Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Marriott Rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Honors versus Marriott Rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2001, 10:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by I like it free:
I am not going to compare different program credit cards. They all are about the same.</font>
FWIW, they are not the same.

Marriott Visa has annual fee after the first year and earns only 1 point per $ spent outside the Marriott family of hotels.

HHonors has both AmEx and Visa, no annual fee on either of them, with 3 points per $ spent on AmEx and 2 points per $ spent on Visa (also for charges outside the HHonors family of hotels; with higher point/$ spent ratio if used at HHonors hotels).
Old Jul 3, 2001, 9:43 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I agree 100% with I Like It Free - Hilton program is much more generous - most recentky with the 2 50K promos. that were run, I earned 100K - enough for the 6 free nights in Hawaii.

Furthermore, award availability is excellent at Hilton - just last night i called and reserved Hawaii for 6 days - over THANKSGIVING - there is no way I could have done that as Platinum at Marriott.

I have 13 more nights I have to do at Marriott to requal. for PLT, and only 12 more for Hilton to get Diamond - guess where my priority is?

Frankly, I am fed up with Marriott ..
Old Jul 4, 2001, 6:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

I agree with Flashes except I would change IMHO that Marriott customer service is better but not by much and that Marriott gives you a better chance at redeeming awards b/c they havent given away the house by giving pts and golds to everyone who makes four stays per year. I like Hh but have to work so much harder to use my benefits/redemptions than I do at MR

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Flashes1:
Hilton IMO has a better frequent stayer program and customer service.

Marriott has nicer hotels and in better locations.

Determine what's more important to you and patronize them.
</font>
Old Aug 9, 2001, 9:41 pm

Hilton HHonors vs. Marriott Rewards

I am having a hard time deciding between establishing loyalty with Hilton's program or Marriott's program. I am a Platinum flyer with Delta but I've never been consistently loyal to one hotel program. I've missed out on a lot of points in the last three years because of it. I typically stay in Hampton or Courtyard Marriott level hotels. I'd like some feedback on which program is the better one.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I would say Hilton.

With Hilton, you can make Gold and be entitled to room upgrades, concierge level access, etc. with only 16 stays per year. As someone who does a lot of one-night stays, this means a lot to me.

With Marriott, credits are based on nights only and it takes 15 nights to make Silver (for which I get nothing but a points bonus) and 50 to make Gold (which gives me a slightly better bonus - an extra 5%, I believe.)

As a Hilton Gold, I've always got a snack waiting for me in my room, often a room upgrade (often to a suite), and breakfast. With Marriott, I get none of these.

With Hilton, I get Points and Miles (and more miles for car rental, too), and bonuses galore. With Marriott, I get to choose between Points or Miles and I only get bonuses when I'm doing Points. I also have to preregister for every bonus offer out there.

I think it ultimately depends on how many stays/nights you do per year (and I would evaluate each separately) and what is important to you.

For me, it is a no-brainer. Hilton wins over Marriott hands-down.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Also, if you are Platinum with Delta, Hilton probably offers some type of accelerated automatic Silver, get to Gold quick program. I know that AA's Platinums get this deal as do some of the other airlines.
Old Aug 9, 2001, 10:13 pm

Let me put it this way.

The exact post was posted on the Marriott board a few months back. Hilton turned out to be the winner in the comparison.

Old Aug 9, 2001, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Welcome to FT nashvegas.

I would say it depends upon your needs and travels. I love Hilton but check out the boards and decide for yourself.

Old Aug 10, 2001, 8:06 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Here is a link to get automatic Hilton Gold. I like the HHonors program. They have several different class hotels and all of them earn points,miles and count the same toward teir levels. We made Diamond July this year and are very pleased!

http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/enroll/...d.asp?id=ewrd1

Also be sure and check the prices for Honors hotels other than Hampton Inn. Sometimes the other hotels are actually cheaper in price and you get more FF miles for the stay.

------------------
What do you mean you flew LowCost Airlines just because it was cheaper and a direct flight? What about the MILES?

[This message has been edited by MoreMilesPlease (edited 08-10-2001).]
Old Aug 10, 2001, 8:39 am

nashvegas -- Welcome to the Board!

This topic has been discussed quite extensively in this Forum, so you may want to check the following threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001114.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001396.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/002169.html
Old Aug 10, 2001, 12:11 pm

HHonors gives you elite bonus points on all the family of hotels while Marriott Rewards gives bonus points on full-service hotels only.
Comparing the family of hotels I like Hilton Garden Inn more than Courtyard, and Homewood Suites more than Residence Inn. Fairfield Inn and Hampton Inn are somewhat the same. As for Hiltons and Marriotts, their level of service and comfort vary a lot from location to location so they are quite more difficult to compare.
Old Aug 10, 2001, 8:56 pm

Hilton has Adam & Co. 'nuff said.
Old Aug 11, 2001, 4:47 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I have been Marriott PLT for like 3 years now and am within 7 nights of requalifying.

I am within 5 nights of Hilton Diamond and am a lot more excited aout the possibility of being a Diamond than Marriott PLT.

I feel that Marriott has lost touch with how to take care of PLT members.

Answer: It happens at the Hilton.
Old Oct 11, 2001, 8:33 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Marriott Extends Elite Status Period

Gee it might be nice if Hilton matched this..

"Marriott International, Inc. (NYSE: MAR - news) will offer double points and double night credit toward special elite status to Marriott Rewards members who pay for their stays with a Visa® card Oct. 15, 2001, through March 31, 2002.

Starting with the second hotel stay paid for with a Visa card, Marriott Rewards members will earn double points toward free vacations, retail merchandise or any of more than 300 reward options. Plus, members will achieve elite recognition and privileges twice as fast when using a Visa card for their second and each subsequent night at any of Marriott Rewards' 2,100 participating hotels.

As an added bonus, the timeframe for achieving elite status has been extended to March 31, 2002 -- giving members 15 months, rather than the normal 12 months, to reach their desired elite threshold and benefits."

Old Oct 12, 2001, 5:43 am

The double night credit should really help many hit the top level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.