Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Hilton Hotel Oakland Airport
1 Hegenberger Rd.
Oakland CA 94261
Tel. +1.510.635.5000 / Fax +1.510.383.4062

There are five buildings at this property; building 1 includes the lobby. Each building has three floors, and a mix of two double beds or a king bed on each floor.

The numeration of rooms runs to four digits, as follows:
1st digit, building number.
2nd digit, floor number.
3rd and 4th digits are the specific room number.

Post 117 includes a plan of the property and its buildings.

I.e. room 1319, in the building including the lobby (the restaurant is across the van access and parking, and there is a covered walkway) on the third (highest) floor, actually the designated Honors floor (vending, but you must go to the second floor for ice,) and is not particularly distinguishable from any other floor – though you want to be on the third floor in this hotel, regardless of which wing / building you are staying in.

When offered advance online checkin, you may not be shown building 1 at all, even if you're Honors Elite.

Self-parking is up to $14.75 per night for checked guests (9/17).

Airport shuttles to OAK at 20 minute intervals, 4am to 2am on demand, seven minutes to airport. See the list of services in post #116.

Remarks: This is a large hotel in the old style, several wings three stories high, airport-close (regular shuttle service,) one mile from McAfee Coliseum and full of conferences and meetings. Amenities include a pool, surprisingly complete fitness room, sports bar, Amelia’s (Earhart) restaurant for breakfast and lunch (breakfast: Continental, US$, buffet $ ,) and Stanley’s Grill for dinner (beautiful sandblasted glass panels depicting African animals as dividers between booths, decent food and sometimes glacial service.) Parking is advertised as $14.75.

Note: This hotel did not honor my booking even though I OLCI and selected a room, called and let them know I was arriving late. They then attempted to book me into the remaining room (suite), which in fact was occupied. 18 Sep 2017.

The older construction means this place can be noisy, and the floors can boom and shake when someone isn’t considerate of fellow lodgers. At least with the third floor, you have no one above you – but you may still hear people walking by, or hear the alarm or television in adjacent rooms; cabinet doors may rattle when you walk by the drawer / tv cabinet, and you can feel floor irregularities as you walk thorugh the carpeting. The glazing is older single pane, so you may also hear turboprop aircraft from the general aviation side of the field departing, and some traffic noise is possible in some rooms. The airport hotel means activity can be any time of day or night.

UNDER REVISION: The room is very spacious, with a king bed with very nice bedding (and a thin but very adequate duvet,) a table with ice bucket, glasses and coffee service, a chest of three drawers with television in the upper portion of the cabinet, small closet with extra covers, iron and board, bathrobes; there are two armchairs and small drum table, a luggage jack and small padded bench that can easily be used as a luggage jack, two night tables, usual Hilton clock-radio, enough pillows for the a family, two telephones, several lights (the room is adequately lit,) a spacious desk with a ridiculous adjustable armchair that requires me to use my laptop in the desk drawer, as the chair does not adjust high enough to allow comfortable use of the desk. The blackout curtains do a very adequate job of blocking extraneous light from the room, which is good given aircrews use this hotel. Air is central, but you can make the room cooler in winter or warmer in summer – not possible in some hotels with central HVAC.

The bathroom is small, square and floored with a marble tile also used for the sink area, a smallish tub with straight (not bowed) curtain rod and good shower head with anemic water pressure. A hair dryer and the usual La Source amenities are provided, but only hand (no bath sized) soaps were provided; a shoe rag and shoehorn are included, a nice extra from a hotel that doesn’t believe in many extras for Diamonds. Toweling is the nice and absorbent HH collection by Martex.

The room appears refurbished, the wall is covered with a light beige-gold paper with a subtle floral effect, carpet is multi-pattern with greens and beiges, all woods are in a medium brown, and everything is clean and bright. Service can be variable, and you can expect most staff will not greet unless you greet first, especially if engrossed in chit chat with each other. This feels like a place that does quite well due to location, so nobody puts much time into hospitality training.

UNDERVREVISION FOR STAY: My amenities as Diamond included the upgrade to the “Executive King” room, the robes in the closet, two one pint / 237 ml bottles of water, and a chit for the Continental breakfast (fruits, cereals, yoghurts, juices, pastries but no croissants, or even toast - which must be requested, coffee or tea – a bit miserly.) One can “upgrade” to buffet American (scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage) for an additional US$X.00.

Caveat: I would never stay here during high school graduation periods – I have seen this hotel chock-a-block with students attending their proms, and their parents secure numbers of rooms for them.

Alternate properties: Hilton Garden Inn San Leandro (south, under five miles from OAK, shuttle bus to OAK, BART) Homewood Suites Oakland-Waterfront (north, near Jack London Square, under 6 miles,) Hampton Inn Hayward (eight miles, south,) and the new Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge in Emeryville, just under ten miles away.
Print Wikipost

Hilton Oakland Airport {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
The rates at the OAK Hilton vary greatly depending on whether it is during the week or on a weekend. Weekends are much lower.

They also have a "Park Sleep & Fly" rate that covers 1 night's stay and 7 days of parking. Looking at hilton.com, the Park & Fly price midweek (for a date in early Feb.) is showing $184, whereas it is $119 on the Friday night. AARP rate w/o parking for the same days was $164 midweek, $89 Friday. So, depending on the days of your stay, it sounds as if you both got rather good rates.

Last edited by Jassy-50; Jan 6, 2005 at 5:41 pm
Old Jan 7, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Considering the 11 nights of parking....

Originally Posted by Jassy-50
The rates at the OAK Hilton vary greatly depending on whether it is during the week or on a weekend. Weekends are much lower.

They also have a "Park Sleep & Fly" rate that covers 1 night's stay and 7 days of parking. Looking at hilton.com, the Park & Fly price midweek (for a date in early Feb.) is showing $184, whereas it is $119 on the Friday night. AARP rate w/o parking for the same days was $164 midweek, $89 Friday. So, depending on the days of your stay, it sounds as if you both got rather good rates.
...that I got included in the rate of $129 from Suntrips making the booking, I can't complain. I'm pretty sure that I won't get the Diamond acknowledgement (which pretty means just b-fast and a bag of nuts in the room), but I would still like to get the stay credit if nothing else. I think I should be able to because it was not a priceline or hotwire bid, but we'll see.

It is a decent enough hotel, but nothing special. Although I must say that have one of the best workout rooms I've ever been to in a hotel!

Dawn
Old Jan 7, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Originally Posted by [B
kymbakitty[/B] I'm pretty sure that I won't get the Diamond acknowledgement (which pretty means just b-fast and a bag of nuts in the room), but I would still like to get the stay credit if nothing else. I think I should be able to because it was not a priceline or hotwire bid, but we'll see. Dawn
When we stayed at the Hilton Budapest as part of a Tauck tour this fall, I got the Gold amenities (room on Executive floor, access to Executive lounge, bottle of wine in room) and a stay credit. But it is not automatic. Here is what I did:

1. I sent a fax to the hotel ahead of time telling them of my arrival and asking (very nicely and deferentially) if it would be at all possible to have access to the lounge, with the understanding that our reservation was indeed with a tour group and so I did not expect to be put on the Executive floor, just hoping for lounge access. Granted, there's no lounge at OAK, but a similar request might work (room on the executive floor and/or breakfast, e.g.).

2. I charged some incidentals to the room. This was done so that the hotel will issue you a folio, which you can then send in to Hilton with a request for stay credit. You will need to wait the three weeks to see if a credit will post (it likely won't) before sending in the folio and request and then likely will have to follow up once or twice (it took about 5 weeks for my credit to post after making the request).

Be sure to give them you HH # when you call ahead of time and when you check in, if it is not already on your reservation.

YMMV, but it might be worth a try. Good luck.
Old Jan 7, 2005, 12:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In my experience, often the bearing on what one is given at the hotel is less WHO booked it than HOW it was booked - e.g. if it is a discounted, group or similar rate, one stands an excellent chance of getting zip (e.g. my stay at Hiltons in Cairo were at a discounted or group rate, and I didn't get much; my stay at Sharm el Sheikh (Hilton Sharm Waterfalls Resort) was not, though it was, iirc, booked via an agency.) If it is a "published" rate, you wil likely get it all. Contracted rates? YMMV... but often, you will, especially if you are as organised as Jassy-50, who makes it easy for them to serve...
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Any recent stays?

Any kind of updates would be appreciated, as i have a stay booked at this property in a couple weeks.

Gold Treatment & Benefits?
Room Quality?
Upgrade likely?
Parking Cost?
Internet cost?

Thanks In Advance

Junkie
Old Jul 27, 2005, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
As a Diamond they've always given me a nice room in a recently-renovated portion of the hotel, in the building above the lobby. They only have king beds there, though so if you want two beds you will be somewhere else without the nice bedding. They've also only charged me $5/night for parking instead of the advertised $9. I have no idea how they treat Gold members. I'm certain you'll get breakfast coupons, though.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
On my only stay there, as a Gold was upgraded to a nice end room, spacious with king bed. very nice bedding and very comfortable room. Breakfast coupons for two for restaurant - iir, came with standard continental breakfast with upgrade to hot contintental breakfast for $4 or so. Plenty of shuttles to airport or BART but I recall calling twice to get picked up at the airport arriving at 11pm. Nothing else nearby of much interest that I could see.
Old Jul 28, 2005, 8:26 pm

In my stays, what I get will often depend on what events are planned during my stay; brekkies is standard. OAK Hilton can be nice, or it can be harried and not very special at all, it all depends. On the whole it is a fair property with decent service; don't expect anything really special and if you get it, you will be pleasantly suprrised.

If you book via a travel agency, you should get stay /day credit and perks. If you book at a group or highly discounted rate from an opaque or "non-partner website," you are really not entitled to anything other than a discounted room, but if you charge something you create a folio and get some points - often the trigger for a stay credit.

Hotels differ on how they handle this: in Cairo, I have generally NOT received any credit for group rate stays, for instance.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 28, 2005 at 8:29 pm
Old Aug 13, 2005, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I took a bump on Alaska last night while headed home to Seattle. After having decided NOT to stay at this property while i was in town.....guess where Alaska put me up......The Oakland Airport Hilton.

As a Gold, i got NOTHING. Granted Alaska paid for the room but still, wouldnt it have made sense to show me a little gold treatment and perhaps win a new customer.

I will say, i liked the Bar and the Bed was comfy and the Lobby was nice. My room however in Building 5 left much to be desired.

My first hand expererience revealed.....

Junkie
Old Aug 13, 2005, 2:18 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Junkie
guess where Alaska put me up......The Oakland Airport Hilton.

As a Gold, i got NOTHING.
You should have received Gold VIP recognition/benefits even though you weren't eligible for points.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by pdhenry
You should have received Gold VIP recognition/benefits even though you weren't eligible for points.
NADA, ZIP, ZERO, ZILCH...No Water's , No Breakfast Certs, and most definately No Upgrade.

Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
I guess it could be argued that it was similar to a PL booking in that you didn't choose the hotel at the time of booking. But still...
Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:06 am

OAK Hilton update Dec 1-2 2006 stay

Hilton Hotel Oakland Airport
1 Hegenberger Rd.
Oakland CA 94261
Tel. +1.510.635.5000 / Fax +1.510.383.4062

Stay: December 1-2, 2006

This is a large hotel in the old style, several wings three stories high, airport-close (regular shuttle service,) one mile from McAfee Coliseum and full of conferences and meetings. Amenities include a pool, fitness room, sports bar, Amelia’s (Earhart) restaurant for breakfast and lunch (breakfast: Continental, US$9.50, buffet $13.50,) and Stanley’s Grill for dinner (beautiful sandblasted glass panels depicting African animals as dividers between booths, decent food and glacial service.) Parking is advertised as $9.50, but $6 appears on your bill. HSIA is cabled at $9.85 per 24 hours. I am staying at a cancelable AAA rate of $105 (taxes are 11% additional.)

On check-in I was told “your upgrade has come through; you are on the Executive floor.” I was assigned room 1319, in the building including the lobby (the restaurant is across the van access and parking, and you could get wet if it is raining.) The floor is actually the HHonors floor (vending, but you must go to the second floor for ice,) and is not particularly distinguishable from any other floor – though you want to be on the third floor in this hotel, regardless of which wing / building you are staying in.

The older construction means this place can be noisy, and the floors can boom and shake when someone isn’t considerate of fellow lodgers. At least with the third floor, you have no one above you – but you may still hear people walking by, or hear the alarm or television in adjacent rooms; my cabinet doors rattle when I walk by the drawer / tv cabinet, even if I walk softly, and you can feel floor irregularities as you walk thorugh the carpeting. The glazing is older single pane, so you may also hear turboprop aircraft from the general aviation side of the field departing, and some traffic noise is possible in some rooms. This morning, some people were active at 04:30, and it was all certainly audible, as was the claxon of some fool's motion sensor car alarm this morning.

The room is very spacious, with a king bed with very nice bedding (and a thin but very adequate duvet,) a table with ice bucket, glasses and coffee service, a chest of three drawers with television in the upper portion of the cabinet, small closet with extra covers, iron and board, bathrobes; there are two armchairs and small drum table, a luggage jack and small padded bench that can easily be used as a luggage jack, two night tables, usual Hilton clock-radio, enough pillows for the a family, two telephones, several lights (the room is adequately lit,) a spacious desk with a ridiculous adjustable armchair that requires me to use my laptop in the desk drawer, as the chair does not adjust high enough to allow comfortable use of the desk. The blackout curtains do a very adequate job of blocking extraneous light from the room, which is good given aircrews use this hotel. Air is central, but you can make the room cooler in winter or warmer in summer – not possible in some hotels with central HVAC.

The bathroom is small, square and floored with a marble tile also used for the sink area, a smallish tub with straight (not bowed) curtain rod and good shower head with anemic water pressure. A hair dryer and the usual La Source amenities are provided, but only hand (no bath sized) soaps were provided; a shoe rag and shoehorn are included, a nice extra from a hotel that doesn’t believe in many extras for Diamonds. Toweling is the nice and absorbent HH collection by Martex.

The room appears refurbished, the wall is covered with a light beige-gold paper with a subtle floral effect, carpet is multi-pattern with greens and beiges, all woods are in a medium brown, and everything is clean and bright. Service can be variable, and you can expect most staff will not greet unless you greet first, especially if engrossed in chit chat with each other. This feels like a place that does quite well due to location, so nobody puts much time into hospitality training.

My amenities as Diamond included the upgrade to the “Executive King” room, the robes in the closet, two one pint / 237 ml bottles of water, and a chit for the Continental breakfast (fruits, cereals, yoghurts, juices, pastries but no croissants, or even toast - which must be requested, coffee or tea – a bit miserly.) One can “upgrade” to buffet American (scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage) for an additional US$4.00.

Executive summary: I chose to stay here when it is convenient (using OAK airport, or having a client nearby – last night, I was taking refuge from Friday afternoon / evening traffic to Sacramento and the Sierra, after departing my client’s venue a half-mile away at nearly 5:00 PM,) and when the price is right – it can be high during peaK demand periods, and the rack rate on this room is shown as “Executive King - $289.” (Standard king rack is $269, suite is $999 .) Caveat: I would never stay here during high school graduation periods – I have seen this hotel chock-a-block with students attending their proms, and their parents secure numbers of rooms for them.

Alternate properties: Hilton Garden Inn San Leandro (south, under five miles from OAK,) Homewood Suites Oakland-Waterfront (north, near Jack London Square, under 6 miles,) Hampton Inn Hayward (eight miles, south,) and the new Hilton Garden Inn San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge in Emeryville, just under ten miles away. I like the Homewood Suites, and use them when my clients are in Oakland proper; the new HGI is priced very nicely right now, and is expected to open December 30.)

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 3, 2017 at 11:37 am
Old Aug 7, 2007, 7:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Hilton Oakland Airport

Hi,

I am getting ready to echeckin at the Hilton Oakland Airport. I have these options for Exec Rooms: 2326, 1106, 1202, 1304.

Is there any way to tell which (if any) are in the main building?

thx,
cat22
Old Aug 24, 2008, 8:16 pm

Paramount Suite - Room 5309

I just finished a 3 night stay (AAA Rate $94/nt, Thurs-Sun) finally using up my $75 off certificates (Hawaii Red Cross). Total for 3 nights including tax and parking was around $120.

At check-in, I was originally given an "executive level" room on the first floor of the main building. When I got into the room I noticed that there was no mini-fridge. I went back to the front desk and asked if they would bring me one...but then I followed up by asking if their suites have refrigerators. The guy said yeah...let me see what I can do.

He sends me back to 5309, building 5 near the rear of the property and I find the Paramount Suite. First thing I notice was that the door was double wide. Inside, there was a nice vanity table in the entrance directing you left or right. The suite was essentially two rooms that had been joined as one. Towards the left, where the bathroom would be was converted nicely to a small kitchen area. There was a large sitting area with sofa(bed),two large plush chairs, coffee table, and a 27" tube TV. Towards the right was the bathroom, typical king bed, desk, another 27" tube TV, and a small dining table (36" or so) with two chairs. Windows were plentiful and faced the general aviation area of OAK. Two huge closets with sliding doors were in the room as well.

Decor was very old fashioned. Although I must say that this hotel would have been rad around 1983. I wasn't expecting anything fancy to begin with - the hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable. A/C worked fine and water pressure was decent. Noise from the airport was minimal. Parking was $9.75 - plenty of spaces. I got a free day of wi-fi too.

Staff were easygoing, practical, and very down to earth. The check in guy volunteered to microwave anything in their office for me if I wanted. I didn't even ask about a microwave but I thought it was nice for someone to be thinking ahead for me. I bumped into the cleaning ladies in the hall several times and they were always smiling and thanked me for the tip that I had left them. They sometimes asked when I would be out of the room (not so traditional per se) but I thought it was nice that I could help them organize their work load as well.

Overall it was a nice stay, especially as I was upgraded to a spacious suite. I would go back if I needed a cheap place to stay in the East Bay. It's a modest hotel, minutes from the Oakland Aiport, with the staff being more impressive than the facilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.