ARCHIVE THREAD for Hilton Sydney {AUS}

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum co-moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 26, 2017 at 12:18 am
Old Jan 6, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
End december availability?

I was looking for hotels in Sydney for new year's eve (IHG/Hyatt/Hilton) and I see that Hilton Sydney is sold out for 26 Dec to 2 Jan

Unfortunately I didn't realize that Hilton bookings open so early in advance.... (IHG not even possible to book so many days in advance). At 12 months in advance, are these dates really sold out or is the hotel blocking availability? Do hilton hotels do that?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
You can always search, but the rooms may not yet be available. When this happens, the hotel shows as sold out. In general, rooms do come on stream but I had this situation in Chicago and six months later, still nada...

Edit: if you use flexible dates and search for available dates, you'll see when rooms are available. In this case, you can book from the 19th to the 26th - so ~355 days out.

Try again in a week or two - prices are currently in the $300s before Christmas, which is good for that hotel, believe it or not.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:18 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Trivolve
I was looking for hotels in Sydney for new year's eve (IHG/Hyatt/Hilton) and I see that Hilton Sydney is sold out for 26 Dec to 2 Jan

Unfortunately I didn't realize that Hilton bookings open so early in advance.... (IHG not even possible to book so many days in advance). At 12 months in advance, are these dates really sold out or is the hotel blocking availability? Do hilton hotels do that?
Also take note that reservations around NYE are pay-up-front and nonrefundable.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cymro
You can always search, but the rooms may not yet be available. When this happens, the hotel shows as sold out. In general, rooms do come on stream but I had this situation in Chicago and six months later, still nada...

Edit: if you use flexible dates and search for available dates, you'll see when rooms are available. In this case, you can book from the 19th to the 26th - so ~355 days out.

Try again in a week or two - prices are currently in the $300s before Christmas, which is good for that hotel, believe it or not.
Yup, I did search flexi and saw the same thing you said. However that hotel has many weeks of availability after 2 Jan 2017 so I'm guessing they just haven't opened up rooms for the NYE period yet
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:09 pm

Just checked rates for this hotel and their website only shows rates for a King Executive Room with all benefits (e.g. lounge access, free breakfast) etc. I checked a range of dates in March / April 2016, and always, only rates for Executive rooms and suites are displayed.

Why are standard room rates not displayed? OTAs seem to have plenty of standard rooms at the Hilton Sydney available for sale.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I was looking at some dates next August and noticed the same thing. I was also shocked at the prices on the exec rooms- 2-3 times higher than the rates at the westin, Marriott and Radisson blu for the same dates and room type. I figured I was just Loki v out too far and the real rates/availability hadn't yet been loaded, but April shouldn't have that issue... So I'm curious as well.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, OZ Dia, HH Dia, SPG Plat25, MR Plat, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Ive stayed at this property for about 30 nights during the year passed and I recommend making bookings from about 5 days before your intended check-in date.

It seems that the property withholds inventory for later release and booking months in advance generally attracts exorbitant rates.

In terms of non-suite room types, all are the same size. The 'standard' room for award bookings is called a King Guestroom, but there is little availability.

In reality, the standard room (but non-award) is called a King Guestroom Plus, which is generally on a lower floor. These rooms have Aquavision TVs in the bathroom.

One category up is a Deluxe room, with the only difference being the higher floor. No bathroom TVs are available.

The next category up is a Deluxe Plus room. The difference here is again the higher floor and a daily 375ml (or thereabouts) bottle of red wine. Again, no Aquavision.

The next category up is an Executive room. The difference here is again the higher floor, but you dont get the wine. The beds are a much softer and 'fluffier.' Again, no Aquavision.

All non-exec rooms have either dark blue or teal coloured carpet. The exec rooms have brown carpets. I prefer the teal for the illusion of space (rooms are small).

One tip for those wanting a twin room: there is no Twin Guestroom Plus category. If booking, you usually have to book a Twin Deluxe room which is more expensive. Rather, just book the King Guestroom Plus and call the property to switch to a twin room, giving you a Twin Deluxe Room.

Golds at this property always get lounge access, but have to pay 29 AUD for breakfast in restaurant. Diamonds get restaurant brekkie for free.

Ill post a full review after my stay next week (coincidentally will reach diamond after the stay )

Feel free to ask me anything about this property as I think I know a fair bit.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:12 pm

Thanks much for the advice and the very detailed info. I do have one question for you since you're so familiar with the various room types. I'm thinking of staying with my family (wife and 2 small children) - are the twin beds actually that, or are they larger by any chance? I'm guessing I'd need two rooms, but occasionally stumble on a property where the "twins" are actually doubles, which would allow us to stick to one room (providing, of course, that the property allows it).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:38 pm

Thanks, OriginalName, for the detailed notes. It was pretty obvious that the hotel was playing games looking at their own rates and rates for the same rooms on other websites.

About the rooms being small, yes I know that. Having stayed there many times several years ago, prior to their facelift. But the George Street location is so good, that I do not feel like staying elsewhere - although the IC seems to have some great rates.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Thanks much for the advice and the very detailed info. I do have one question for you since you're so familiar with the various room types. I'm thinking of staying with my family (wife and 2 small children) - are the twin beds actually that, or are they larger by any chance? I'm guessing I'd need two rooms, but occasionally stumble on a property where the "twins" are actually doubles, which would allow us to stick to one room (providing, of course, that the property allows it).
Unfortunately the twins are just that - two true single beds. In fact, their king rooms are just two singles joined in the middle.

You are better off booking two adjoining rooms (the hotel has plenty).
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by OriginalName
Ill post a full review after my stay next week (coincidentally will reach diamond after the stay )
Umm.. you do realize all the numbers drop to 0 on January 1st, right?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 1:53 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by docbert
Umm.. you do realize all the numbers drop to 0 on January 1st, right?
currently on diamond challenge from last year
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Trivolve

NYE in SYD CBD is a SUPER big deal in all Hotels. Often several times usual rates.

We spent NYE last week in Hilton Columbo Sri Lanka. Got upgraded to a top floor corner suite that overlooked the Galle Face Beach where it all happens. 4 night rate was same each night - about $US160 or so a night.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by OriginalName
Unfortunately the twins are just that - two true single beds. In fact, their king rooms are just two singles joined in the middle.

You are better off booking two adjoining rooms (the hotel has plenty).
Thanks for the info- The westin does have doubles so I'll wait and see how far the Hilton rates drop when we get closer to my stay to decide which makes more sense, factoring in 2 rooms at the Hilton.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.