Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trouble747
There must be something wrong with the website? I'm using "flexible dates" but it doesn't matter which property I choose or how many dates I scroll through, every single one says "guests cannot arrive on this date."

*edit*

Nope, you're absolutely right. Apparently you have to have a minimum amount of points in your account or it won't show any availability. Thanks for the assist!
As noted in post #1 :
Originally Posted by beltway
Unlike some other hotel programs (e.g., Marriott), Hilton requires you to have enough points in your account for a given award at the time you make the reservation. If you're logged in, the Hilton website won't even show you availability for awards you can't cover. (This sometimes leads to confusion when members search for award rooms before logging in, only to have it disappear after login. This is not phantom space; it's real, but when you're logged in the website won't display it because you can't reserve it.)
So it's not "a minimum amount of points." For however many points you have, the website will only show you awards at or below that level when you're logged in--meaning that regardless of whether you have 10,000 or 200,000 points in your account, you may or may not see award availability, depending on which properties you're looking at, length of stay, etc. etc.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: IHG Amb, MR Plat, FB Silver
Is there a way to find all Hilton properties in the world at the lowest point rate (5000 points per night)?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Found this resource via LoyaltyLobby.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
I wonder if the award pricing is a scam... According to the calculator, the maximum cost of Hampton Inn Jackson Hole is 60 000 points, but it is 166 000 (!!) points for my date in September... Any ideas?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by igor82j
I wonder if the award pricing is a scam... According to the calculator, the maximum cost of Hampton Inn Jackson Hole is 60 000 points, but it is 166 000 (!!) points for my date in September... Any ideas?
That's pricing for a premium room, not a standard/base room.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 3:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Ok, I need help, because I can't seem to figure out how to book the following:

I've 34k points and want to book 2 nights at a hotel where 1 night costs 29k points.

Is it possible to part-pay with points&money, e.g. 17k points per night and the difference in cash or pay 1 night in points and the second night a cash rate?

I wasn't able to select any of this on hilton.com when attempting to book my stay. It would only accept points only or cash only bookings.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florens
Ok, I need help, because I can't seem to figure out how to book the following:

I've 34k points and want to book 2 nights at a hotel where 1 night costs 29k points.

Is it possible to part-pay with points&money, e.g. 17k points per night and the difference in cash or pay 1 night in points and the second night a cash rate?

I wasn't able to select any of this on hilton.com when attempting to book my stay. It would only accept points only or cash only bookings.
To pay with points & money,
  • select the desired room and rate in points or cash
  • click through the intermediate page (where you input special requests, add'l guests, etc.)
  • use the slider on the final page where you can confirm the booking.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by beltway
To pay with points & money,
  • select the desired room and rate in points or cash
  • click through the intermediate page (where you input special requests, add'l guests, etc.)
  • use the slider on the final page where you can confirm the booking.
I see, thank you so much. What value do people usually assign to 1000 HH points?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:53 am

I am trying to book the Homewood Suites in Savannah, GA for a Sunday night in November. Is it better to burn through 42,000 HH points or use the Chase portal where the room rate is just $164 a night? it doesn't seem like a great use of points, right?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:03 am

That is an average to just below average use of points. Depending on whether you will have other opportunities to use your points, it might make sense but probably not. Personally I look for top quartile points uses and can usually find them with one chain or another, but if you travel little or don't have a portfolio of points to choose from, this could make sense.
Also keep in mind that chase portal reservations may not receive elite loyalty program benefits where points bookings will. With the limited service hotel you are looking at, it doesn't make much difference, but at others, it could.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
That is an average to just below average use of points. Depending on whether you will have other opportunities to use your points, it might make sense but probably not. Personally I look for top quartile points uses and can usually find them with one chain or another, but if you travel little or don't have a portfolio of points to choose from, this could make sense.
Also keep in mind that chase portal reservations may not receive elite loyalty program benefits where points bookings will. With the limited service hotel you are looking at, it doesn't make much difference, but at others, it could.
Thanks so much!! I knew that someone who is an expert in this area would help!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
How does the maximum standard award price work? Can the hotels that were previously cat 1 and cost 5,000 points/night become a "cat 2" hotel tomorrow even though these categories technically no longer exist? Will there be any announcements for changes to hotel's maximum award price or will they constantly be changing without notice now?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
How does the maximum standard award price work? Can the hotels that were previously cat 1 and cost 5,000 points/night become a "cat 2" hotel tomorrow even though these categories technically no longer exist? Will there be any announcements for changes to hotel's maximum award price or will they constantly be changing without notice now?
From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ors-perks.html:

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
As we launch this new benefit, we’re also saying farewell to hotel categories - which will allow prices to go lower than the previous ranges. But you can rest assured about the value of your Points. As we make this transition on Standard Room Rewards, each hotel's maximum Points price is NOT increasing.

For example, today a Standard Room at Category 10 hotels maxes out at 95,000 Points per night. Once the new Points & Money program launches, those hotels will continue to top out at 95,000 Points, and may sometimes be priced lower than the previous category range.

Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
After a few months of seeing this new system in action, we’re going to make some updates to Point prices at a few properties – four in total.

With continued growth in Mainland China, DoubleTree Hangzhou East’s top price will move from 10K to 20K Points, DoubleTree Jiaxing from 5K to 10K Points, and DoubleTree Wuhu from 5K to 10K Points. And with a major renovation now complete at Hampton Inn Universal Orlando, their top price will move from 20K to 30K Points. These Point prices are the most a member would pay; Points prices can still be lower when the hotel’s paid rate goes down.

Since these were the first changes since March, we wanted to give you advanced notice and the opportunity to book if you’d like to reserve at the current Point range. The changes will go into effective on July 7, 2017. We also wanted to let you know because this will give you an idea of future changes. While we won’t be updating you for each and every shift going forward, we’re fully committed to delivering the best value to our members, and will carefully consider any adjustments for Hilton Honors properties.
Feel free to PM me or post if you have any questions related to these properties.

Thank you!
Lauren
Old Aug 21, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Pricing changes

Thanks for that information. The hotels I were looking at include some of the ones you listed, but just this month I noticed another property in mainland china double in price. Is there a place we can follow to see updates on upcoming changes?

Edit: After doing some reading, it looks like they won't be proactively announcing changes. This is exactly what I was afraid would happen when they announced they were eliminating categories. The promise of transparency kept me hopeful. But so far the hgi Singapore and DT Shenzhen longhua have both changed pricing categories. It's too early to say definitively, but I think these changes to to Honors program will be a stealth devaluation greater than I originally expected.

Last edited by TalkingPoint; Aug 21, 2017 at 3:48 am Reason: Add info
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:35 pm

My family and another family are going out for a trip together. I'm a diamond member and none of other three has any elite status.
If I book rooms for both families, will my friend family get any benefit such as room upgrade, lounge access, free breakfast? Will they get any benefit by asking me to book for them? Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.