, 10:56 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
It's instant.
Old May 20, 2007, 4:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
If you haven't already paid, try calling and simply asking for the points. 1,000 points is well within the allotment of CSR's freebies.

Oh, and by ask, I mean, think of a good reason for them to give it to you. The reason doesn't have to be good, and success is primarily based on the whim (mood) of your CSR, so if you don't succeed at first don't bark up that tree anymore, just call back.
Old May 21, 2007, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
If you haven't already paid, try calling and simply asking for the points. 1,000 points is well within the allotment of CSR's freebies.

Oh, and by ask, I mean, think of a good reason for them to give it to you. The reason doesn't have to be good, and success is primarily based on the whim (mood) of your CSR, so if you don't succeed at first don't bark up that tree anymore, just call back.
Well, I wish I have known. I only needed 97 pt and now have 903 pt in the balance. Oh well, next time I know better.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Point Purchase > Minimum pts one can purchase is?

What would be the minimum points that I could purchase to keep someones account alive before the 12 month window hits?

this is strictly a transaction to keep the points in the account alive?

thanks
Old Jun 28, 2007, 5:53 am

https://www.hiltonhhonors.com/purcha...Order_pop.aspx
Old Nov 12, 2007, 12:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Need to buy 40k points for 2008....options?

Hi all!

I just burned nearly 300k points for our last trip to BUD/AMS and we need 265,000 for our (yearly) trip to the Hilton in Cabo San Lucas.

I have nearly 200k right now and there is a possibility that I will not earn 265k before the first week of February 2008. I have a couple more trips before then, but a few of the places I am traveling do not have Hilton properties....argh.

[And by the way, I am one of the ones that were extremely effected when Hilton changed their rules about having enough points in their account before actually making the reservation. I have used this for years and have never cancelled once....just FYI.]

Anyway, I know you can buy 40,000 once each calendar year for $400, which considering our trip is a no-brainer, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has any additional ideas to get at least another 20,000 points (I'm pretty sure I will get another 20k before Feb 08) instead of buying them.

We do have a Hilton Honors AMEX.

Any ideas?

Dawn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.