Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: HH D
Originally Posted by scubaccr
My wording was specific, the Hilton started allowing full restaurant brekkie for HHDs only this year.
I believe "brekkie" didn't make it to the list of most annoying words of 2015, but to me it still feels like an insult to the kitchen and restaurant staff.

In the past I've been staying a couple of times at the Amsterdam Hilton (but not this year, mainly because they do not offer low occupancy rates, yet they do host busloads of tourists at times like that).

Every time I was allowed to have a breakfast at the restaurant based on HHD status.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by BotB

-An excellent alternative if you don't necessarily need to be in Amsterdam itself is the nearby Hilton Hague. See the associated FT thread for reviews. Very good pricing compared to the AMS hotels in general and not too far away (IIRC around 40 minutes more from Schipol by train.) Outstanding hotel and excellent HHonors treatment in a great city that gives you all the Dutch experience but in a more manageable bite size chunk than Amsterdam (or if Amsterdam is a bit too full on for some and you want a nicer more relaxed city with similar flair/canals etc...).......
Thank you for the recommendation.
Thanks to you, I am at the moment enjoying den Haag (and Delft) and the Hilton Hague.
Very nice city and very nice hotel.
I got an executive room facing the inner courtyard and it's fully quiet at night (even with windows open) - I slept so well last night.
I like the lay-out of the room - desk, tea making facilities, and cupboards in a separate area.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Good information indeed. I have a one night stay here for next July because I cannot find a reasonable rate for the WA Amsterdam on that particular night. I will spend one night in The Hague, then three nights at the WA. I have been checking the WA rates daily hoping to find a basic award night for that date, The Hague is my back up plan. Perhaps I will purposely stay the first night in The Hague since this property has a strong reputation of decent Diamond member treatment. ^

Originally Posted by helosc
Thank you for the recommendation.
Thanks to you, I am at the moment enjoying den Haag (and Delft) and the Hilton Hague.
Very nice city and very nice hotel.
I got an executive room facing the inner courtyard and it's fully quiet at night (even with windows open) - I slept so well last night.
I like the lay-out of the room - desk, tea making facilities, and cupboards in a separate area.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I would personally keep the reservation for the Hilton Hague.
You'll get to see one more city (and you can easily visit Delft from den Haag - about 25 minutes tram ride - the tram stop is very close to the hotel).
Very easy to get to Hague from Schiphol - about half an hour by train.
If you are interested in Diamond benefits :
Booked standard room - upgraded to executive room, courtyard view, 5. floor.
Water in room but no snacks/gift.
Lounge has white, red,rose, and sparkling wine. Vodka, gin, and whisky (from 5 pm).
The food in the lounge (from 6 pm) is not that good but enough for a little pre-dinner snack (2 kinds of canapees, 3 kinds of cheeses (but no bread, crackers), small dishes of salad, vegetable sticks, nuts, and 1 warm dish (looked like chicken nuggets???).
I arrived around noon and could check in immediately.
Breakfast also in restaurant (very nice).
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ptownca
In my experience, AMS is one of the places you want to avoid a car at all costs. Boston being another if you are not familiar with the one ways and Boston driving style. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030...sr_1_1&sr=8-1# should give you an idea. It is where I learned to drive, hence the lack of fear factor

I've driven in downtown Manhattan, Paris, lived and drove in London, as well as all the major CA cities,so I am not shy . My honest take after 10+ visits to AMS is the issue is not the level of traffic, it is the bicycles and lack of parking. Even as a pedestrian, you need to pay careful attention to the bikes.

So, grab a cab when needed. They are not cheap, but clean and usually a Mercedes or other luxury vehicle.

If I were adventurous, I'd go for a motorcycle, if you are an experienced moto head
You were absolutely correct. I've never seen so many bicycles in my life. Used Uber a bunch of times and they were usually high end cars.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Sisosig
I believe "brekkie" didn't make it to the list of most annoying words of 2015, but to me it still feels like an insult to the kitchen and restaurant staff.

In the past I've been staying a couple of times at the Amsterdam Hilton (but not this year, mainly because they do not offer low occupancy rates, yet they do host busloads of tourists at times like that).

Every time I was allowed to have a breakfast at the restaurant based on HHD status.
HHD members are allowed to use the executive lounge and/or Roberto's (restaurant in the lobby)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
First time to Amsterdam: Doubletree NDSM Wharf vs. Doubletree Centraal Station

Wife and I are headed to Amsterdam September 9-12 in advance of a meeting I have there for the balance of that week.
She's never been, and I haven't been in 30+ years...looking to stay on Hilton points (or Marriott, Hyatt, SPG, etc) if possible. Right now the only decent redemption places for those dates are the two double tree hotels mentioned above.
As two (virtual) first timers with a long weekend to spend and do the typical touristy things, which would you recommend? Wife and I are both in our 40's and in good shape, so plan on walking/biking a lot and would like easy access to the touristy spots.
Hotel location is more important than the hotel itself, but would like something fairly quiet and definitely clean with a comfortable bed.

Thoughts greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:43 pm

No contest. Central Station - MUCH better location, good modern hotel, good breakfast, extremely convenient for both city and airport.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: United GS MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I haven't stayed at the Doubletree Centraal Station, but coworkers have and they all liked it.

I stayed at the Doubletree NDSM a couple of years ago. While it was a nice hotel overall, the rooms are extremely small, even by European standards and it's not in the best area for easy access to sightseeing. You'll be slave to the ferry schedule to get to Centraal Station or you'll have to take taxis/Uber places.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Centraal Station for location, especially for tourist stuff. You don't want to be forced to take the ferry back and forth.

Suggest you keep checking availability in other programs as well.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I stayed at the Centraal station a few years ago and liked it. One of the best upgrades I had and I was in my late 40s at the time and walked everyplace. If you don't mind walking most things like the Ann Frank house are an easy walk. Only time I didn't walk was taking the train to and from the airport and very convenient to get to the airport.

Only complaint I had was the lounge was overcrowded, but at that time they gave all gold's access and it's my understanding that they have a different breakfast option and no longer have lounge access so that problem is gone.

There's a thread with some reason posts and some people have complained about upgrades but if you are looking just for location this is a good hotel.

You may be able to find a decent $ rate as well and not have to burn points
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Centraal Station hands down. I've only ever considered staying at the DT NDSM wharf. Everytime it comes into the playing field it gets knocked out immediately due to its location (even though it's priced accordingly).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire elite, Qatar Privilege Club Gold, Hyatt Explorer, Nordic Choice Gold
Originally Posted by 2035
No contest. Central Station - MUCH better location, good modern hotel, good breakfast, extremely convenient for both city and airport.

Sharing the exact opinion.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
OK, thanks everyone! I booked the Centraal station. Right now I've let my Hilton status slip to Silver, but could easily get it to gold with a few more stays.
I've also booked the Hyatt Regency (I'm globalist) and will decide which hotel to stay at as the date draws closer...a little worried about the Hyatt location vs. Centraal station.
OTOH, the Hyatt seems to be more quiet and has a little charm vs. the white rooms and possible noise of the Centraal...

thanks everyone so much for your opinions, as usual, the FT crew is a HUGE help!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
If you're open to considering the Hilton Amsterdam, I actually personally quite like that property. I find it very relaxing and it's about a 15-20 minute tram ride into Centraal which is probably a little too congested for my liking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.