Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PPro
My wife has gold status from a credit card but no point. I have the points and would like to book a hotel in NYC in a couple of weeks. Can I book under her name with her gold status to get the benefits. we will be travelling together....
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfizzle
My wife has gold status from a credit card but no point. I have the points and would like to book a hotel in NYC in a couple of weeks. Can I book under her name with her gold status to get the benefits. we will be travelling together....
You're making this unnecessarily complicated. You can now share ("pool") points between members:

Move the points to your DW's account; problem solved.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Anyone with experience changing a C&P award to an all points award? Say property X has 4 nights available and you are just a bit short with a stay upcoming that will get you the points. The room rate is listed as "standard award redemption" even though the payment is points + cash balance. Think that could be changed after the fact?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:47 am

I have a question about the Hilton Weekend Night, i want to know if I can upgrade my free weekekend night (standard room) to a premier rom using points or cash.

Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 11:41 am

Not likely. You can book the standard room and then call the hotel directly to see if they will let you upgrade, although I haven't heard of an instance where they allowed it for points, only for cash. Honors cannot book an upgraded room for you
Old Dec 6, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Is there any formula to how Points & Money Rewards are calculated? Unfortunately, I can only see pure cash and pure points rates without logging in - and after I log in, no points options are shown, presumably because I don't have any points on my account yet. I'm looking into DoubleTree Kosice, which offers rate of 23 000 points for standard reward or 99 euros (excluding sale rates and excluding AP rates) per night. I will have just over 8000 points available by the time I travel. How much discount could I get by using them?
The issue is that I need to find out about value of points before I collect them - I usually don't stay at Hilton properties (they don't maintain significant presence in area where I usually travel) so these are the only points I get in months or years. I'm trying to figure out whether to credit it all to Honors (and use them for Points & Money reward), or use double dipping and credit some of it to my FFP (so I get to use at least something).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:42 pm

If you select the pure points rate and proceed through the process, it should give you the opportunity to figure out the points and cash rate later in the process, however, so far as I know, it is on a straight line basis, so using the numbers you have provided, your 8000 points should save you about 35 Euro.
the810 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:48 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
If you select the pure points rate and proceed through the process, it should give you the opportunity to figure out the points and cash rate later in the process, however, so far as I know, it is on a straight line basis, so using the numbers you have provided, your 8000 points should save you about 35 Euro.
Thank you. I've tried selecting points option, but it requires login and once I login, point rates disappear (I presume that's because I don't have any points yet).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by the810
Thank you. I've tried selecting points option, but it requires login and once I login, point rates disappear (I presume that's because I don't have any points yet).
Correct.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:31 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
My understanding is that reward stays still count towards Diamond status, correct? (I qualify by number of stays)

If so, it looks like I am going to need 2-3 more stays to re-qualify for Diamond this year. Rather than do mattress runs, I was thinking about just doing a low-end reward redemption for a 1-night stay to use points instead of money.

Unless I'm mistaken, Hilton no longer publishes a reward chart. The website says awards start as low as 5K points. Is there a way I can figure out which hotels can be booked for 5K? Since I'm just looking at stay credits, I obviously want to spend as few points as possible.

Thanks for any advice!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:10 pm

As far as I remember, you have to spend some money at the hotel in order for the stay to count. I once paid for mailing a letter, and that was enough.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:13 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by sokolov
As far as I remember, you have to spend some money at the hotel in order for the stay to count. I once paid for mailing a letter, and that was enough.
Is that true? I thought it didn't matter.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
My understanding is that reward stays still count towards Diamond status, correct? (I qualify by number of stays)

If so, it looks like I am going to need 2-3 more stays to re-qualify for Diamond this year. Rather than do mattress runs, I was thinking about just doing a low-end reward redemption for a 1-night stay to use points instead of money.

Unless I'm mistaken, Hilton no longer publishes a reward chart. The website says awards start as low as 5K points. Is there a way I can figure out which hotels can be booked for 5K? Since I'm just looking at stay credits, I obviously want to spend as few points as possible.

Thanks for any advice!
Originally Posted by sokolov
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Is that true? I thought it didn't matter.
Reward stay counts towards status. However, you won't get any points (bonus points like booked over the app).
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
Not sure if this data point helps anyone make sense of the standard award pricing, but it should encourage folks to keep checking the award costs, even after booking:

I booked a standard award at the Canon City, CO Hampton Inn for 23k points (price was $110). I canceled the reservation two days before the stay when I thought the weather would be bad (we were going for the Royal Gorge Train ride). The morning of, the weather cleared. I went on the website to see that the standard award was now 20k points even though the price was still $110. I reserved the train ride, went back to the website, and the award rate was now 21k with the cash price remaining at $110.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Blind and Green
Not sure if this data point helps anyone make sense of the standard award pricing, but it should encourage folks to keep checking the award costs, even after booking:
It sure doesn't help me make sense of award pricing, and it does encourage me to check back.

Is there any problem with making a second award booking and then canceling the first? I do this with cash bookings if the price goes down, but I wonder if a points booking would have different limitations or checking to prevent such.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.