Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
For ease of navigation, the Hilton Rewards FAQ is distributed across posts 1-10 in this thread. This wiki does not duplicate that content; instead, it provides an index to the various sections of the FAQ.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by divemistressofthedark
Can we start a list of properties where AXON (and presumably GLON) will no longer apply, since the rooms are all premium designation with (much) higher point redemption levels?
I suggest doing that in the AXON master thread.

Last edited by beltway; Oct 12, 2011 at 11:26 am
Old Oct 15, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Great thread and observation about prem rooms and std awards

Beltway,

Thanks for starting and maintaining this extremely informative thread, not to mention all your hard work to keep people informed about the Grand Slam.

Observation about premium room award bookings:

This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't been following the premium award situation too closely. Are there supposed to be premium room category awards available at a given hotel for the same or less points than the standard award at the same hotel?

I found one hotel that had premium rooms for the same number of points as standard rooms, and another where the premium rooms were available for booking at less than the standard rate today (Both are properties in Asia; I'll PM details if anyone wants to know).
Old Oct 15, 2011, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by needtoescape
This is probably a dumb question, but I haven't been following the premium award situation too closely. Are there supposed to be premium room category awards available at a given hotel for the same or less points than the standard award at the same hotel?

I found one hotel that had premium rooms for the same number of points as standard rooms, and another where the premium rooms were available for booking at less than the standard rate today (Both are properties in Asia; I'll PM details if anyone wants to know).
There have been several examples of such anomalies. Discussion of this phenomenon (as well as recent speculation on its cause) has settled in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...oint-cash.html. I'd ask that discussion continue there; I'm following closely & will update the FAQ once we have a more solid grasp of the long-term state of play. (That may take a while.)

Thanks for the attaboy; much appreciated.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Updated the Premium Room Rewards section to note Hilton's pricing scheme (valuing points at 1/3 cent), and to point out that this is a bad value proposition for customers.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

I've updated post #12 on all-inclusive resort rewards to reflect additional info -- basically, the expansion in Egypt (from 2 to 5 properties) and the addition of two Turkish resorts. Alas, Hilton has now removed the award chart, showing actual point costs, that was once on their website.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Thank you.

This post is great. I signed up for Hilton AMEX, earned a lot of bonus points then saved a lot of points on redemption using AXON7 booking. I wouldn't have known without this post. Thank you.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 6:01 am
Original Poster

We've had several weeks to digest the implications of the Premium Room Rewards debacle, and to see reports of specific properties imposing what amounts to capacity controls on standard room rewards. Accordingly, I've updated post #1 and the separate posts on VIP/GLON, AXON, and Premium Room rewards to note the implications and direct readers to the past & current discussion threads.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If one is Diamond, why would you pay for an upgrade with points? Shouldn't you be automatically upgraded?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by stimpy
If one is Diamond, why would you pay for an upgrade with points? Shouldn't you be automatically upgraded?
"Guaranteed" upgrade is one reason. Maybe it's possible by the time a Diamond checks in there won't be any executive rooms available.

Another reason is to upgrade to a suite with points since Diamonds don't automatically get upgraded to suites.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
"Guaranteed" upgrade is one reason. Maybe it's possible by the time a Diamond checks in there won't be any executive rooms available.

Another reason is to upgrade to a suite with points since Diamonds don't automatically get upgraded to suites.
Suite upgrades are explicitly excluded in upgrades, Diamond or otherwise. Occ a property may offer one, but it is at their discretion and NOT part of the HHonors upgrade pool.

If I got a great points or $$ offer for a suite upgrade, I would take it!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
...Occ a property may offer one....
I'd say it's been far more than "occasionally" for me.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Suite upgrades are explicitly excluded in upgrades, Diamond or otherwise. Occ a property may offer one, but it is at their discretion and NOT part of the HHonors upgrade pool.

If I got a great points or $$ offer for a suite upgrade, I would take it!
I've been offered suite upgrades for points several times. It's not consistent but it definitely happens. Never taken advantage of it as it's always been for one night, usually when I'm there just long enough to sleep and shower.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:49 am
Suspended

Hi FTers, really sorry if I have missed out something. Does Point and Cash option qualify for tier qualification? Does it count as a reward stay so it is good for earning stay?

Sorry for my ignorance, and Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Folks, can you please take general discussion (and/or questions) to the appropriate master thread (several of which are specifically noted in posts 2-13)? Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, MR, HH
Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd
Highly valuable thread and compilation. Folks at the Timeshare Users Group (TUG), HGVC forum are also talking about and praising this thread.

http://tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150690
I too came to check it out. Fellow TUGger here.
Thanks for the info. I own HGVC and don't have the CC yet but get the mailers every month. Maybe I need to hang out here more.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.