Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Hilton Hotel Oakland Airport
1 Hegenberger Rd.
Oakland CA 94261
Tel. +1.510.635.5000 / Fax +1.510.383.4062

There are five buildings at this property; building 1 includes the lobby. Each building has three floors, and a mix of two double beds or a king bed on each floor.

The numeration of rooms runs to four digits, as follows:
1st digit, building number.
2nd digit, floor number.
3rd and 4th digits are the specific room number.

Post 117 includes a plan of the property and its buildings.

I.e. room 1319, in the building including the lobby (the restaurant is across the van access and parking, and there is a covered walkway) on the third (highest) floor, actually the designated Honors floor (vending, but you must go to the second floor for ice,) and is not particularly distinguishable from any other floor – though you want to be on the third floor in this hotel, regardless of which wing / building you are staying in.

When offered advance online checkin, you may not be shown building 1 at all, even if you're Honors Elite.

Self-parking is up to $14.75 per night for checked guests (9/17).

Airport shuttles to OAK at 20 minute intervals, 4am to 2am on demand, seven minutes to airport. See the list of services in post #116.

Remarks: This is a large hotel in the old style, several wings three stories high, airport-close (regular shuttle service,) one mile from McAfee Coliseum and full of conferences and meetings. Amenities include a pool, surprisingly complete fitness room, sports bar, Amelia’s (Earhart) restaurant for breakfast and lunch (breakfast: Continental, US$, buffet $ ,) and Stanley’s Grill for dinner (beautiful sandblasted glass panels depicting African animals as dividers between booths, decent food and sometimes glacial service.) Parking is advertised as $14.75.

Note: This hotel did not honor my booking even though I OLCI and selected a room, called and let them know I was arriving late. They then attempted to book me into the remaining room (suite), which in fact was occupied. 18 Sep 2017.

The older construction means this place can be noisy, and the floors can boom and shake when someone isn’t considerate of fellow lodgers. At least with the third floor, you have no one above you – but you may still hear people walking by, or hear the alarm or television in adjacent rooms; cabinet doors may rattle when you walk by the drawer / tv cabinet, and you can feel floor irregularities as you walk thorugh the carpeting. The glazing is older single pane, so you may also hear turboprop aircraft from the general aviation side of the field departing, and some traffic noise is possible in some rooms. The airport hotel means activity can be any time of day or night.

UNDER REVISION: The room is very spacious, with a king bed with very nice bedding (and a thin but very adequate duvet,) a table with ice bucket, glasses and coffee service, a chest of three drawers with television in the upper portion of the cabinet, small closet with extra covers, iron and board, bathrobes; there are two armchairs and small drum table, a luggage jack and small padded bench that can easily be used as a luggage jack, two night tables, usual Hilton clock-radio, enough pillows for the a family, two telephones, several lights (the room is adequately lit,) a spacious desk with a ridiculous adjustable armchair that requires me to use my laptop in the desk drawer, as the chair does not adjust high enough to allow comfortable use of the desk. The blackout curtains do a very adequate job of blocking extraneous light from the room, which is good given aircrews use this hotel. Air is central, but you can make the room cooler in winter or warmer in summer – not possible in some hotels with central HVAC.

The bathroom is small, square and floored with a marble tile also used for the sink area, a smallish tub with straight (not bowed) curtain rod and good shower head with anemic water pressure. A hair dryer and the usual La Source amenities are provided, but only hand (no bath sized) soaps were provided; a shoe rag and shoehorn are included, a nice extra from a hotel that doesn’t believe in many extras for Diamonds. Toweling is the nice and absorbent HH collection by Martex.

The room appears refurbished, the wall is covered with a light beige-gold paper with a subtle floral effect, carpet is multi-pattern with greens and beiges, all woods are in a medium brown, and everything is clean and bright. Service can be variable, and you can expect most staff will not greet unless you greet first, especially if engrossed in chit chat with each other. This feels like a place that does quite well due to location, so nobody puts much time into hospitality training.

UNDERVREVISION FOR STAY: My amenities as Diamond included the upgrade to the “Executive King” room, the robes in the closet, two one pint / 237 ml bottles of water, and a chit for the Continental breakfast (fruits, cereals, yoghurts, juices, pastries but no croissants, or even toast - which must be requested, coffee or tea – a bit miserly.) One can “upgrade” to buffet American (scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage) for an additional US$X.00.

Caveat: I would never stay here during high school graduation periods – I have seen this hotel chock-a-block with students attending their proms, and their parents secure numbers of rooms for them.

Alternate properties: Hilton Garden Inn San Leandro (south, under five miles from OAK, shuttle bus to OAK, BART) Homewood Suites Oakland-Waterfront (north, near Jack London Square, under 6 miles,) Hampton Inn Hayward (eight miles, south,) and the new Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge in Emeryville, just under ten miles away.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Oakland Airport {US-CA}

Old Jul 29, 1999, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Arrow Hilton Oakland Airport {US-CA}

The Oakland Airport Hilton has always been one of the worst in the U.S., but I always stay there due to the location.

Last night I checked in and found a very nice amenity. Some gourmet dried fruit in a nice wooden box. Also a letter from the GM welcoming me as a Gold HHonors member and thanking me for my continued support.

Maybe things are slowly changing.
Old Jul 29, 1999, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Yes things can change.

Hilton started ripping me off for local phone calls and 800 phone calls and I changed my stays to Starwood.
Old Oct 2, 1999, 11:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
Hilton Oakland Airport

Hi...

I will be staying at the Hilton Oakland airport next week. Does anybody have any comments on this property....

thks... redrock
Old Oct 3, 1999, 12:56 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
this was my first US hotel, on my very first US trip (with Gisela) in nov 1973 ... at that time I thought OAK was the only airport for SFO. We arrived on a Saturday afternoon - the lobby was already full of football fans; I inquired and really got tickets for next days Raiders game for the nominal/imprinted prices (and I believe they were the 'world' champions the year before?), the Stadium was in walking distance from this hotel. Not knowing the rules of american football then, I think Gisela and I watched more time admiring the cheer-girls than the game ...

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 10-03-1999).]
Old Oct 3, 1999, 9:06 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hilton often has, at least in my opinion, pretty good airport hotels. This is the case here, realizing of course its not the Waldorf Towers! It's about 1/2 mi from the airport, only 10-15 minutes to downtown, and about 1mi from the Coliseum as Rudi said (I guess he liked the hotel!?!). It has Ex fl., modem conn, etc, outdoor pool, fitness ctr, airport courtesy car. BART station nearby. Pretty decent food (Stanleys, I think) featuring California cuisine, there's a Sports Bar and a cafe good for breakfast. On the weekends, if it's availbale you might get a Bouceback special for about $100-110.
Old Oct 3, 1999, 11:58 am
Original Member

Programs: Delta Flying Colonel, Lifetime Silver Medallion, Million Miler
A good Hilton property. If I remember correctly, it also has free parking for guests.
Old Oct 3, 1999, 1:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
thanks folks......

redrock
Old Oct 3, 1999, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Rudi:

Even back in 1973 you were one brave soul to walk to the stadium from the hotel.

Redrock:

It's not a bad property, and yes the parking is free. However I wouldn't wander out at night walking.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 5:41 am

Oakland Airport Hilton: What to Expect

How is the Oakland Airport Hilton? What should I expect as a Diamond member re upgrade/breakfast? Is the BART easily accessible to the hotel?
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have stayed there twice (July and August). I'm a gold. Upon check-in, the folder has been made out with the breakfast voucher (you show the same card each morning) and a notation that says "amenity in room". The room already has 2 bottles of water in it. I have had to leave too early for breakfast each time, so I don't know how it is or if they let you pay a difference for a full breakfast. In July there was a box of pistachios and last weekend, a nice bag of (very fresh...mmm) gummi bears.

The front desk has a nice fresh batch of cookies each evening (3 selections to choose from).

All in all, a respectable property, IM(nsh)O.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 12:27 pm

Agree with Eastbay 1k. Have stayed at this property more than a few times while in town on biz or to see the M's play the A's. (OK, Eastbay, don't start any sports wars here!) Have always had good luck with service, staff, lounges & food. Rooms are pretty nice & have shoe polishers in 'em! The sports bar is fun, have met great people there & food has been pretty good (except the steaks :< ) . Shuttle drivers & bell staff have gone out of their way to be helpful. I would consider this well above average for an "airport" Hilton.
Old Aug 12, 2002, 9:14 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Regarding the access to BART issue: in my opinion, it's not convenient to the hotel.

You could either take the hotel shuttle back to the airport (5 minutes) and take the direct OAK-BART shuttle (10-15 minutes & $2, credit card ok) or you could take the AC Transit 49 or 58 buses that look like they pass by the hotel and go on to BART Coliseum station.

This may be a map:
http://www.transitinfo.org/cgi-bin/z...l.x=15&ul.y=19

The Hilton is near the intersection of Doolittle and Hegenberger.
Rich
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I think you can take the hotel shuttle to/from BART if you call in advance - there were some instructions in the shuttle van but I didn't pay super close attention as to times - but it was limited service. The bus is probably more convenient.

Just a heads up - with all the construction around there, Hegenberger Road can be a problem at times. On July 3 in the evening it took me 40 minutes to get from the 880 offramp to the hotel. Its typically no more than a 2 minute drive. There were people running down Hegenberger Road with their luggage toward the airport and they still had over a mile to run. Last Friday, it was a 2 min drive.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So furious at the OAK Airport Hilton I'm afraid of my blood pressure

These surprise after check-out charges from hotels (not just Hilton properties) are getting out of hand. No notice, no statement, just a credit card statement inconsistent with the folio. This one appeared to be simply a transposed number, so I simply disputed it with Diners and faxed them the folio. Guess what? The dispute was "resolved" in their favor without any notice to me about the findings until after the fact. The hotel accused me of taking a bathrobe and billed me $60. Someone filled out a slip that said "Guest Took Bathrobe." Not only did I do no such thing but the entire manner in how it was handled was reprehensible. Hotels (and not just this one, but this is the largest amount that has ever happened) just take it upon themselves to bill you after the fact and not even tell you for what or notify you. You just get a billing on your CC statement. Then the "dispute" process results in the CC company not even responding to me, just taking the hotel's word for a bathrobe I don't have. Now, over $60, I either have to sue them or take even more of my time trying to resolve this with the hotel directly. I am just so furious. Guess that was my extra Gold amenity - a $60 nonexistent bathrobe. AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH. What particular dept does Hilton Corp have to deal with hotels? I really don't want to deal with this hotel directly again. It does no good. They are right, and I am wrong.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Wow. I had this happen to me at the Sheraton
Bal in MIA. Took one month to resolve and a
lot more of my time than it was worth. I
just hate someone getting over on me. I have
a e-mail address I will send you directly for
a very competent person at Hilton. Eugene
gave it to me and Hilton has found it worth
it for both sides. As for the blood pressure
it is not worth it. What the heck were you
doing staying at a place like that with a FT
handle like yours. I do hope you got points
for the robe. Make sure you ask for that.
Regards and all will be fine. Hunting up the
address now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.