Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Honeymoon Thread: 2001-2010

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ediddy
Is that for Golds now too? Wasn't it called VIP awards since you had to be Diamond VIP to get it? The value of Diamond decreases more and more every day. Is there any difference left between Gold/Diamond?
Sorry to break it to you...but VIP rewards have been for SILVER/Gold/Diamond for at LEAST the last 4-5 years (and probably much longer), even prior to the category level restructuring that happened to create the level 6 category and the increased point requirements for global rewards. This is NOT new...
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, OnePass, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, Hertz Gold
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately I am silver status. I have the Hilton AMEX and have slowly accumulated the points over the past 7 years. I hardly ever stay at the actual hotels (unless its pricelined) so all my points are accumulated via AMEX, erewards, mypoints or the like. I guess that puts me in an average of of about 33K points per year - far cry from the required 60k points needed for gold status. I guess I have to either go for a VIP reward or push hard in '06 (honeymoon is not until 2007) to gain gold status.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by zachs18
Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately I am silver status. I have the Hilton AMEX and have slowly accumulated the points over the past 7 years. I hardly ever stay at the actual hotels (unless its pricelined) so all my points are accumulated via AMEX, erewards, mypoints or the like. I guess that puts me in an average of of about 33K points per year - far cry from the required 60k points needed for gold status. I guess I have to either go for a VIP reward or push hard in '06 (honeymoon is not until 2007) to gain gold status.
If you spend $20K in a year on the Hilton Amex...you'll get Gold status. Try to put some/all (realizing ALL is not likely an option) of your wedding expenses on the HHonors Amex.

Don't worry though, the reward cost is the same for silver or gold (inclusing ALL VIP rewards). The only difference you'll notice will be the "extras" (possible room upgrade, free breakfast...). If you tell them you're on honeymoon, you might find that you'll get some "extras" anyway (depends on the hotel).
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by zachs18
I guess I have to either go for a VIP reward or push hard in '06 (honeymoon is not until 2007) to gain gold status.
As several people have pointed out, the VIP rewards are available to Silvers as well.

Mike
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
there will be a new maui property soon.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 2:45 pm

Programs: EBD
Hilton Fiji to open

If you like the South Pacific and your honeymoon takes place post July, you can go to the new Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa where you can use GLONP2.
They already confirm reservations from July 1st.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130057
http://www.hiltonworldresorts.com/re...rau/index.html

Edited to update link

Last edited by Douglas; Feb 10, 2006 at 2:49 pm
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:32 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
When in 2007 is your honeymoon? Gold via Amex (or some other promo) should be quiet obtainable by then.

So far, suggestions have been:
Hawaii
Rome
Cancun

But http://www.hiltonworldresorts.com/ categorizes no less than 44 resorts as romantic, including Bali, Barbados, and Los Cabos. And don't forget Sedona -- it has had some very good reports.

#1 recommendation: Book early. Book as soon as you can. Decide where you want (top 3?) and book now. When central res tells you that you can't book this far ahead, call the hotel, make friends with a manager, and book NOW. Then send him/her a thank you note.

As I pitch every time: if calling international, http://www.1010phonerates.com/ will show you cheap and easy rates.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Feb 10, 2006 at 3:53 pm
Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: EBD
Hilton Sanya crossed my mind too as it was under construction when I visited Sanya last year. For only 10k/night you could stay three weeks at fancy Yalong Bay

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=SYXHIHI
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429669

Edited to add link again

Last edited by Douglas; Feb 10, 2006 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 10, 2006, 4:32 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Hilton Maldives

Hilton Maldives would be the way to go. My wife and I did that. We paid for it though since the hotel was not accepting points in 2005. I don't think any other Hilton even comes close to the luxury, style and privacy of the one in the Maldives.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA
As for Rome, while I like where I live, it sure depends when you plan to come. I live almost next to the Cavalieri, that's a very nice property. However, I would not come in Rome between november-march and in july.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 5:54 pm

I´m surpised no-one has suggested Paris. I mean Paris Hilton is so romantic.

But honestly. Hawaii as it might sound nice to an American, isn´t that special if you have the whole world as an option. I don´t mean to say that there´s something wrong with Hawaii, but given the choice you have, is that really where you want to go? Hawaii sounds to me as the place where American people end up going no matter what. The same MickeyDs, SevenElevens and shopping malls you have at home. Maybe it´s just me who thinks most of America looks the same? Same malls, same stores, same car-rental shops, same highway signs. Don´t get me wrong, that´s ok, but it´s not very insipiring.

Your hotel choice is secondary to your destination choice in my opinion. If you (American, I assume) want to impress your future wife, take her to someplace totally different, yet having the "Hilton familiarity" around you. Rooms might be smaller than in the US, currency is different, but who cares? You´re on one of your honeymoons. That´s all just fun and surroundings should make a difference too. Right?
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:31 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Originally Posted by Douglas
Hilton Sanya crossed my mind too as it was under construction when I visited Sanya last year. For only 10k/night you could stay three weeks at fancy Yalong Bay

http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/i...tyhocn=SYXHIHI
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429669

Edited to add link again
True, but not a good place for a honeymoon. I went there as well and stayed inn one of the local suite hotels that was also 5 star. I beleiv a few blocks from the crowne plaza and newly opened hilton.

IMHO< I did not really enjoy it as much as I thought I couldve. Try a different place
Old Feb 11, 2006, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by gvaughn
Sorry to break it to you...but VIP rewards have been for SILVER/Gold/Diamond for at LEAST the last 4-5 years (and probably much longer), even prior to the category level restructuring that happened to create the level 6 category and the increased point requirements for global rewards. This is NOT new...
No, it used to be only for Diamonds only at one point. The first year I made diamond, 1999 or 2000 I was excited because I could use the awards. I think they also used to be called Diamond VIP awards and come to think of it it used to be called Silver, Gold and Diamond VIP levels as well, meaning VIP awards were for VIP members only.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 4:13 pm

No, it used to be only for Diamonds only at one point.
It may have been AT SOME POINT...but it hasn't been that way for quite some time...YEARS to be more precise.

The first year I made diamond, 1999 or 2000 I was excited because I could use the awards.
1999 is now 7 years ago.

I think they also used to be called Diamond VIP awards and come to think of it it used to be called Silver, Gold and Diamond VIP levels as well, meaning VIP awards were for VIP members only.
Yes...ALL of those levels (as low as SILVER) are VIP levels and are therefore eligible for VIP rewards. That's my point.

Honestly I can't tell you how long VIP rewards were available for all VIP levels (silver/gold/platinum)...but they were definitely available at least as early as Summer 2002. I KNOW...because I used two rewards for my Honeymoon which was in the Summer of 2002. So whenever this "change" occurred...it is at LEAST 3.5 years old by now and probably more like 4-5 years old (as I originally posted).

Edit:

After doing a google search...it's possible that as late as 2003 the VIP rewards were for diamond only - as some posts seem to indicate. I have NEVER been an HHonors diamond, and probably never will as I don't get to travel that much,...but as an HGVC owner..I may have had access to the VIP rewards that a normal HHonors Silver (and Gold) VIP wouldn't have had access to during my Summer 2002 honeymoon. However...

It is NOT something NEW that has changed to water down the Diamond level, though your comment implied such:
The value of Diamond decreases more and more every day. Is there any difference left between Gold/Diamond?
It's been around for QUITE some time now...

Back to the original topic...

Last edited by gvaughn; Feb 11, 2006 at 4:27 pm
Old Feb 11, 2006, 6:19 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
It would help to know how far you want to travel for your honeymoon.

I did mine in 2002 and went to Rhodes, Greece as well as Malta. The Hilton hotels in both place, at 25K/night are quite a deal.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Rhodes

I also went to Athens in 2004 and stay at the Hilton again on points. Again at 25K a night...Fabulous hotel.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=Athens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.