Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2011, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum and Million Miler, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Broken link

Originally Posted by beltway
Here's a consolidated chart showing the best rate -- standard, VIP/GLON, or AXON -- for any given category/duration. Green indicates the biggest discounts; bold indicates the AXON sweet spots (4-night rate lower per-night than 5-night rate).
BTW Beltway, I can't get link to work.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PriceIsRight
BTW Beltway, I can't get link to work.
Do you mean you can't see the combined standard/GLON/AXON chart in post #14? If so, I think I've fixed the problem.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:40 am

Programs: Everyone!
Awesome thread, this is a great resource for the forum. One extremely minor suggestion. I used this thread to call and redeem for an AXON award, and when I called the number they answered "Hilton Diamond Desk, please provide your Diamond number" (answered in like one ring, really impressive, as an aside)....I was a little surprised and said "sorry I was trying to book an AMEX award and am not Diamond" so they somehow transferred me to American Express to apply for a card???

Anyhow, maybe just parentheses to note that those awards are booked by the Diamond Desk and the call goes to them.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jkzahn
maybe just parentheses to note that those awards are booked by the Diamond Desk and the call goes to them.
Fixed. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Posted a corrected/updated version of the consolidated "best value" chart in post #14. (Changed the values for 5 & 8 nights at cat 7 hotels, in addition to making minor formatting improvements.)
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:10 pm

Beltway: Thanks so much!

You have significantly enhanced all HH members' ability to use HH points.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 11:41 pm

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
What does GLONP stand for?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I don't think it actually stands for anything, just know it is a VIP only award. AXON is something like american express...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
I believe it was derived from "Going Global HHonors Premium." It was "premium" because this was a special, higher rate for Hilton's highest-tier hotels (at the time, cat 6) vs. the GLON rate for lower-category properties.

Award codes such as GLON and GLONP are no longer needed to book rewards. However, because many of the historical FT threads use these terms (as do a lot of the veteran FT members), I included them in the FAQ for clarity.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Thanks all very helpful
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
This definately ranks up there as one of the most informative threads on FT.

A huge KUDOS to beltway for putting this together. ^ ^ ^

I have been a Diamond for over 3 years and I was not aware of all the various rewards options! (Mostly b/c I've never redeemed... yet....).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Hilton HHonors Award charts and VIP/AXON/GLON awards seem to mean little or nothing when hotels and resorts can arbitrarily deny standard room awards while selling standard room nights for cash.

There doesn’t seem to be any reason or restriction on hotels offering "PREMIUM ROOM REWARDS" where these hotels are charging 3-5 times the normal points for reward nights.

Hilton HHonors has undergone and continues a massive devaluation with some resorts designating and offering only "premium rewards" at values far higher than the hotel category designation.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dlflyer2
Hilton HHonors has undergone and continues a massive devaluation with some resorts designating and offering only "premium rewards" at values far higher than the hotel category designation.
I don't disagree -- but as noted above, this thread is dedicated to simply describing the redemption options. To debate the merits, either of one redemption option vs another or of HH vs other hotel loyalty programs, please take it to a discussion thread like http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...oint-cash.html. Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Lightbulb Cat 3 VIP Rewards at 21,250 points per night (at least for Diamond)

I believe the rule have changed on Cat 3 VIP rewards. At least for Diamond, it is indeed 15% off 25,000 = 21,250.

Can someone also confirm if this is true for Silver and Gold?

For example, a Cat 3 hotel in Chicago for four nights:

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago - Oak Brook
Rate details DIA STANDARD RM RWD
Diamond Only Standard points per night VIP discount applies to 4 or more nights LOS restrictions DO NOT apply;Applies to Standard Rooms only Q3FN / GMFN -search by cert # to confirm BARCRW-avl Fri/Sat/Sun only - valid 6 months from issue date BARCRW - search by cert # to confirm NO SHOWS WILL BE CHARGED MINIMUM DAILY RATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Room: 1 KING BED NON-SMOKING
DATE Price per night TOTAL (USD)
01 Sep 2011 21,250 points 21,250 points
02 Sep 2011 21,250 points 21,250 points
03 Sep 2011 21,250 points 21,250 points
04 Sep 2011 21,250 points 21,250 points
Room Subtotal: 85,000 points
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Colonel Heero
I believe the rule have changed on Cat 3 VIP rewards. At least for Diamond, it is indeed 15% off 25,000 = 21,250.

Can someone also confirm if this is true for Silver and Gold?
Great catch, and in your first FT post, too. Will be updating the FAQ accordingly.FAQ updated.

Please continue any further discussion in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ve-thread.html.

Last edited by beltway; Aug 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm Reason: noting updates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.