Hilton Dresden {DEU}

Old Jan 1, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
Just completed a 4 night stay over Christmas. My fiance and I particularly enjoyed the health club after a long day of sightseeing. The Christmas markets close to the hotel where also a lot of fun. No real upgrade for a Diamond but to be expected as the hotel seemed fairly busy.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:07 am

Dear User jonexplores,

Thank you very much fortaking the time to write this review regarding your recent visitat the Hilton Dresden. With pleasure we read that you enjoyed your stay with usand that our services and facilities met your expectations. We very muchappreciate your comments as they help us to continuously improve our services. We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards
Hilton Dresden Team

Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I would like to welcome the Hilton Dresden Team to joining and posting on the Hilton thread.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by tda1986
I stayed here about a week ago with my wife. No upgrade as HH Gold, though we were already in an executive room (cheaper than standard with points). The property is fairly mediocre, though the location is great. The elevators could be a long wait, particularly from the executive lounge floor. Also, I was not a fan of the radiator heating. The front desk seemed to be perpetually occupied with a stream of guests, but the concierge was quite helpful in arranging the shipment of a package back home and calling a taxi for us in the morning.
Upon further reflection "mediocre" has too negative a connotation. It would be more correct to state that the property was average for a Hilton. Aside from my personal dislike for radiator heating and the slow elevators (both very minor issues), this is a good property in a central Old Town location for sightseeing.

Unfortunately, my praise of the concierge came too soon. Our package arrived this evening, but it wasn't our item! It appears that the concierge sent us another guest's bottle of wine and presumably sent our wooden candle arch to that guest. Needless to say, we're really disappointed. We were very excited to find a souvenir we really liked in the Christmas markets, but it looks like we're never going to enjoy it. I've contacted Hilton about the problem and will provide an update once this issue has been resolved.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:59 pm

Is Dresden (and the Hilton) "safe" for people of color?

Going by the lack of traffic on this thread, I presume Dresden is not a very popular place for Hilton FlyerTalk members to visit. Nevertheless, could anyone throw some light on how safe is it for a person of color to visit Dresden and stay at the Hilton?

I will be in the area and was debating stopping in Dresden for a couple of nights - but mindful that Dresden is a bastion of the Pegida movement and Eastern Germany's attitudes to those who are not Anglo Saxons, I am not sure whether a stay in Desden will be somewhat reckless.

PS. I was also looking at the Westin Bellevue in Dresden, which appears to be at a very similar price range but a different location. Any suggestion as to which may be a better property for what is essentially a vacation stay?

Last edited by shonamac; Mar 18, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, TK E+, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by golmaale
Going by the lack of traffic on this thread, I presume Dresden is not a very popular place for Hilton FlyerTalk members to visit. Nevertheless, could anyone throw some light on how safe is it for a person of color to visit Dresden and stay at the Hilton?

I will be in the area and was debating stopping in Dresden for a couple of nights - but mindful that Dresden is a bastion of the Pegida movement and Eastern Germany's attitudes to those who are not Anglo Saxons, I am not sure whether a stay in Desden will be somewhat reckless.

PS. I was also looking at the Westin Bellevue in Dresden, which appears to be at a very similar price range but a different location. Any suggestion as to which may be a better property for what is essentially a vacation stay?
Hiton Dresden is one of the worse Hiltons in Germany. Don't care about your safety in the Hotel, and at the daytime in the center of Dresden, where the hotel is also placed. In the evening, I would defintiv be careful.

East Germany is defintively different and I am ashamed to say it to you as a German.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Hilton Dresden Review

As there's a few slightly odd responses on this thread, just though I'd give my review of a one-night stay last week, as a UK-based diamond member:

Stayed on a Sunday night and booked the cheapest twin room for a very good rate ~70. It's usually a fair bit more expensive.

Pre-upgraded to an Exec room so I checked in on the app and chose a room with a view of the FrauenKirche - highly recommended as it's an impressive building to have directly outside your window.

We were driving and so took the car directly into the underground carpark - you could also unload by the front door if you wish, and I'd recommend that if you have large suitcases as there's a couple of steps to the parking lift.
The train station isn't too far away and there's plenty of taxis around to ferry you.

Staff were friendly, check-in and out very easy, nice welcome letter, bottles of water in the room, fruit, 'guide' for the Exec lounge times. The room is a bit 90's and not huge but perfectly clean and pleasant with a modern TV.

The Exec lounge is available all day for coffees and water etc., and in the evening they had some tasty German sparkling wine plus all the usual beers and wines - possibly spirits too, I didn't notice sorry. A nice selection of meats, cheeses, salads, bread and a couple of hot dishes (goulash and a pasta/dumpling). As it was a Sunday, there was plenty on offer for the 10-15 people knocking around - I suppose it might be more of a scrum on busier nights.

The hotel is right in the centre of town and perfectly located for a sightseeing wander around the cobbled streets. The architecture in Dresden in truly breathtaking and at night everything is dimly lit and extremely atmospheric. There's a number of nice restaurants in the square outside the hotel so you can take your pick, and mix it up if you're there for a number of days.

Breakfast was the usual Hilton affair, perfectly decent although somewhat busy. They also provide the standard Exec lounge offering if you want a quieter and lighter start.

Didn't have time to use the fitness centre I'm afraid so can't give any feedback on the pool, sauna etc.

In summary, I highly recommend the Hilton Dresden, and Dresden in general, if you want a little city break in this area for a day or two. The only reason I can understand any criticism towards the hotel would be if people had been paying very high prices when they stayed, but if you get a decent sale price then I think you'll enjoy it.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Stayed here a few weeks back on an overnight stay. As a HH Diamond, was upgraded to an exec king from twin @ rate of 100E. The executive lounge is a bit small but has a decent selection in the afternoon. Breakfast was great downstairs at the restaurant. The location of the hotel is excellent, you are a steps away from the main square and right in the center of old town.

Parking Tip: Drop off your bags, there is temporary parking in front of the hotel. Then head to 400m to Polizeirevier Dresden-Mitte (Dresden Police station) in front of it there is a huge parking lot. At 6E/24 hours is a better deal. Safe 5 minute walk back to the hotel.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Mixed feelings

One night stay, booked deluxe. HH Diamond (on stays, not CC, status matched or similar etc).

arrived very early - 9:15am. Was informed at CKI that I was "very early" and my room would not be ready. Askin if any other room was ready, the response was that the hotel was very busy and guests can stay in their rooms until noon. They'd be happy to store my luggage. I asked about exec lounge access to get work done, I was quite firmly told that breakfast service was still taking place, and my room rate included breakfast but only for the day after. I said I didn't want to eat, just have a water and a good space to work. I was told no, there were public areas I could sit in. I then did the rare thing of protesting at CKI, that for someone staying at a lot of Hiltons I never had experienced something comparable - and that I would just have a drink and not eat.

The supervisor waded in and stated that the lounge was very busy with breakfast service, so space was a problem. We agreed I could use the lounge after breakfast time. I decided not to push it further, especially as of course I was indeed early, and it is their call on what they can offer. As a farewell I was told that they were unable to call me when the room was ready (I asked) I'd need to enquire with staff again later.

​​​​​​I decided to settle in the business centre, right outside the lounge. Lounge was empty. I called downstairs and reported that the lounge was in fact empty. I believe it was the supervisor I spoke to again. Things picked up from there: the lounge host was informed for me to be let into lounge, and the host was very friendly and helpful. Not long after my room key was delivered to me - a pleasant surprise after that start! Even though I still wonder whether I have a sense of over-entitlement that somehow mislead me here.

Welcome gift: Apple, banana, kiwi.

​​​​​​afternoon tea: basic! Two sorts of simple cakes and a fruit bowl.

​​​​upgrade from deluxe to executive floor. No view of much, unless the office building right opposite (5m) counts.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:42 am

Hi Treppenlaeufer, I don't think you will find it will be any better later.The last time I stayed lounge became a zoo with nothing much on offer. I am currently 2.5 hours away in a Doubletree and I am being treated like royalty. You just have to go further east.Oh and you have pleasure of city tax when you leave.

Basset
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by basset44
Hi Treppenlaeufer, I don't think you will find it will be any better later.The last time I stayed lounge became a zoo with nothing much on offer. I am currently 2.5 hours away in a Doubletree and I am being treated like royalty. You just have to go further east.Oh and you have pleasure of city tax when you leave.

Basset
The DT Wroclaw is brand new and it's unreasonable to expect great Polish service in Germany. Like comparing Asian hotels with the US.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:17 pm

Sorry, but we used to have great service in most of Europe many years ago. I remember being a lowly Gold and still being given a room I could only dream about having nowadays in Hilton Cannes along with Paris and a drink voucher and discount on food.

Race to the bottom, but you can still find some Gems.

Bassett
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by basset44
Sorry, hugolover but we used to have great service in most of Europe many years ago. I remember being a lowly Gold and still being given a room I could only dream about having nowadays in Hilton Cannes along with Paris and a drink voucher and discount on food.

Race to the bottom, but you can still find some Gems.

Bassett
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:46 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Smile

Sorry, Treppenlaeufer, for your experience at check-in. You ask whether your expectations might be grounded in over entitlement. Difficult to say. I have had positive experiences when I stayed there last December. But we did not turn up that early .
On the other hand, they could have checked with the EL host before outright declining your access to the EL. Space problem would count here. But your entitlement of breakfast only in the morning appears a bit cheap to me - for a Diamond.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zurich
Sorry, Treppenlaeufer, for your experience at check-in. You ask whether your expectations might be grounded in over entitlement. Difficult to say. I have had positive experiences when I stayed there last December. But we did not turn up that early .
On the other hand, they could have checked with the EL host before outright declining your access to the EL. Space problem would count here. But your entitlement of breakfast only in the morning appears a bit cheap to me - for a Diamond.
To follow up with how my stay continued, things improved.
Staff was very helpful and proactive to help me to correct a little mishap (plenty of bonus points for that!)

Room faced a cobbled street with a number of cars racing through in the morning. Well, that ensured an early start for me.

Pool and sauna areas were enjoyable.

Evening offer in lounge was OK for bread and cold cuts, but the hot offer might as well be scrapped (some warmed up breaded cheese). No spirits. So following from the very limited afternoon tea offering, the lounge is definitely not one that stands out. Reading material in lounge sub-par. All quite average.

despite being fully booked for the night after my stay, I was granted a 14:00 CKO from a very friendly night receptionist.

Would I return? Not for any special stays, but as a solid business hotel yes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.