stays that don't post...

Subscribe
Lets compare Hilton and Starwood...

Hilton...I call HHonors to request credit for a stay that hasn't posted yet. They first check their computers to see if it has posted (uhhh, no, it hasn't posted, I believe that's why I called in the first place). OK, good, we confirm that it hasn't posted yet. I'm informed I need to fax in my reciept. Fine by me, I go to work the next day and fax it in. Waiting, waiting, bingo!, my stay posts about 7 days later.

Starwood...I go to their website and fill out the online form with all the info (date, $$, location, etc.). I click 'send form,' and 10 minutes later I recieve an email stating that they have credited my account for 1 stay and xxxx points. No reciepts, no faxing, that easy.

Hilton, are you listening?
Hilton will even go one step further and take your word for it.

I have had several occasions where I call and the conversation goes this way:

Hilton HHonors, this is _ _ _ _ how may I help you?

Me: I noticed I am missing a stay for Hilton Garden Inn, Seattle, WA on November _ _ , 2001.

HHonors: What was the # of nights and amount spent?

Me: 3 nights, $ 340.

HHonors: Did you choose an airline for miles/double dip?

Me: why yes, AA xxx1234

HHonors: Hold on while I post this stay.

Me: Wow, I can see it already on your website, thanks.

It all depends on who answers the phone!!!!
chix, I guess I'm just unlucky, everytime I've done it I've had to fax in my reciepts
When they say fax it to.... Just smile, say thanks, hang up & call back.

Maybe you will get an HHonors angel too!
JJeffrey -- Actually, Hilton has the same option of submitting your missing credits electronically through http://www.hiltonhhonors.com . Log into your account, click on "Member Services", then select "Missing Stay Request".

And chix is right, you can usually just call in your missing stays. In fact, both Hilton and Starwood allow this up to a certain limit of stays/points.

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 12-04-2001).]
One lesson I have learned on FT this year: Always call back when you don't like what you are hearing!
Also make sure you keep your reservation number if you want the on-line booking bonus. There is no other way for them to check that you booked on line apparently.

....there goes another 1500 points.....
Everyone, thanks for clearing up my misconceptions. After I submitted my Starwood request, I searched on hiltonhhonors.com to see if they offered the same service. I found nothing, but now I know where to look! And it's not that I didn't like the answer I was getting on the phone, I just assumed there was no other way to do it. But we all know what happens when you assume...