Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This guide has been removed.
Print Wikipost

Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beltway
IIRC, it is the status of the person who is present, not that of the gifting party, that matters under Hilton's policies.
Thanks,

My case is similar: My GF will book the night with her points (no status) but we will both be in the room (I am Gold).

Will we have the gold benefits?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I just booked a room using points in my Silver account, then added my wife's (who is Gold) name to the reservation -- there is nowhere to put her Gold HH number.

I called HH to see if we can get Gold benefits, the CSR spoke to a supervisor and said there is nowhere in the system that she can input the my wife's Gold HH number. She suggests my wife can show her Gold card at check-in to see if the hotel can honor Gold benefits. I'm not holding my hope on this working.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:27 am

Spent close to 350k points for 4 nights at a hampton inn in north conway, nh for next week. I have the amex cards, we did not get a standard room, opting for the one bedrooms since we have young kids. Am i entitled to a 5th free night? even if that free night is standard? thinking i may have not fully thought out the best way to execute this stay, but given how easily the rooms fill up i had to jump. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slipkid
Spent close to 350k points for 4 nights at a hampton inn in north conway, nh for next week. I have the amex cards, we did not get a standard room, opting for the one bedrooms since we have young kids. Am i entitled to a 5th free night? even if that free night is standard? thinking i may have not fully thought out the best way to execute this stay, but given how easily the rooms fill up i had to jump. Thank you in advance.
As noted in post #3,
the Fifth Night Free benefit applies only to standard rooms.
Std rooms are 40K. Can you book 2 adjoining std rooms? If so, you'd get 5 nights for 320K (2 x 40K x 4 nights, plus 5th night free).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:49 pm

As noted in post #3,

Std rooms are 40K. Can you book 2 adjoining std rooms? If so, you'd get 5 nights for 320K (2 x 40K x 4 nights, plus 5th night free).
Thank you, attempted calling the honors line, just in case. but hope.

only a couple of rooms left for the 5 days we'd want so no adjoining.
We've also had issues in the past in which no one would be able to confirm adjoining rooms, and its' too risky to tempt when the kids are 5 and 2.

But thank you for the help and this thread.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
So I've been hearing its harder to get room upgrades as Gold now at Hilton properties. Is this true -- any positive trip reports?

Will be staying at a couple of Hilton properties in the next few months.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
So I've been hearing its harder to get room upgrades as Gold now at Hilton properties. Is this true -- any positive trip reports?

Will be staying at a couple of Hilton properties in the next few months.
Since your question doesn't relate to awards/point redemption, you'd be better off taking a look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ay-coming.html
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
can this be used in Bora Bora? (Axon reduced award rate + 5th night free)
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rb23lb
can this be used in Bora Bora? (Axon reduced award rate + 5th night free)
I suppose it depends what "this" means in your question.
  • You can book an AXON award for Bora Bora.
  • You can use the 5th Night Free benefit for a booking of 5 nights or longer.
  • You can book an AXON award back-to-back with a 5th Night Free award.
  • You cannot book an AXON award & then claim the following night as a free 5th night.

Of course, all of this assumes the availability of standard rooms, which appear to be rather scarce.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
I suppose it depends what "this" means in your question.
  • You can book an AXON award for Bora Bora.
  • You can use the 5th Night Free benefit for a booking of 5 nights or longer.
  • You can book an AXON award back-to-back with a 5th Night Free award.
  • You cannot book an AXON award & then claim the following night as a free 5th night.

Of course, all of this assumes the availability of standard rooms, which appear to be rather scarce.
is the only way to get axon award access to have the amex hilton? or can u do this with the citi hilton cc as well?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rb23lb
is the only way to get axon award access to have the amex hilton? or can u do this with the citi hilton cc as well?
You probably ought to read post #4, which explains AXON awards in depth.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:07 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by allanfan
I am Gold, family member is Silver. I am traveling, family member is NOT traveling. If the family member books the award for my stay, do I get Gold or Silver benefit?
IIRC, it is the status of the person who is present, not that of the gifting party, that matters under Hilton's policies.
Originally Posted by allanfan
I just booked a room using points in my Silver account, then added my wife's (who is Gold) name to the reservation -- there is nowhere to put her Gold HH number.

I called HH to see if we can get Gold benefits, the CSR ... suggests my wife can show her Gold card at check-in to see if the hotel can honor Gold benefits. I'm not holding my hope on this working.
I'm interested to know whether this worked or not as I intend to try something similar.

Also, if a family member is booking a reward stay for me and another person, but they are not staying themselves, is it possible to book online and then get the original name removed and replaced by the names of the actual guests? Or is it better to do everything on the phone?

Does points and money work the same way?

Last edited by :D!; Aug 20, 2015 at 1:28 am
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by :D!
If a family member is booking a reward stay for me and another person, but they are not staying themselves, is it possible to book online and then get the original name removed and replaced by the names of the actual guests? Or is it better to do everything on the phone?

Does points and money work the same way?
To answer my own question: yes, it is possible to book a points and money redemption in someone else's name, with no reference to the name of the account holder, but the best way to do it is to call the U.S. call center (opens at 9am EDT / 2pm BST).

The other call centers will just add the name of the guest as an "additional guest" which I could easily have done online by myself, without having to bother calling and spelling every word with the phonetic alphabet. Maybe this would have been fine in the majority of cases but I don't want to have any trouble when my sister's points are used for a room for 2 adults, and two men show up.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:04 pm

AXON rewards are available for 4-night stays at hotels in categories 5 through 10, as follows ...
Thanks for this amazing explanation. For $70 out of pocket ($36 more than I'd planned to spend getting points), I was able to do 4 nights in a Cat 6 instead of 3 nights in a Cat 5. FTers are great.

Looks like this saved me $900+ instead of saving me $600+. Hilton isn't local charm, but "free" sure is cheap.

Wish me luck that I like the hotel & my room! :-)

Last edited by kitkatft; Aug 26, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
I bought bought like $10 worth of points (because I understand Hilton doesn't let you search for award bookings with 0 balance), but how long does it actually take to credit to your account? I see the money has already left my bank account - but I see no points credited in over 48 hours?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.